11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 5:26 PM by Ásgeir Vísir

Non destructive, moveable filter?

Ásgeir Vísir Level 1

I'm thinking if there is a way to get photoshop somehow to apply a filter on a shapelayer, which will apply the filter on the layers beneath

It's similar to applying effects on a 0% filled layer, exept in stead of effects I need to use filter (Spherize filter to be exact)!

• 1. Re: Non destructive, moveable filter?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

To use a filter as a smart filter you need to prepare the layer it is to work on.  That is you need to use a smart object layer.  The smart  layers embedded object can contain a shape layer and more objects can have many layers. Photoshop renders pixels for the layers content using the embedded object data.  The smart filters work on the pixel rendered for the object. Smart Object layers are like a raster layer that you can reprocess working on the embedded object in a temp file created by Photoshop for you to work on. Once you commit changes Photoshop updates the smart object layers embedded object and renders new pixels for the layer,

• 2. Re: Non destructive, moveable filter?
            Ásgeir Vísir Level 1

Thanks for the quick feedback, but the smart filters do not apply to anything other then them selves!

Basically I want to be able to move the bottle... (And I want to be able to put a distortion under it for the ice... so the distortion will be on the layer underneath the bottle, when it is moved) (I haven't applied the spherize filter on this image)

Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 21.30.50.png

• 3. Re: Non destructive, moveable filter?

OK so do that add a layer for the distortion the shape you want and link that layer to the bottle layer so it moves with the bottle. Set its blend mode that will blend well with the ice.  you can apply the filter to it  You can then make it into one of your 0 fill layers if need be.

A 0 fill layer is also a raster layer that has pixels that have color and opacity. You can set the opacity and or fill to 0 when you do there are still pixels but because of the 0 in opacity or fill or both are 0  these pixels add nothing to the composite blend,  The layer and pixels exist and the layer has some shape to it. If you add a layer style to such a layer effects like strokes overlays gradients drop shadows etc they will show the shape of the 0 fill layer. Layer styles also have some advanced blending options as to how they should be applied. You may want to play with. Layer styles can do many interesting things. Many many options, Use the layer opacity to blend in the laye style into the ice layer

zfill.jpg

• 4. Re: Non destructive, moveable filter?
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

You seem to be going about it in an odd way.  I would Ctrl click the bottle layer to load it s a selection > apply a layer mask to the Ice layer, and unlink the layer mask.  Then you could use filters on the Ice layer while keeping the bottle clipped to the ice.

[EDIT]  I cross posted with JJ there, so jjust to clarify, I was responding to the OP

• 5. Re: Non destructive, moveable filter?

Yes You can do things many many way with Photoshop  you just need a warped mind. This drop shadow is not a layer style its a layer don't click on it. But the colors are a layer style.

[ JJMack ]

• 6. Re: Non destructive, moveable filter?
                    Ásgeir Vísir Level 1

I'm not sure you are getting me right

I'm not trying to use layer styles in any way!

Thing is, I'm trying to create the effect of a distortion a bottle would make on things beneath it. I do understand that if I was trying to distort the layer in any other way then spherize, both of your ideas would probably work

But the spherize filter needs to be applied on the exact same spot as the bottle so the warp looks legit!

I'm almost sure this is not possible in photoshop. I wanted to do the same thing when imitating the rice paper effect from iOS7, where everything becomes white and extremely blurry!

• 7. Re: Non destructive, moveable filter?
                      Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The best you're going to be able to so is finalize a place for the bottle then use the filters on the underlying layers.  I don't think you can move the location of a filter.  In fact, spherize will center itsself in the frame, so you might have issue just trying to apply it to where the bottle is located.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Non destructive, moveable filter?
                        Ásgeir Vísir Level 1

Thank you Csuebele!

Hopefully Adobe will be fixing this in the upcoming builds!

• 9. Re: Non destructive, moveable filter?
                          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I doubt it.  I think to get around this, you will need to position your bottle.  Once you do that, you want to take the layers that you are goning to distort and change the canvas size so that the bottle area is centered.  Then apply the spherize filter (use a smart object).  Then reposition the distorted layers back under the bottle.  You will need to mask out the areas not under the bottle.  You might have more luck using liquify and bloat the areas you want to distort in the bottle shape, or use puppet warp.

• 10. Re: Non destructive, moveable filter?
                            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

There's nothing to fix.  And position is not curcial if you unlink the layer mask because you can re centre the ice layer after using the filter.   To make sure we are all on the same page, I'm assuming folk are thinking of Spherize > Horizontal Only ? 

BTW  How were all these ice cubes supposed to end up in the bottle?  Things like that worry the viewer on a subconcious level because the mind knows it is unlikely to happen in reality.

• 11. Re: Non destructive, moveable filter?
                              Ásgeir Vísir Level 1

Hey Trevor.Dennis!

Actually when you look through a bottle full of water it magnifies the thing beneath just like a magnifying glass would! The ice is obviously not supposed to look like it's inside the bottle

Now if there was something like a magazine under the bottle, I don't want just some random article being magnified from beneath, I want the one actually from beneath to be shown through the bottle with some distortion!

And there you can see my problem, I want to be able to move my bottle and change background with out having to have to duplicate the underlying layer, cmd+clicking the bottle thumb, spherizing said layer. I want all of this to happen instantly!