• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to install Flash player debug active X on Windows 8.1

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like Windows 8.1 support is still a mess.

First - On page http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html, at the bottom, there is a link

"To uninstall Flash Player debugger on Windows 8, please go here" to http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows-8.html which results into Page Not Found!.

Here is what I did so far:

• Restart computer
  • Using the current uninstaller from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html (yes, I know this is for pre Windows 8 but remember the Page not found), after shutting down all IE, it runs to completion without errors.
  • Restart computer
  • Run flashplayer_11_ax_debug.exe as administrator
  • I get a warning saying that IE will update on its own (I guess in release mode only) and a Quit button.

At this point, when I go to the test page http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html with IE I get a grey box. No animation or error message.

So far it does not work.

Anyone aware of this?

Anyone working on a fix?

Time estimate?

It has been a month now since a minor update to the Window 8 platform. Is this what we should expect now?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2013 Nov 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Microsoft altered the code for Flash Player in order to embed it in IE, it's 100% their "baby" now. They own it, they update it and they fix it. AFAIK, the downloaded versions from Adobe are not 100% compatible because they lack the Microsoft altered code from the embedding.
I've tried several different ways to update manually, or install the beta for IE and NONE have worked with Win 8. I haven't tried anything with 8.1 because I will not reinstall that garbage on either of my Win 8 machines ever again. Microsoft really "screwed the pooch" with that so-called "update", and I'm NOT going to reformat two machines again to get usability back with $4500 in third party software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the reply. Was this confirmed by either Adobe or Microsoft? I emailed a Microsoft contact of mine to see if he can dig some information on the subject.

Prior to 8.1, I was running 8 for many months without issue. I was able to use Flash Builder and run my applications in IE with the Flash Player Debugger. I think I had to use a different version from the one recommended on the Adobe download page, but it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patrick,

I too, ran 8 without any issues, for a couple months before my daughter was conned into putting the 8.1 "preview" on my new laptop, which renderred everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, I had installed, "incompatible"...  which included:
    Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection (18 apps)
    Office 2013 Professional Plus (12 apps)
    Corel WinDVD
    Roxio Creator Suite 2011(9 apps)
    AVG Internet Security

Mozilla Firefox 23
    Opera 14
    Safari 5

Thunderbird 15

I was literally shut out of the software I use and NEED to design websites. Not to mention that NOTHING but IE and Windows would run and IE only worked on plain HTML pages. Anything with jquery, javascript or Flash content would freeze up and I'd have to kill the precess in the Task Manager. It's a good thing I have other systems or I never would have found the Toshiba instructions to reload 8, since the laptop didn't come with an OS or recovery DVD.

I have two Win 8 machines - my laptop and a desktop. I use ther laptop for work so I can "abuse" the hellout of the desktop, because that's what I have it for. I write and rewrite registry "tweaks", install software, update it, and try to "break it", then uninstall and reisntall it. I even download known viruses to see what they do and how fast, before reinstalling the OS again.

Among all that, I've tried numerous ways to alter or otherwise amend the Flash Player for IE 10, and I haven't been successful at modifyig, updating or replacing it in IE (even with the beta), because I always run into Windows errors or warnings that it "can only be done throug Windows Update".

I haven't seen anything in print from Adobe or Microsoft to confirm that Flash Player can only be updated through Windows, but I've seen plenty of anecdotal evidence that supports it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick,

The debugger file you are trying to use (flashplayer_11_ax_debug.exe) is not the correct file to use for Windows 8/8.1.  It is for Windows 7 and prior.  You will need to download the Windows 8/8.1 debugger installer based on your machine's architecture (x86, x64, or ARM) from the Flash Player Support Center page.

windows8_debugger.jpg

Please make note of the KB number in the file name that is downloaded as you will need the KB number to uninstall the debugger in the future.  On Windows 8/8.1, the ActiveX debugger is installed as an update.  To uninstall it, go to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates.  Look for the entry with the KB number the same as in the debugger installer file you used to install the debugger and uninstall the update.

We are in the process of updating the instructions and the link on the Flash Playe Support Center page.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

(all of this in the desktop mode)
I installed Flash player for Windows 8.1 x64 debugger. Flash now works in IE when I go

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html. Scrolling down I see

player.PNG

All good so far. I tested with Flash builder and it seems to work now. I think the key was the manual uninstall of the Flayer instead of relying on the uninstaller.

Thank you Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all the searching I've done, Maria's link is the FIRST TIME I've seen the debugger links for Win 8. Thanks for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw the page before and even tried the "right 8.1 file" (after the unmarked win 7 one) but my system must have been so messed up from trying so many other things that even using the right one did not work until I could uninstall the current version first.

Hey Mike, let me know if this worked for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I get.

8.1debug.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to find and uninstall the previous flash update with the control panel, followed by a reboot before trying to install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KB2777262 is NOT listed as an installed update on my machine.
I just set up an 8.1 test machine and ran it through three hours of Windows Updates too.

I tried running the MSU and I got a "not applicablt to this verison" error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, there might be hope on Monday or sometimes this week.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5829342#5829342

Now, I did so many things on mine I am not sure what did it. I did remove/rename the flash player folder but if they fix the link and the uninstaller, then you may have an easier experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Patrick - The exact steps to get to the 'Installed Updates' view may differ based on the selected view, but essentially, you'll want to get to the 'Installed Updates' view.

@Mike - Did you happen to update the version of IE on the win 8.1 machine?  There us a download available on this tech note, http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html, which contains a different KB number than the debugger KB number.  Also, can you go to http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html and provide a screenshot of the Flash Player version you currently have installed?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

My 8.1 was installed from a FULL installer and it included IE11. I have run Windows Update until it said there were now more updates available. KB2886439 rendered a "not applicable" message as well.

Here's what I get from the version check:

vers.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2013 Nov 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

KB2886439 is for Windows 8, not Windows 8.1  You'll need to get the update that coincides with your OS version, and architecture (32- or 64-bit).  You can run Windows Update, or download it from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html.  The links are at the bottom of the page.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2013 Nov 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Microsoft released a Flash Player update with their "Tuesday patch" today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria,

The path to get to the installed updates in Windows 8.1 (and others maybe) is really.

Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > View installed updates.

Programs.PNG

The weird thing is that once you get there the path you wrote is correct, but I was looking for long time for "Programs and features" in the above screen.

Installed.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines