6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 4:59 AM by Peter Spier

older version

cihon

where can I download an older version. CC (new) says it won't run on my os (windows xp). Won't let me download either. Gonna get a new computer for xmas (or so I think) so no sense buying one on trying to upgrade now. But I need to open and update and old Pagemaker 6.5 doc. Just too much stuff to retype, and all I have right now is Illustrator 5. Downloaded upgrade of that to 6 right after I bought it, but 6 doesn't run either.

Thanks

• 1. Re: older version
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Your CC subscription should allow you to download CS6 as well (you need to change the version in the dropdown on the download page) and the trial is still available, too. You need CS6 to open PM files in any case -- CC no longer has that ability.

• 2. Re: older version
            cihon Level 1

Confused. Do you mean Illustrator CS6. I did download that but it doesn't start up. It was a free upgrade after I bought CS5 and they were about to come out with 6.

Illustrator will open an old pagemaker file? Or are you talking about InDesign?

Thanks

• 3. Re: older version

No, I mean InDesign.

• 4. Re: older version
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Cihon,

You posted your question in the INDESIGN forum, but you're saying you only have Illustrator. That is what's causing the confusion.

Illustrator definitely CANNOT open a Pagemaker file, but InDesign CS6 can (if the PM file isn't too old).

• 5. Re: older version
                  cihon Level 1

Thanks Steve. I understand this. I WANT to get InDesign, but it won't let me download a version that will work on this computer. That is really my question. Where or how can I buy/get/try a version that will. Before this I worked at a print shop for 23 years but we only ran Macs - so I am not very familiar with pc's and that is what this is. I am willing to pay for InDesign, not a problem. The pagemaker file is from a Mac. Yearbook full of pages from "past presidents," "rules," "bylaws," etc. For a group of elderly ladies so I have done this at no charge to them for years. Print Shop went out of business. They don't leave me much time when they do get the copy or I could just retype it all in Illustrator but that's like trying to do surgery with a butter knife in my opinion.

By the way, one of the "elderly ladies" is my mother, so I don't want to disappoint.

But again, thanks.

• 6. Re: older version

Go to https://creative.adobe.com/products/indesign

Below the large image you'll see a dropdown labelled In This Version. Change it to CS6 and download the trial.

This has to be one of the wors bits of user interface design I've seen.