15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 2:22 PM by Ian Blogs

changing endnote characters

Ian Blogs Level 3

I have a great many endnote characters throughout an article. They are styled with the full stop after the endnote number. Could anyone tell me what to set in the find/change panel to change 'endnote character period' to 'period endnote character'?

• 1. Re: changing endnote characters
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you really mean endnotes and not footnotes? I don't think you can swap the period and the number on footnotes, but if you mean endnotes they are not a built-in feature and must have been created manually or by script, so the numbers may be accessible.

If that's the case, then I think you could try Find: ^(\d+)(\.) and change to $2$1 (limit the scope to the paragraph style applied to your notes would be a good idea).

• 2. Re: changing endnote characters
            Ian Blogs Level 3

Untitled-1.jpgThank you for your help Peter. I am looking to change the endnote character in the text. They are subscripted and have a character style. Hope there is a solution because I have hundreds of these changes.

See diagram sorry it is so small.

• 3. Re: changing endnote characters

OK, still need to know if this is endnotes or footnotes, and how the numbers were added. If they are "real" footnote markers you need to find (~F)(\.) and change to $2$1 or if they are number you typed in, then find (?<+\l)(\d+)(\.) and change to $2$1

• 4. Re: changing endnote characters
                Ian Blogs Level 3

Don't give up Peter. They are endnotes imported from Word. The code you gave me does not find them. I am putting them in grep. Is that where they go?

Thanks a million

Ian

• 5. Re: changing endnote characters

That's where they go. Did you try both versions?

• 6. Re: changing endnote characters
                    Ian Blogs Level 3

Yes I did. I have established that I can find each of the endnote characters by searching for their character style bu tcan't figure out how to change the position of the period.

• 7. Re: changing endnote characters

I think at this point I need to see a sample page from the file...

I'll send you an upload link.

• 8. Re: changing endnote characters
                        [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

1. InDesign does not support 'endnotes', so it bluntly converts endnote numbers to literal digits (albeit with the correct endnote ref style applied), and the endnotes themself to plain dumb text.

2. You cannot search for (superscript number)(regular period) -- you cannot mix *formatting* in searches, nor in replaces.

3. While you can search for a superscript number, you can not replace it with "period (regular found number)" -- the period will also be superior.

4. Next, change superior periods to "Normal" position.

5. Now you have this.¹. The final period can be removed using this: search for

(?<!.).

and set the Position to "Normal". Replace with nothing to remove the periods (and, honestly, you should do so one by one. Any period where 'nothing' in Normal position is before it will be considered; those at the start of a sentence, table cell, or story, and also those with some subscript text).

• 9. Re: changing endnote characters
                          Ian Blogs Level 3

Thanks Jongware. I don't understand your fourth point

'4. Next, change superior periods to "Normal" position'.

What are superior periods? Where is normal position?

• 10. Re: changing endnote characters
                            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

(First let me rectify a little "oops": use this search in point 5, not (not not not) the one I told you to.

(?<!.)\.

)

A superior point is a regular point but with superscript applied. "Normal" is in the same dropdown list in Basic Formatting labeled "Position" as "Superscript", "Subscript", and a couple of lesser used items.

• 11. Re: changing endnote characters
                              Ian Blogs Level 3

Thanks for your reply Jongware. I have to go out now but will get back to it when I return.

• 12. Re: changing endnote characters

i had a chance to look, and I found the following to work:

Find (?<=\l)(\d+)(\.) and change to $2$1 (sorry, there was a typo in that the first time). This will move the period, but it will make it styled with the note marker style, and the last digit will not have the style, so next find \. with the style applied and set the change format character style to None. Leave the change field blank.

Finally, to fix the digits, find (?<=\.)\d+ and set the change format to the marker character style. This is the dangerous one. If there are other cases where you have numbers with dots in them -- dates or phionenumbers in dotted format, or decimal numbers, for example, they will be found as well.

• 13. Re: changing endnote characters
                                  Ian Blogs Level 3

Peter I really appreciate you going to all this trouble. Maybe you should give up with me because I don't understand some of the steps.

What do you mean by 'styled with the note marker style'

What do you mean by 'so next find \. with the style applied'. What style and applied where?

Sorry for all this. I will understand if you give up.

• 14. Re: changing endnote characters

OK sorry, I should have been more explicit.

In the lower half of the find/change dialog are two large boxes marked Find Format and Change Format. each has a trashcan symbol and a magnifying glys symbol next to them. Click the magnifier to open the formatting dialog and you can search for specific attributes or styles. The trashcan clears the formatting.

For the first query that swaps the position you don't need any find formatting, but now that I think about it, it would be a great idea to open the Change formatting and  choose the Endnote Reference character style in the dropdown. That will eliminate the need to do a third query to fix the last digit, so:

Find (?<=\l)(\d+)(\.)

Change $2$1 and set the change formatting to Endnote Reference

then

Find \. and set the find formatting to Endnote Reference

Leave the change field blank, but set the change formatting to the None character style.

That should do it.

• 15. Re: changing endnote characters
                                      Ian Blogs Level 3

I've done it!! Thanks so much Peter for all the trouble you went to I really appreciate it. Your patient and courteous manner makes this forum a pleasure to deal with.

Ian