9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 6:39 PM by Interpolater

Camera Raw 8.2 in PS CS6 doesn't recognise new lens & camera profiles

Interpolater

I recently upgraded from PS CS5 to PS CS6 and have run the latest software updates for OSX 10.7.5 (ie PS CS6 13.05 and ACR 8.2.0.94).  My old Canon 7D profiles are still available but, strangely, the camera and lens profiles I expected to see for the Canon 6D and Ricoh GR (among other late models) aren't shown in Camera Raw or PS Lens Correction Filters.  Is this a known issue and/or is there a fix?

BTW - I can see some profiles were downloaded to HD:Library/Application Support/Adobe etc - were they meant to have gone someplace else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Camera Raw 8.2 in PS CS6 doesn't recognise new lens & camera profiles
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

You mentioned camera and lens profiles that you "expected" to see -- which profiles are these, specifically?

• 2. Re: Camera Raw 8.2 in PS CS6 doesn't recognise new lens & camera profiles
            MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Btw, in terms of location on the Mac, make sure the profiles are placed in your "user" folder, as opposed to the "system" or "shared" folder.  For camera profiles, that means put them here:

/Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

and for lens profiles, put them here:

/Users/YOUR_USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0

where YOUR_USERNAME should be replaced with your actual user name.

I'm guessing you're putting your (custom) profiles in the shared/system folder, and we discontinued reading from those locations in newer ACR versions (as part of a performance/speedup process).

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Camera Raw 8.2 in PS CS6 doesn't recognise new lens & camera profiles
              Interpolater Level 1

Thanks very much for your replies.

Regarding your first question, I was expecting to see profiles for the Ricoh GR, Canon 6D, Canon 5D Mk III - which are apparently supported by ACR 8.2.

Regarding your second question, I think the file location thing is the genesis of my issue.  But I'm not accessing bespoke camera or lens profiles - just the ones that come through ACR - and they are landing in whatever place the install process sends them to.  How do I fix this?

• 4. Re: Camera Raw 8.2 in PS CS6 doesn't recognise new lens & camera profiles
                Interpolater Level 1

Just did some checking - definitely no profiles sitting around in shared folders as I suspected there wouldn't be.

Then I checked my user library as you suggest and there are no camera or lens profiles  (other than index.dat and psache.dat respectively) in the places you mention.  However, under HD:Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw etc I can see some of the profiles I'm expecting to see.

Were they meant to be somewhere else?  Any ideas?

• 5. Re: Camera Raw 8.2 in PS CS6 doesn't recognise new lens & camera profiles
                  Interpolater Level 1

Spent two hours on the phone with the Help Desk.  Still no answers.

Neither plug-ins, preferences or permissions seem to be an issue.  But all the new Adobe camera/lens profiles I'm expecting to see in Camera Raw and the Lens Correction Filters appear to be housed in HD:Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw etc and aren't being accessed.  Must be some hangover from having had PS CS5 (which had to be uninstalled - was getting an error message of U44M1P7 when trying to install PS CS6)?

Any ideas anyone?

• 6. Re: Camera Raw 8.2 in PS CS6 doesn't recognise new lens & camera profiles
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Application Support location is for Camera-Raw-Installed profiles. 

The Users location is for user-downloaded or user-created lens profiles.  You can download community-supplied profiles with the lens-profile-downloader available at Adobe.com.

In the past, user-downloaded and user-created profiles could all be mixed into the Application Support folder and be found, but some time back, Adobe started recognizing only their installed profiles in the Application Support area and required downloaded profiles to be in the Users area.  This may be what has happened in your case.

When you asked your question, you used the term Downloaded, so I think Eric Chan thought you meant non-Adobe-installed profiles and gave the folder for user-installed profiles.

If you currently have user-installed profiles mixed in with your Adobe-installed profiles in the Application Support folder—they may have an older date/timestamp, then just move them from where you found them to the Users folder location Eric mentioned.

Another wrinkle is that raw and non-raw profiles are distinct, as well, so when you’re expecting to see lenses supported, make sure you’re looking at a raw file from the camera in question, not a JPG.  Adobe rarely supplies JPG-lens profiles.

• 7. Re: Camera Raw 8.2 in PS CS6 doesn't recognise new lens & camera profiles
                      Interpolater Level 1

Thanks ssprengel - that was helpful.  I have no user-downloaded or created profiles so it's consistent that nothing should be in the user folders.  Thanks for clarifying that.  I can confirm that I'm only working on raw files.

But the resolution still remains a bit of a mystery...

• 8. Re: Camera Raw 8.2 in PS CS6 doesn't recognise new lens & camera profiles
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Profiles are for lenses and camera manufacturers not specific camera models, except the two classes of full-frame-sensor vs crop-frame sensor sizes. 

If you think you see the specific lens profiles from the camera manufacturers then try copying those to the Users location and see if they show up.  Also check the timestamp to see if they are much older.  Recently when I checked my lens-profile folders, comparing between the profiles installed by Lightroom and the profiles installed by Camera Raw, I found 3 profiles from a few years back that were no longer existent in one of the two places, though I forget which.  I’m pretty sure they were less-common profiles, like maybe for Olympus. 

You might zip-up a few example raw-format photos that aren’t getting a lens-profile picked up for them in ACR 8.2 and upload that ZIP to somewhere like http://www.dropbox.com/  and post a public download link, here, so others can test and see if the lens profiles are being unseen universally or just on your computer.  If there are only two or three then no need to zip, but if there are a bunch, then download many photos, one-by-one is inconvenient so several collected in a ZIP file is easier for those testing them.

• 9. Re: Camera Raw 8.2 in PS CS6 doesn't recognise new lens & camera profiles
                          Interpolater Level 1

Thanks again ssprengel.  I'll play around with a few possibilities you've mentioned and see how far it gets me.