16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 9:26 PM by cscooper2013

Razor tool - temporary shortcut

hoverbover

With the C key I can use the razor, do some cutting and then switch back to the arrow tool.

If I could hold the c key , do some cuts, and when releasing the key it would return to the arrow, it would be more efficient!

If it's not possible, then I suggest it for the next Premiere version.

This kind of shortcut is available in Cubase for example. As default it could be that when you tap the shortcut button, it switches to that tool and stays that way, but if you hold the key it will switch back when you release it.

Another suggestion could be to have the mouse wheel button as a shortcut for a tool of ones choice. So each click switches back and forth between that tool and the previous tool.

• 1. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
          shooternz Level 6

How hard is it just to Press C then V ?

They are even next to each other !

cvcvcvcvcvcvcvcvcvcvcvcvvcvccvcvvcvcvcvcvcvcvcvvcvcvcvcvcvcvvcvvcvvvcvcvcv................ ...............

• 2. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
            DarthKcaj Level 1

Good idea! Make a feature request submission here, I already have: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 3. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
              shooternz Level 6

Any one editing video with a razor tool wont have an efficient workflow to begin with.

Helping them save 1/100ths of a second (C to V) wont contribute much to efficiency.

• 4. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                DarthKcaj Level 1

There is similar functionality in FCP which allows to temporarily turn off snapping, it is very helpful there- if not the just the razor tool, what about the whole toolset? Surely that would be useful?

• 5. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                  shooternz Level 6

All tools in Premiere have short cut keys ..including "snapping"

Another suggestion could be to have the mouse wheel button as a shortcut for a tool of ones choice. So each click switches back and forth between that tool and the previous tool.

Scroll wheel aready has functionality.

• 6. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                    hoverbover Level 1

Right now I'm doing a wedding videography, so it's a matter of switching between cameras and mostly keep it going in real time.

I haven't fully gotten into the multicam feature , and I'm not sure I can make it work, because I can't know in advance which camera is going to do something bad (like going out of focus or moving in a bad way).

SO, I'm cutting video on the timeline with the razor. If you now how to edit video on the timeline without  the razor maybe you can give a hint about that.

The shortcut would save much more time than 0.01 seconds. It's as you said in your first post.. going back and forth between c and v, constantly.

• 7. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                      shooternz Level 6

Cutting in a timelime with a razor always involves deleting (clearing) the section between cuts. So in efficient and in precise.

Using a Source Monitor with IN and Out Points is "cleaner"

The shortcut would save much more time than 0.01 seconds. It's as you said in your first post.. going back and forth between c and v, constantly

Multicam editing is an advanced edit technique. Always surprises me how many noobies engage in it.

Switching between C and V key takes about .01 seconds. eg......cvcvcvcvcvcvcvc...

Toggling C with a latch to to V (or vice versa)  saves nothing (especially considering "remove the gap")  on that  ..and that idea would wreck professional short cutkey workflows

• 8. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                        strypesinpost Level 2

You can also use add edits to blade at playhead.

Premiere has a bunch of other very useful tools such as ripple in and out points to playhead. This shortcut will take care of the entire series of operations you would normally use to trim the head and tail of a clip - razor, select, delete, all tracks select, drag to close the gap.

• 9. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                          [r]Evolution Level 1

hoverbover wrote:

Right now I'm doing a wedding videography...

I haven't fully gotten into the multicam feature...

SO, I'm cutting video on the timeline with the razor. If you now how to edit video on the timeline without  the razor maybe you can give a hint about that.

- Have you been involved in Wedding Videography for long?

- If you're editing (multi-hour) multi-cam shoots, multi-cam editing will be beneficial to know.

Having done numerous Wedding Videos (I've lost count of how many), and many things in your post are alarming... I would be very concerned if I were on the receiving end of your disc.

• 10. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                            hoverbover Level 1

It's my second wedding project, so I'm still looking into ways of doing things more effectively.

But I think you're over-interpreting my post... the only thing you know is that I'm using the razor, and I don't use multicam editing . How can you know anything about the result of my work from that?

I'm still interesting in knowing if there is a better way to cut a video clip into smaller clips without using razor (trimming only affects the start and end).

• 11. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                              hoverbover Level 1

Thanks,  I'll look into it, sounds interesting!

all tracks select, drag to close the gap.

Ripple delete is a nice way to close gaps though.

• 12. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                                shooternz Level 6

I'm still interesting in knowing if there is a better way to cut a video clip into smaller clips without using razor (trimming only affects the start and end).

Many different ways to edit but a basic and I might suggest...a professional way is to work with the Source clip in the Source Monitor.

Work thru the clip,  setting In and Out Points ( I & O) then Inserting or Overlaying (, & .) to the Sequence (Timeline).

Trimming is then done in the Sequence once you have your clips in place.

