3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 4:25 PM by [Jongware]

s there a full reference document for all scripting functions etc?. I cannot see it on tutorials.

RalphCCL

I found 'myGetRandom' in the scripting manual but the interpreter doesn't like it.

Could do with comprehensive list please if anyone knows a link.

• 1. Re: s there a full reference document for all scripting functions etc?. I cannot see it on tutorials.
          RalphCCL Level 1

I have editted out that particular function but having a full reference manual would be useful.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: s there a full reference document for all scripting functions etc?. I cannot see it on tutorials.
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Moved to the scripting forum... They're more likely to know here.

• 3. Re: s there a full reference document for all scripting functions etc?. I cannot see it on tutorials.
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

1. In the ExtendScript Toolkit Editor (ESTK): in the menu "Help" you will see "Object Model Viewer". It defaults to the Core Javascript Classes; select the Adobe InDesign object model for your version, then browse the Classes, Types, and Properties and Methods lists or use the Search field.

2. When you are tired of browsing without finding what you need, go to http://jongware.mit.edu. You will see a directory listing of about a dozen folders, each one for a different scriptable Adobe application and version. Select the one you need (for CS6, for example, you'd select http://jongware.mit.edu/idcs6js/

3. .. and up comes a friendly, large, welcome page. Click the section you are interested in for an overview of functions (Text Suite, Color Suite, whatever) and you'll get an alphabetical listing of all classes in that section. Select any of them to view coherent information.

4. Or wander down the page to the "Index" link for an alphabetic list of all classes.

5. Unfortunately, the HTML-only version does not support free text search. For that you can use Google -- the pages have been up there longtime, and have been indexed extensively. Googling about anything related to InDesign's Javascript will point to one of these pages.

6. If you are on a Windows system, you can download the entire set in easy-to-use CHM format. You can also use this on a Mac, but then you need to download a CHM File Viewer somewhere. On my personal page http://www.jongware.com/idjshelp.html you can find downloadable versions. The big Pro of the CHM version is that a good viewer allows easy access to the full index, as well as free text searching. Highly recommended if you only have an inkling of what you are looking for.

7. 'myGetRandom' is not a standard function (the "my" at the start is actually a dead giveaway). If you read that page you found it on, you can see it defines a function called "myGetRandom" in the very same sample script. It pays to pay attention.