6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 7:28 AM by BillyDBrown

1080p encoding question

BillyDBrown

Hi,

I shot 1920 x 1080p avchd at 24fps. Using PE 11, I'd like to publish to computer at the same resolution using as close to a lossless format as possible.

Unfortunately, I am constrained to the following list of file format possibilities: AVI, MP4, MPG, MPEG-1, WMV, MOV.

I'm not sure I can get there from here. Anyone have any ideas? If not, will PE12 do it?

thanks much for reading!

• 1. Re: 1080p encoding question
          A.T. Romano Level 7

BillyDBrown

Premiere Elements 11 Project Preset = NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p24

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p24

What is the issue with the above? Have you been there and done that?

I see no advantage in going to version 12 because of your goal. Versions 11 and 12 are alike in this regard.

Please review and then let us know if I have misinterpreted what you seek.

Thank you.

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: 1080p encoding question
            BillyDBrown Level 1

Hi A.T.,

Thanks for your quick response! I tried the preset per your suggestion. So far, so good.

I saw this preset earlier when I was looking through the options but dismissed it because I was under the impression that .mp4 involved high levels of compression. Since then, I did a little research and my understanding has changed. I now believe that mp4 is a container and whether or not compression is applied depends upon one's choice of codec. Furthermore, I don't know whether the h264 codec used by PE in this preset is lossless but my new and very shallow understanding is that it maintains high quality through encoding. I'd welcome any refinements you'd care to contribute to my edification.

BillyB

• 3. Re: 1080p encoding question
              the_wine_snob Level 9

BillyB,

The H.264 CODEC is lossy, but is very, very good at compressing with less visual quality loss, than many previous CODEC's, say MPEG-2, as just one example.

There is a new CODEC, H.265, on the horizon, but until it becomes common, and possibly a "standard," will not have much impact initially. However, when support for it is built into many programs, and devices, will likely replace H.264 - the time is just not now, yet.

I think that ATR's suggestions are very good, and the result will be excellent.

Good luck, and please let us know of your progress.

Hunt

• 4. Re: 1080p encoding question
                whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

Premiere Elements 11 Project Preset = NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p24

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p24

I think your output setting is perfect.  I'm not sure of the Project Preset.  With version 11 I've had good results by starting the project with a primary clip and having it set up the project automatically. 

Bill S

• 5. Re: 1080p encoding question
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BillDBrown

Thanks for the update. Glad that the suggestions are working for you to get good results.

At this time, the only suggestion that I might make is for you to explore and experiment with the Export Settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab & Audio Tab of the preset. Perhaps Bitrate adjusts, keeping a compromise between file size and quality. The end result may be leaving the default settings as is, but it will be a learning experience looking into possibilities in that area.

Progress sounds good.

With regard to setting the project preset...for Premiere Elements 11 and 12, the project takes over setting the project preset based on the properties of the first drag to the Timeline. Sometimes the program's choice is OK, sometimes not. And, when not, it defaults to the new Premiere  Elements default of 1080i (earlier versions it was DV Standard). You cannot always depend on the project's choice. You can check what it has set via the Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. The goal is to have the project preset match the properties of the source media. If you know that the program is reading your properties OK, fine. If not, set the project preset yourself manually via File Menu/New/Project, making sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Settings on This Project". Then, when you are back in the Premiere Elements workspace, import your source media into the project via Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the video to the Timeline.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Looking forward to further developments when you get the time.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: 1080p encoding question
                    BillyDBrown Level 1

Thanks Guys!

I appreciate all of your input. I pretty much get it all and all is helpful.

BillyDBrown