14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 10:37 AM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Elements 9

Alan A&J Level 1

Why do I loose my Video files from an Elements 9 Project, when kept on a External Hard Drive. Is this an Adobe Elements no no, or can this be overcome.  It appears to work for most of the time but will then suddenly loose its link to the files..  Is this the case with all editing Programmes?

Alan

• 1. Re: Adobe Elements 9
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan A&J

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on? Are you running the program from the 9.0.1 Update?

When you say that you loose files, are you saying that, when you re-open a previously saved/closed project, you are greets by the "Where is the file....?" message(s)? If no, what then?

Has the drive letter of the external hard drive changed on you at the time of these episodes?

Is this external hard drive formatted NTFS or FAT32? Are you frequently plugging and unplugging it?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Elements 9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When you say "loose your video files," do you mean that they are disappearing from the external HDD, or that when you Open a Project, PrE asks "Where is file ____ ?"

If the former, then there is probably an issue with your external HDD. For the latter, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705

For some tips on using external HDD, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5567553#5567553

Good luck, and please let us know just a bit more.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Adobe Elements 9
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Just some add on questions....

What is the capacity of the external hard drive that is involved? At the time of these happenings, have much free spaces is left at that location?

What are the properties of the source media that you have stored on that external hard drive?

Specifically when does a link appear to be broken...

a. while you are working in the program?

b. when you are trying to import from external hard drive to Add Media/Files and Folders

c. other

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Adobe Elements 9
                Alan A&J Level 1

Thanks for your response.

In order of Questions

1. Windows 7. 64 Bit on a  Hp Elite PC

not sure of the 9.0. 1. update yet will check it out.

2. yes to this question, when re opening for mabe the 3rd time i will get the message you describe and I have to reload all the files.

3   same letter. Drives are not changed niether have i added anything to them or changed them in any way.

4 I do unplug but not while computer is on.  I believe its FAT32 but will need to check this out

My files are kept on Lacie Rikiki USB 3  500GB

Hope this helps

Alan

• 5. Re: Adobe Elements 9
                  Alan A&J Level 1

Should Add:   MP4 Files

During making project is fine. No problems importing Files only re opening project.

For example I closed computer down last Friday. Came back tuesday reopened fine, continued adding titles to end . saved again closed down. The next day reopened as before and files not found message came back .....ugggh

• 6. Re: Adobe Elements 9
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

First let us check out the external hard drive formatting. If you are on Windows, it should be NTFS, not FAT32. The switch is easy to do if that is the case.

Depending on how things go, create a new project, but, for this one, copy some of the external hard drive's .mp4 files to a desktop folder. Then import the folder into Premiere Elements with its Get Media/Files and Folders. Do some minor editing. Save/close the project. Re-open it a few times over the course of 48 hours and observe the "missing media" syndrome.

You might want to set up a control with copies of the same files in a folder on the external hard drive and a new project for that. Then you can run a side by side comparison at 12, 24, and 48 hours for this "missing media" happening.

Is it only one type of file that goes missing each time? Or is it just the .mp4 ones?  Or, does the problem hit the files randomly?

We will be watching for your progress when you get the time.

Thanks.

ATR.

• 7. Re: Adobe Elements 9
                      Alan A&J Level 1

Thanks Bill see my reply to AT Romano.

I have read your article on ext HDD and using them. Have no problem with finding them but would like to know if I can prevent this occuring to often, as its a pain in the arce (Butt) when it happens while your half  through a two hour long project.

• 8. Re: Adobe Elements 9
                        Alan A&J Level 1

Thanks AT

I will try that from tomorrow and let you know over the course of the week.

Its any files and not just .mp4 and I am on NTFS.

I will try for the 9.0.  1 update but must get to bed now as its pass midnight heremin Uk

Thanks again

Alan

• 9. Re: Adobe Elements 9
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The way that you prevent the lost media files from happening, is to assign a permanent drive letter to the external, in the OS. Then, the absolute Path will be retained.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Adobe Elements 9
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

But, so far in this post, Alan has not yet caught that external drive changing drive letter.

I am looking forward to his results with the mini tests that I suggested in post 6 to help guide us on the path of discovery on this one.

ATR

• 11. Re: Adobe Elements 9
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Until the questions that I asked, in Reply #2 have been fully answered, I am not sure that we will know exactly what is the problem.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Adobe Elements 9
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

I think that we are after the same thing. We seem to have hit cyberspace symultaneously for posts 1 and 2 at 2:01 PM.

Signing off. Good morning.

ATR

• 13. Re: Adobe Elements 9
                                  Alan A&J Level 1

It seems that I was not checking that the right drive letter was being attributed to my hard drive each time I opend my Project. In addition to this I was keeping my video files in folders among folders for each file, as it was prduced from my JVC camera SD Card. Thus giving far to much information for the Elements project to handle.

Your right, If i plug in another hard drive to my computer, it assigns the same letter as the one i am using for the project and then when I re plug my proper hard drive it was given another letter, hence it could not find the original files.

It seems logical now and has been working fine for the last month.

Thanks all for your advice.xxx

Alan

• 14. Re: Adobe Elements 9
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Alan

Thanks for the update.

Glad to learn that all is working OK and the drive situation has been taken care of. Good job.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or need clarification on anything written here.

Thanks again.

ATR