9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 9:36 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11

victoria_thomson2013

I have installed this program on 21 of my school computers (we have the appropriate licenses)  and when the students attempt to use the program by clicking on editor they get three messages.

First they get:

-Premiere elements has encountered an error.  [..\..\Src\Core\Preferences.cpp-338]

then

-Runtime Error!  Program C:\Program Files|A...  This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.  Please contact the applications suport team for more information.

then

-Adobe Premiere Elements 11 has stopped working  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, please close the program.

My tech lead had said that a few years ago a fellow tech had a similar problem and was able to speak with someone fairly knowledgable and they had supplied him with an .exe file that he ran and fixed this issue.

The computers the program is installed on are Dell Latitude E5520 Windows 7 Professional 64bit machines.

They have an intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60 GHZ

Installed memory 4.00 GB (3.90 GB usable)

Would anyone have a suggestion?

I have looked online and tried the deleting %appdata%  suggestion and it made no difference.

I have also looked for the preference file and renamed it and didn't have success with that either. 

I'm quite interested in a solution as I have a teacher who would really like her laptops back in her classroom with the Premiere Elements 11 working.

Thank you!

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As John T. points out, this is PrPro, and I will Move your post to the PrElements Forum.

Your link and any e-mail subscriptions will follow.

Hunt

[Moved to PrE Forum]

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11
            whsprague Level 4

I'll try a first guess.  Your computers have barely enough memory to run any video editing system, including Premier Elements.  So my guess is that there are other programs running in the background that are using resources and not leaving enough for Premier Elements.

Good luck!

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

victoria_thomson2013

Does each user of the 21 Windows 7 64 bit computers get the same 3 messages Premiere Elements 11 error messages that you present?

If so, when does this occur....is each opening the program to its Welcome Screen, selecting Video Editor/New Project when these events occur?

Is that as far as anyone has gotten? In other words, no imports involved at this stage when things come to a halt?

Are these computer part of a school network? Or, are they essentially standalone work stations? I have never been involved with a school computer network for this purpose. What else is installed on these computer besides Premiere Elements 11? The level of computer resources that you describe should not be causing the problems that you describe. But, what about hard drive space (total capacity and free)?

Because of the school network aspect of this that probably exist, it would be to your advantage to contact Adobe Education for assistance in setting up these computers with Premiere Elements 11. My suggestions would first involve deleting the settings file. In a standalone setup for Windows 7 64 bit, the path would be

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and is the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you should delete. But, under the circumstances, it might be advisable to delete the whole 11.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Typically Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives needs to be active so that you can see the whole path.

The other givens are:

QuickTime installed on the same computer as Premiere Elements

and

Premiere Elements run as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Priviledges.

However, for a single computer, I am comfortable with those suggestions. But for a school network of 21 computers I have no idea how that is executed.

You might want to ask Adobe initially via its Adobe Chat for guidance on this matter. The link involved is:

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=using-my-product-or-se rvice

When the link opens, click on "I still need help." to bring up the Adobe Chat pop up.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11
                victoria_thomson2013 Level 1

Sorry I missed the hard drive size they are 320GB hard drives.

The following programs are installed:

Microsoft office

Smart Notebook

Google Chrome

Google Earth

Google Sketchup

Adobe Flash

Adobe Reader

Java

Photostory

Quicktime

VLC media player

Ultra VNC (which will be replaced by Team viewer soon)

Deep Freeze

And once I have the Premiere elements working I will be installed photoshop elements. 

There is LOTS of room on the hard drive.  I don't have one in front of me today as I rotate to different schools but as we work off a network, all the personal files, photos and such are stored on the students H drive which is located on the server, so space is not required for the students work.  Then once the laptops are set up and optimized we install Deep Freeze which sets the computer back to the optomized settings and condition after every restart.

Yes every computer that the Premiere elements has been installed on gives the same error. Which is what leads me to believe there is an issue in where / how the preferences folder is being pointed. 

I do apologize for posting in the incorrect forum there was no listing in the drop down menu for premiere elements which is why I chose the Adobe Premiere pro.  It was after waiting for over an hour and a half for the chat support to go from 5 users in front of me to 3 users in front of me then back to 5 ,down to 1 and then back up again to 2 that I decided to go to the forum as it was the end of the day and I had gotten nowhere with Chat.

I realize working in a school environment is very different from most home settings, which was why I had initially wanted to chat.  Thank you for moving my question to the correct forum and thank you for the suggestions.  When I am back at the school with the laptops with the adobe premiere issue I will follow the suggestions posted and I will keep you up to date with my progress.

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>on the students H drive which is located on the server

You are most likely going to have to copy student files to the local computer for work, and back to the network at the end of the class... more below

Any Premiere doesn't work properly, if at all, over a network

-see messages #1 and #3 in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771151

-you MUST give all users administrator accounts to use Premiere

-#5 Server 2008 is UNsupported http://forums.adobe.com/thread/851602

-a work around, of sorts http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957523

-and not on a "domain" http://forums.adobe.com/thread/858977

-http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/networks-removable-media-dva.html

-also PreEl see #5 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1017199

-more PreEl problem http://forums.adobe.com/thread/975117

1 person found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11
                    victoria_thomson2013 Level 1

So I'm taking from the information I've looked at so far that it is simply because it doesn't like the network.

Disappointing. 

We have started installing Adobe Photoshop Elements and the strange part of that is that for Photoshop elements there is no issue it is working perfectly. 

If this was truely a shortcoming of Adobe, would it not also be Photoshop with the issue and not just Premiere elements?

I haven't given up but I do have other issues at the school that do need my attention.

Meanwhile I have tried it logging in as administrator and that does seem to solve the issue. 

I have advised the teacher to log the students in as administrator to save their work to their thumb drives and to try the work around until or if I find another solution.  

Thank you for your advice I do appreciate your time.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>truely a shortcoming of Adobe, would it not also be Photoshop with the issue and not just Premiere elements?

You would have to ask Adobe about that... but I will say that Adobe uses programming teams, so what is done in Photoshop does not necessarily carry over to Premiere... other than some common GUI elements

Probably not in your budget, but if you REALLY must have network software, read http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeanywhere.html

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

victoria_thomson2013

Thanks for the update.

As I suggested in my post 4, one of the givens for Premiere Elements is

Premiere Elements run as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Priviledges.

Apparently you have found that aspect of the matter to be related to your problem. Please try to pursue that matter with Adobe Education or whomever is responsible for setting up a permissions setup. I have not work with setting up multi computers for a school situation.

ATR