11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2013 1:43 PM by Mark Mapes

Distorted playback issue Premiere 7.1.0

xavier108

In the new PP7.1.0 version the imported clips on timeline show normal playback, but once any effect is aplied and rendered the clip looks normal on pause but gets distored on playback. Exporting the clip or sequence will not result in any distortion.

paused.jpgplayback.jpg

Any idea how to fix this? After update this problem suddenly happend. I did not change any settings compared to the older version.

• 1. Re: Distorted playback issue Premiere 7.1.0
          filmhutch Level 1

I'm having the same issue too after installing the latest update.  Would love to know what is causing it.  Very annoying.  I also noticed that I now have double of every effect/transition in my effects panel.  Running Mac OS 10.8.5 on a MBP.

effects bin.jpg

• 2. Re: Distorted playback issue Premiere 7.1.0
            xavier108 Level 1

Yes me too, double effects as well. Running windows 7 professional 64 bit.

• 3. Re: Distorted playback issue Premiere 7.1.0
              Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Re: the problem with dupes of all the effects, see this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5806413#5806413.

If the solution presented there does not fix the frame distortion you're reporting, please specify which effects manifest this bug as well as sequence settings and clip properties. A screenshot of the Effect Controls panel could be useful.

• 4. Re: Distorted playback issue Premiere 7.1.0
                xavier108 Level 1

Hi Mark,

the double effects are gone but the skewness is still there. I made a new test project and whenever I render some video effect it gives a skewed playback. Audio effects are not giving any trouble. In this sceenshot I applied a 0% sharpness effect and after rendering it gives the distortion. If I deselect the effect in the effects control panel it plays back normal. I use pal 25p 5dmk3 dslr footage.

clip properties.jpgsequence settings.jpg

effects control panel.jpg

• 5. Re: Distorted playback issue Premiere 7.1.0
                  xavier108 Level 1

I also did now a total new instal of Premiere but the issue is still excisting.. Except for the double effects, these are not appearing there now.

• 6. Re: Distorted playback issue Premiere 7.1.0

Thanks for the screenshots. Nothing jumps out at me as a likely culprit. I reproduced the case as closely as possible and cannot repro.

The OS does not appear to be involved since xavier108 is on Windows and Filmhutch is on Mac.

1. What graphics card are you on? And it's driver version? Does the system happen to have two graphics cards, or an integrated graphics chip plus a card?
                    2. Is GPU acceleration enabled for Mercury Playback? If so, please switch to Software Only to see if that's involved.
                    3. So this problem manifests only if the clip has a video effect applied? If that's correct, then I'm guessing that the video is squished only in the Program Monitor, not the Source Monitor. Is that correct?
                    4. Does this happen with any other content or just the DSLR clips? How about a "synthetic" like Universal Counting Leader or Bars & Tone with the same properties (1920x1080, 1.0)
                    • 7. Re: Distorted playback issue Premiere 7.1.0
                      xavier108 Level 1

Thank you for your reply and help. I did further resreach and found where the problem exactly occurs. The playback reolution in the program monitor was at 1/4 and setting it to 1/2 or full made the skewness disappear. So the 1/4 playback resolution is causing it for me.

To answer your questions:

1) On laptop I  use graphic card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (total graphics memory 512 MB) with driver version: 8.632.1.2000  and on workstation ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series with driver version: 8.632.1.2000

2) Mercury playback set at software only for both laptop and workstation.

3) Yes only with effect. Yes only in program monitor. The source monitor and the reference monitor both do not have trouble with 1/4 or the other settings.

4) It further appeas not only with dslr footage, I tried some others as well. The 1920x1080 synthetics also gives distortion at 1/4th, not at 1/2 or full.

• 8. Re: Distorted playback issue Premiere 7.1.0
                        Shane P Level 3

I am experiencing the same issue since updating to 7.1. It only happens when in 1/4 res. When I first saw it I thought to myself "well maybe they changed how fractal resolution displays". It didn't really effect my workflow so I didn't say anything. I did not experience the double effects issue but I indeed have the fractal resolution display issue.

Win 7 Pro 64 SP1

I will make an edit to this post and post my GFX specs when I am on the workstation a little later. I will also do some tests as well as post results.

----

Here are my specs.

512MB GeForce 9400 GT (MSI)

Driver Version: 9.18.13.3165

Driver Date: 10/23/2013

-----

I did some testing and the distortion only happens when I render preview. If I do not render and just play the sequence thee is no distortion.

It is happening with AVCHD .MTS clips which were imported via the media browser.

• 9. Re: Distorted playback issue Premiere 7.1.0

Kudos, xavier108. You nailed it down pretty well. The keys seem to be

• content that uses ImporterFastMPEG
                          • Mercury Playback Engine set to Software Only
                          • Playback Resolution set to 1/4

In my experience, it reproes in the Source Monitor as well as the Program Mon and regardless of whether any effect is applied.

Thanks for the additional info.

• 10. Re: Distorted playback issue Premiere 7.1.0
                            Shane P Level 3

Sorry for the delay, i added some info.

• 11. Re: Distorted playback issue Premiere 7.1.0

This bug is fixed in the CC7.2 update.