2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2013 2:13 PM by AmateurIdler RSS

Illustrator quits after opening

I've used Illustrator (CS6) succesffuly for months, but in the past couple of days, after I open it and try to mouse over any toolbars or click on artwork, I get the spinning beach ball of death indefinitely.  After moving to another application and trying to go back to Illustrator, it will not come up at all and I have to force quit it.

I'm on a Mac Pro.

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated and probably make me do a very happy dance.

• 1. Re: Illustrator quits after opening
          Mike Gondek2 MVP

reset your preferences

Immediatley after booting illustrator hold down shift, option, command

if that does not work a more aggresive rest of your other preferences.

move this folder to your desktop

/Users/(YOUR USERNAME)/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings/

• 2. Re: Illustrator quits after opening
            AmateurIdler Community Member

Thanks for the response!

When I did the "hold down shift, option, command," it did allow me to click around in the program without giving me the beach ball of death, but I can't find things like toolbars (the option for tools doesn't come up in the Windows drop down.) Is that normal? Is there a way, in the weirdly sparse mode, that I can get things like the toolbars back?  It did have warnings here and there about plug-ins being gone so I assme that means the reset was successful.

When I tried the "move the file" option, the problem persisted.