22 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2014 5:59 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates

Coyotebobby

I am copying Jonty's message. I am having exactly the same problem. I feel it has something to do with the latest OS X (Mavericks). Please get a fix out asap as I am sure there are a lot of us hurting right now. I have one other product (not Adobe) and it is crashing and the vendor said it is Mavericks so I am hoping you wil be able to correct this real soon.

Thanks

"I have a really annoying problem when trying to use Premiere Elements 10 on my Mac

I can import and edit video ok but as soon as I try to build a disk using one of the pre-installed templates Premiere Elements 10 crashes with the following message 'Sorry a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project'. It doesn't seem to matter which template I choose the error always happens.

When I re-open the project all the video is missing and I have to start the project over again which is really frustrating.

Anyone have any idea as to why this is happening? I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Premiere Elements 10 but that hasn't helped.

I have included a screen shot and also info from a crash report (which includes the specs for my MacMini) below.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Jonty"

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

What are your project settings, as listed under your Edit menu?

Which processor do you have and how much RAM do you have?

Do you have a Mac Retina display?

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
            Coyotebobby Level 1

Hello, thanks for your quick reply.

As for what camcorder I used. Basically over time I used four different camcorders I converted two older non-digital recordings to digital by using “pass through”  method which is having the digital camcorder accepting analog data converting to digital output. I believe no matter what recording I used all results in the same failure. I have no problems importing any of the recordings I have. I also have no problems editing them but whenever I go into disc menu and pull any of the menu template to the main window the program crashes immediately. For this response I am importing one clip (less than two minute duration) from Panasonic Lumix  DMC-ZS7 (AVCHD Lite). The format is MPEG-2 Transport Stream.

Image Size 1280 x 720

Frame Rate 29.97

Project Setting

editing mode: AVCHD 720P square pixels

Timebase: 29.97 frames/second

Display Format: 30 fps Drop-Frame Timecode

iMac model

The latest -  late 2013

27 inch  3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce DTX 775M 2048 MB

Software OS X 10.9 (13A603)

Retina Display: No

The resulting DVD AVCHD without going through Disc Menus runs fine on my BLU player. That is going straight from importing under Project tab to Share tab selecting burn AVCHD disc.

Hope this helps.

Bob

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates

I don't know why you are having this problem. It sounds like you've got a good workflow.

I would recommend you contact Adobe Tech Support. I'm not sure we can help you on this user to user forum.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                Coyotebobby Level 1

I guess I will wait a little while because I am sure I am not the only one with that problem. I have no idea how to send my problem to Tech Support as I am using version 10 and the current version is 12.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Coyotebobby

I typically write "Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes". I am a bit reluctant to drag that message out here, but...

There has been a wave of Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card issues hitting. I have a thread here in which I have been trying to keep track of the happenings. As I write all the time, I am strictly an Elements Windows user.

But, when I see Premiere Elements 10 - NVIDIA video card - problems, I think NVIDIA video card driver. In the cases that are on my list, I do not recall a Mac user among them, but could you give this a look from the Mac perspective and see if any of this applies to you. For those others, the fix (for now) was to roll back the video card driver version rather than assure that the lastest version of the video card driver was installed.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5817833#5817833

Looking forward to your review of the situation and outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates

Also, you might want to go to OSX's Disk Utility and run a disk check. This will help you discover little things that might be bugging up your system.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                      jonty1512

Hi Coyotebobby

Just to let you know Adobe are aware of this issue with Premiere Elements 10 & OS X 10.9 Mavericks. I have an open support case with Adobe Tech Support (dated 5th Nov) and it has been escalated to a higher level of support. When I get any answers I will pass any helpful information along to you.

Just out of interest what Mac hardware are you running Premiere Elements on? I'm on a 2011 Mac Mini 8Gb Ram with 512mb Intel HD 3000 graphics. Just wondering if this is a problem with any new graphics drivers that may have come with Mavericks for specific hardware.

Also noteworthy is that when I was chatting to the tech support operative they did say that Premiere Elements 10 was not tested for compatability with OS X 10.9 Mavericks as they considered it an old application. Only versions 11 & 12 were tested. I did argue the point that Premiere Elements 10 is only just over 2 years old and is hardly 'old' and that I only bought Premiere Elements 16 months ago and at that time it was the latest and most current version. As I don't use Premiere Elements that often I would only consider upgrading it when I replace the Mac which is every 3-4 years.

