14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 8:14 AM by macslogger

How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?

macslogger

I need to restore/replace Indesign files (a book and its chapters and placed but not imbedded graphics).

How do I do this?

• 1. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're going to have to give a lot more in explanation.

I have read your post several times and can't make heads or tails of it.

• 2. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?
            macslogger Level 1

OK

I have a series of indesign docs/files/"chapters" that are in a book file.

As I have worked on this I periodically made a copy of the folder "A" that holds the chapters and the book file, renamed it "A 1".

I then moved  the renamed folder ("A1") to a (bigger) "master" bu folder "MASTER-BU"

This larger folder, MASTER-BU, held an ever-growing series of book/chapter bu folders (A-1 A-2 A-3 etc.).

The MASTER-BU folder was getting huge and slowing down my general computer bu (time machine and sugarsynch/cloud) so I cc most of the older book bu's (A-15 A-16 etc.)   to a separate hd and deleted the a-15,1-16 etc. from my computer.

When I next opened the working cc of my book, and opened a chapter from inside the book menu of chapts,  I only had the text part of the chapter files. I closed the book and tried opening one of the same chapter files independently. Same thing.

Not missing links to graphics, NO graphics.

Tried a bu version from the MASTER-BU folder that was still on my computer. Same thing.

Now I am trying to figure out what to open to not open or move to regain the full chapter files. (I can easily rebuild a book if I have the chapter files.)

Not missing links to graphics, NO graphics.

Tried a bu version from the MASTER-BU folder that was still on my computer. Same thing.

Now I am trying tio figure out what to open ot not open or move to regain the full chapter files. (I can easiliy rebuild a book if I have the chapter files.)

• 3. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As a Windows user I have only limited experience with Time Machine, but as I recall you can copy and paste from it the same as from the finder.

• 4. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?
                macslogger Level 1

I have tried this and stil no graphics.

I was looking at an earlier article you wrtoe abt indesign preferences and manually removing tehm

I have cs6 and I am finding:

"InDesign defaults" file is the file path you gave

Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/<Version 8.0>/<en-US>/ InDesign defaults InDesign SavedData

(there is also a file InDesign Def283440045668 just above this file 

BUT the InDesign “savedData” is in

Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/<Version 8.0>/<en-US>/ InDesign SavedData

Are these still the two (or 3) files to remove and save elsewhere, then reboot indesign?

• 5. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?

The defaults files haven't changed, but I can't swear the locations didn't move in Mavericks, if that's what you have. I don't know what InDesign Def283440045668  might be. Is ID open? Does it go away when closed?

I don't think this is a prefs issue, though. Have you tried exporting one of these files to .idml? Complete disappearance of the graphics is pretty bizarre.

• 6. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?
                    macslogger Level 1

InDesign Def283440045668 is there when indesign is closed (not running)

I did try exporting to idml, and still nothing.

is it safe to pull the pref related files id'd above and reboot?

• 7. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?
                      macslogger Level 1

additional clue

I opemed a file that has not been associated with any book, and it HAS graphics.

But all sorts of saved versions of "chapter files" that have been at some point linked to a book file, don't seem to have graphics. It's like they reverted to some older (unidentified) file from some iunidentified bu folder...?

• 8. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?

Always safe to delete or rename InDesign Defaults an InDesign SavedData, but not always helpful.

Can you open the files from the book directly, without opening the .indb?

I's not smething simple as a layer turned off, is it, or an attribut set to non-pinting and you're in Preview or Overprint Preview mode?

• 9. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?
                          macslogger Level 1

I can easily open files, via book or independently.

As I go through the "current" version of each chapter file I am realizing what has happened is that somehow the "current" versions of files (by name AND modification dates) are NOT current, but reverting to some other version....

This includes bu copies that were backed up before all this happened...?

I guess I will go thru and see what I can salvage in this manner. But I do NOT understand how so many versions of files reverted?

• 10. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?
                            macslogger Level 1

Soooo I don't know how it did it, but5 somehow when Indesign opned files it was actualy using an older version of those files.

I went back and between 2 BU versions can reconstruct all of the chapters.

What is the proper way to bu Indesign files?

• 11. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?

Books are a special problem, as I mentioned in your other thread. No matter how many times you copy a .indb file and where you put the copies, they ALL always point to the same .indd docs that you added originally. If you move copies of those docs to a new location, changes to the copies will not be reflected in any version of the Book unless you specifically add the copied docs to a new .indb file and work on them through that new .indb. This can be very confusing.

To back up a book, use the Package Book For Print command from the Book panel flyout menu and it will copy all the files into a single folder, along with the links (if you don't uncheck that uption inthe dialog), and it will update the individual files to point to the copies of the links (which is why you may not want to copy them) and update the .indb to point to the copied .indd files. You should continue to edit the orignal copies of everything rather than the periodic backups.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?
                                macslogger Level 1

THANK YOU!

I will do this as I go.

Your timely and specific direction is priceless. Is it good hygiene to clear the preferences files periodically (or should I simply bu them up periodically)?

• 13. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?

I keep a clean copy of the prefs someplace convenient if I need to replace them, but there's usually no need to do the actual replacement. I doubt I've needed to do it here more than once a year, if that. It's a "repair" procedure rather than a maintenance item.

• 14. Re: How to restore Indesign files (a book) from Timemachine?
                                    macslogger Level 1

thanksd again, I am off to finish out this project (and properly back it up)