• 13. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi hoverbover,

Have you ever checked out the extract function? It's the most compact way to lift out a section, and then close the gap automatically.

Mark In where you want to start your razor cut, Mark Out where you want to end your razor cut, then click the Extract button (or press the ' key).

Thanks,

Kevin

• 14. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                                    hoverbover Level 1

That's pretty basic, yes.

But I don't see a way to use the source monitor with the movie progressing mostly in real time, and there are 3-4 cameras filming.

I ran into some information about "add edit", but it was a funktion featured in FCP. There is an "add edit" in premiere too, but I don't know if it works the same way. But it seemed promising, and could fit the sort of editing you are doing in this sort of project .

• 15. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                                      hoverbover Level 1

Thanks, I will probably find that useful!

I have been wanting a function to delete a clip + ripple edit in one and the same operation. This seems like a good alternative.

• 16. Re: Razor tool - temporary shortcut
                                        cscooper2013 Level 2

Don't let the old-timers here intimidate you.  It's amazing how stuck in our ways we can get when we've done something the same way for many years.  Myself included, of course.  The Razor tool certainly has it's place, otherwise it would have been removed from Premiere.  Yet, it exists in every "professional" NLE.  So while there are other workflows, if you're used to using the Razor (c) and the Selection Tool (v), then you just might be faster at that workflow than others may be in their own workflow.  On the other hand, learning some "best practices", or a new workflow in an organized way (i.e. Adobe TV, or better yet, Lynda.com) just might open your eyes to amazing new discoveries about an extremely deep program that, on the surface, seems rather simple.

There's a special name for the type of keyboard shortcut you're describing (sticky keys?  rubber band keys?  SAMSONITE!!!  I was WAY off!!).  Regardless what it's called, Photoshop (or was it C4D?) has recently introduced lots of them!  Keys that, while you hold them down, modify an action or tool, and when you let go, you are back to the tool you were using before.  And I agree it would be a very welcome feature for Premiere to inherit from other programs (both Adobe and non-Adobe programs).  

OT RANT:  It often seems that the product teams at Adobe aren't even allowed to sit at the same lunch table, much less talk to eachother about important new developments in their respective products!  Take for example the way titles are created across just Photoshop and Premiere (it's a major annoyance).  In Photoshop you complete a title by pressing Ctrl+Enter.  In Premiere it's the Escape key.  ESCAPE!!!!???? to complete a task?  In what universe does Escape not CANCEL the task at hand?  Well, if you only work in Premiere, then you're used to that.  I guess that's fine.  What really bothers me is that there's no way to standardize these common tasks as a user preference (i.e. Premiere >> Edit >> Keyboard Shortcuts >> Use Photoshop Keys for similar tasks).  I can't tell you how many times I've happened to be using Photoshop allot in a given week, and then I switch duties and jump back into Premiere or After Effects to make an edit, such as a small paragraph of text for a title or caption only to hit Escape and LOSE IT ALL!!  And why is "Import" Ctrl+i in Prelude, but Ctrl+Shift+i in Lightroom?  Or worse in Photoshop "c" has long stood for (c)rop, but in Lightroom it's "r"???  I guess that stands for c(r)op.  I digress and I'm way off topic.  My point is the various applications within CC really need to be made standardized, at least across similar functionalities.  At any rate, holding down any of the tool keys (c, v, b, n, y, u) to use that tool temporarily would be AWESOME!!!  Just like it temporary tool toggles (for lack of remembering what Photoshop calls this) works in Photoshop and parts of Illustrator!

I've advocated before that Premiere should really blow the doors wide open on keyboard customization (I hate the mouse).  If a command can be performed with the mouse, I should be able to assign it a keyboard shortcut.  If I can perform ANY action with the mouse, I should be able to record a macro or "action" (like in Photoshop) and then assign that action to the keyboard. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the updated key commands that came in CC7, and moreso in 7.0.1, but why does Adobe dictate what can and cannot be assigned?  Why must we wait for Adobe, or shooternz to discuss the merits of a key command before we are allowed to set it up the way we are comfortable?

Does anyone remember editing on the Video Flyer (NewTek)?  That thing was amazing for automation.  With a scripting language you or I or any third-party developer could, and did, introduce all manner of interesting and useful functionality that NewTek had not thought of.  Why not do that today with our FAR more powerful NLEs?

Imagine being able to setup a Premiere Pro action that said:

1) select a music track

2) select a range of images

3) distribute images evenly across the duration of the music

4) add a disolve between each image

Or more to the point, imagine creating a custom hotkey where you could choose your weapon of choice, such as the selection tool (black arrow) and only occassionally and briefly slip into Razor tool by holding down "c" to make your cut and let go.  The tool goes right back to the selection tool.  Just like you were asking originally!