I will keep you up to date with any developments.

Jonty

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

jonty1512

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

One consideration is that OS 10.9 Mavericks is but a few days old now, and PrE 10 did come out a bit over 2 years ago. OS 10.9 is much newer, than PrE 10 could have been tested on. Adobe does not usually go back one version, let alone two, to make changes to accommodate newer OS's. I am not surprised that there are issues with PrE 10 and OS 10.9.

Mavericks is causing several issues with PrPro CC right now, but as CC is in active development and Bug fixes, I feel that Adobe will be able to work with Apple to sort things out. However, and with that said, Adobe has been trying to work with Apple to get some things fixed with Photoshop (both CS6 and CC) regarding the Retina Display, and Apple has not been all that helpful - so far.

In the case of Mavericks, it might be time to consider an upgrade to PrE 12, provided that, if there are issues with it, since it is current, Adobe can issue a patch to work completely with OS 10.9.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Consider that Premiere Elements 12 has problems of its own on Mac and Windows. So, it would appear that trying to escape from Premiere Elements 10 Maverick by going to 12 might just be a trade off of issues in spite of just the Apple patch projected?

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

There can always be pitfalls, tradeoffs, and issues.

As I mentioned, PrPro CC (the latest versions) seem to have some issues with OS 10.9 Mavericks, but at least the chance of a fix is much greater, with current software, than with a program that is two years old.

Can you cite any version of PrE, where a "fix," or "patch" was issued, two versions back? I cannot.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                                Coyotebobby Level 1

Hello Jonty,

I replaced my early 2009 24 inch iMac with a brand new iMac 27 only about two weeks ago. It is late 2013 and has 16 GB memory, 3 TB Fusion, 3.5 GHz i7, NVIDA GTX 775M 2MB and USB Superdrive. When it came in it did not have Mavericks on it. Had to upgrade after moving all of my files to it. Don’t buy the portable USB Superdrive; it does not seem to run well. Premium Elements 10 ran into a lot of problems and when I changed it to my other drive, LACii BLU drive. Premium ran much better except for the disc menu problem.

If they did test versions 11 and 12, Something must be wrong with version 10. I would hate to be forced to upgrade. I looked around

I hope you did not mind my cutting and paste your statement of problem because it was exactly what I was running into.

One of my other software is also failing.It is VoltaicHD. The vendor (Australia) replied to my email and said they know the problem and it is Mavericks. They promised they will come up with a fix within a few days. I wish Adobe would be like that.

Ok. Have a nice evening.

Bob

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                                  Coyotebobby Level 1

Thats one option but looking at what others say about PE 11 and 12. There were not a lot of positive things said about them. If it was a major upgrade I might consider it. I think it is just upgrades I don’t need.

Thanks

coyotebob

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                                    jonty1512 Level 1

Hi Coyotebobby

I have for the short term devised an imperfect workaround to this problem which is to edit my material in Premiere Elements 10 then export it out as an MP4 file and then import the edited file into iMovie9 to insert the chapter markers. For some reason this feature has been removed from iMovie10. Once this has been done I then share the project out to iDVD (which is free to download from CNet) for burning to DVD. Not an ideal solution. I will be trying this out today. I am fortunate that as I have Windows 8 running under BootCamp (which I normally only use for gaming) I can if no solution is offered by Adobe uninstall the Mac version and reinstall Premiere Elements 10 under Windows. I don't really want to do this but again it is an option. I don't see why I should have to pay again for software when there is only a few minor tweeks been made to what I already have already paid for.

I think it is a reasonable expectation for customers that when buying a product (whether it is physical or virtual as software is) that it would be supported from defects for a reasonable period of time which here in the EU is deemed to be 2 years. I've only had this software for 17 months so I will be arguing this case to try get a fix and now more people are having this issue I am hoping that Adobe will address the issue.

As for the external SuperDrive I did look into that but instead purchased a Samsung USB DVD burner which has been trouble free and cost only a third of what Apple want for the Superdrive.

Will keep you posted.

