5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2013 7:55 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements: Do I Need Upgrades?

BPortnoy

I have a Dell Inspiron 580 desktop running an i5 @ 3.20 GHz, 6 GB ram, with a stock Intel HD video card.  Best I can tell, "Total Available Graphics Memory: 1696 MB" 

I've been trying to run Premiere Elements 9 for a couple years now, but it tends to crash frequently and/or be very slow.

I'm looking for opinions on my best course of action at this point...do I:

1. Buy and install a new graphics card?  If so, 1 GB?  2 GB?  Any recommendation on an inexpensive one that will do the job?

2. Buy and install additional RAM?  If so, how much?

3. Upgrade to PE 12?  Just use Premiere Pro?

4. Sell my system and start over with an i7, more RAM, etc.?  I'd obviously strongly prefer not to have to do this...

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you!

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements: Do I Need Upgrades?
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Thanks, John. I'll move it there.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements: Do I Need Upgrades?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

BPortnoy

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application whether running in 32 bit or 64 bit system and as such has all the limitation of 32 bit system, that is maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3 GB of which are available. In that context, your 6 GB RAM is not being recognized or available to the program. So, installing more RAM is not the answer.

Free hard drive space is another factor. You did not mention it.

Premiere Elements (any version) does not require a "fancy" video card. It is not in the same regard compared to Premiere Pro. So, I do not see a super (and an expensive) video card marking the difference that you seek.

If you use Premiere Elements 12 instead, that will be a 64 bit application running in your 64 bit system and can take full advantage of the 64 bit system resources...you might even consider taking the installed RAM to at least 8 GB. So far, Premiere Elements 11 performance of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit has been great for me. I cannot say the same for Premiere Elements 12 especially on Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit. So, if you can get a good deal on version 11, consider it. But, for starter, you might want to download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe and determine how it actually works in your computer environment.

As for Premiere Pro CS6, I am not sure where that stands now. I am not sure if it is now only on the subscription basis. Premiere Elements is not and can still be purchased as online download from Adobe or a online download or boxed version from your favorite retailer.

Lots to consider. Do not jump into anything.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

Add On....remember you will be facing new workspaces....Timeline and Scene versus PE11 Expert and Quick PE12 Expert, Quick, Expert Guided, and Quick Guided.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements: Do I Need Upgrades?
              BPortnoy Level 1

A.T.,

Thanks so much for this reply.  I'll look into PE 11 and 12 trials as a first step. 

There's a full TB of the 1.5 TB drive of free HD space, so I wouldn't think that's it.

Again, thank you again for taking the time to respond with all of this -- it was VERY helpful.

I'll keep you posted.

B.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements: Do I Need Upgrades?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

B

Thanks for the update.

Just a reminder...Adobe is offering only Premiere Elements 12 as the tryout, current version. The Premiere Elements 11 tryout from Adobe is no longer available.

If you are forced to buy without a tryout, make sure you can get your money back in 30 days if you find that the program is not for you or your intended project.

Wishing you success and looking forward to learning of your progress.

Thanks again for the follow up.

ATR