3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2013 12:15 PM by AmyH661

Sony HVR-Z1U can't capture - is it because of windows 8?

AmyH661

I have a brand new Windows 8 machine, i3 core, trying to capture video from my Sony HVr-Z1u.

I installed a new PCI Express firewire 1394a card from startech.

Using the Premiere Pro CC trial.

iLink downconvert is off. Project is set up for HDV. Tape recorded in HDV, Capture settings set to HDV.

I must be doing most things right because it is connecting, when I go to capture it says "Stopped."

When I click on record the video starts playing on the camcorder, however the screen on my computer stays blank. A timer on the bottom left counts up. The capture screen states "Capturing "Untitled Clip 01.mpeg", Press Esc to stop recording. Capture duration: 00:00:00 (dropped 0 frames)

It stays at 00:00:00 capture duration, even as the video plays on the camcorder. While this is happening, if I go to the settings tab and click on "options" under device control I get a brief half second or less of audio on the computer speakers and some blocky video on the capture screen, then it immediately goes gray and the device control settings window appears. Under this window the settings are NTSC Sony, Standard. Doesn't matter if I change it to Alternate 1 or Alternate 2, does the same thing.

I have read the "cannot capture under windows 7" from http://forums.adobe.com/thread/521842?tstart=0

Apparently they have removed the legacy driver option under windows 8. See this post: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5346067

I am not in a position at the moment to try this, and I am wondering if anyone else is having a similar experience, or has any other suggestions.

• 1. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U can't capture - is it because of windows 8?
          AmyH661 Level 1

After playing with different drivers and settings with no luck, apparently the ONLY problem was that instead of just pressing the record button, I have to press play, then press record. Even though when I press record it does play, I still need to press Play first. The record button just works as a Play/Pause button if I haven't actually pressed play first. What a waste of time trying to figure that one out. Is this a software bug?

• 2. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U can't capture - is it because of windows 8?
            Shadreck Rukweza Level 2

. Is this a software bug?

No it's user error. Once your camcorder is hooked up to the PC make sure the in the settings in dialogue box are set to DV or HDV depepnding with the footage on the tape. Once that is set, you can check the scene detection box and click tape or record. The HDV/DV device control will take care of everything till the end of the tape.

Best of luck.

• 3. Re: Sony HVR-Z1U can't capture - is it because of windows 8?
              AmyH661 Level 1

srukweza wrote:

. Is this a software bug?

No it's user error. Once your camcorder is hooked up to the PC make sure the in the settings in dialogue box are set to DV or HDV depepnding with the footage on the tape.

That is the very first thing I did, I even mentioned that I did it in my original post. I've been doing this for years in Adobe Premiere on other systems and in Final Cut as well. I never had to press play before record before. And no where in the instructions does it say you have to. Sounds like a software bug or some sort of other glitch to me.