Jonty

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                                      Coyotebobby Level 1

Hi back,

I am still puzzled as to why Pr10 is failing but what I can do is to use FCE (Final Cut Express) which I bought along with my first iMac about 4 - 5 years ago. It does editing and mark locations for chapters fine. I can use Toast (which came with the BLU recorder) to burn and it will add menu/chapters at markers automatically. The only problem here is it will not do AVCHD DVD which I really like even tough only about 20 minutes of HD can be put on standard DVD media. I do have Parallels but I would hope that it does not come to moving Pr 10 there. Latest version of Toast do support AVCHD DVD. I will just wait a little longer and see if Adobe will fix the problem. I wonder if downloading trial version of Pr 12 would show whether it works under Mavericks or not. In spite of all of this I really liked Pr 10 because it can almost do any outputs like for iPhone, iPad and web.

Do keep me posted.

Thanks for your hints, etc.

Bob

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                                        jonty1512 Level 1

I thought I'd also have a look at Photoshop / Premiere Elements 12 so I downloaded the Adobe install manager and surprise surprise.... It doesn't work!!!

Really fills me with confidence.

Jonty

AdobeFail.jpg

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                                          Coyotebobby Level 1

I did not look at the www you included in your email. I just looked and see that it is installation problem. I believe there an installation fix patch somewhere in Adobe www.

I just looked again and its for Pr 10. Nothing for Pr 12.

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                                            Coyotebobby Level 1

Is there any more recent information/fix on PrE 10 crash when using Disc Menu feature (iMac/Mavericks)?

Thanks

bobby

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                                              hausbrothersrecords

I have the same issue with Premiere Elements 10 crashing when I try to add disc menu.

I have a brand new Imac, OS X 16gb memory, nvidia video card, and quadcore intel Core I7 proccessor

has there been any fix out yet for this issue?

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                                                Coyotebobby Level 1

Hello. I do not think there was ever a fix issued so PE 10 would run under Mavericks. Mine failed immediately after I upgraded to Mavericks. I had 1999 version of iMac but I have bought new iMac (late 2013, i7 like yours). I upgraded to PE 12 on my older iMac/Mavericks. I think PE 12 is really better than PE 10. Hope this helps.

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                                                  jonty1512 Level 1

Hi Hausbrotherrecords / Coyotebobby

Right firstly sorry I never updated this thread but some time ago I did get some info out of Adobe support;

Basically Adobe never fully tested PRE10 with Mavericks but support did admit they were fully aware of the issue prior to the release of OSX 10.9. The issue apparently is with the interaction between Mavericks, PRE10 & Quicktime which PRE10 needs. Basically as PRE10 was no longer the latest version of Premiere Elements Adobe (even though they knew of the issue) decided to do nothing and not warn their customers nor are they going to fix the issue.

I argued that;

a) At the time I was dealing with Adobe Support it had been only 14 months since I bought the software from new and at the time of purchase PRE10 was the current version.

b) I would have a reasonable expectation that Adobe would continue support for PRE10 for a minimum of 2 years from the date when PRE10 ceased being the current version. There is a law set by the E.U. (I'm in the UK) that states that when you purchase a product that the purchaser would expect to get at least 2 years use from a product unless it directly specifies that the intended life of the product is less than 2 years. I also cited the support periods of other software companies (Microsoft with XP 13 years & Office has a 4 year support cycle) and showed that Adobe had fallen short of a customers reasonable expectation by not fixing the issue.

c) I also cited that Adobe had known about the issue prior to the release of Mavericks and had failed to take reasonable steps to warn customers not to upgrade to Mavericks if you needed to retain full use of PRE10 thus forcing them to upgrade as their products would fail.

Adobe accepted these arguements and upgraded me (via download) to PRE12 for free which works perfectly. Personally I would have prefered that they fixed PRE10 as I prefer it but I'm happy with the outcome.

It has been 6 months since this happened but you can try making the same arguements to them and you may get lucky and get the same outcome.

Hope this is helpful.

Jonty

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes on disc templates
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jonty

Glad to learn that Premiere Elements 12 Mavericks is working for you.

Often these matter result in tradeoffs. But, that part about  "PRE 12....which works perfectly" is very good news.

Good job of follow through.

ATR