6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 6:13 AM by realmo6

Alternative lay-out per page

realmo6

Hi my name is Johannes Mortier,

I am busy with a Digital Edition for iPad. I'm layouting verticaly and I want an alternative lay-out horizontaly.

Is it possible to do this automaticly per page. So far i have only found how to do this when i first layout all pages verticaly. After I have done this i can only copy paste in to a newly created horizontal layout?

Thanks for some feedback.

• 1. Re: Alternative lay-out per page
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Select the vertical page or pages on page panel, mouse right click to select Create Alternative Layout and choose horizontal

1.jpg

• 2. Re: Alternative lay-out per page
            realmo6 Level 1

Creating an alternative lay-out is not the issue.

When you do that it makes an alternative lay-out of all pages linking the content to the vertical layouts.

I want to know if it is possible to do so again with an added vertical page after all horizontal layouts were automaticly generated and. Now I can only create a new horizontal page and copy the content from the vertical page, pasting it in the horizontal page, not linking the content. If i want to change some text I will have to keep in mind it does not do this automaticly within the added pages.

Or do i have to wait untill I'm absolutely sure i don't have to add an extra page before creating an alternative lay-out.

Thanks for the quick response though.

• 3. Re: Alternative lay-out per page
              Doc Maik Level 4

You expect too much. Indesign can not do this automatically upon changes.

Best would be of course to create the alternative layout only if the source layout won't change anymore.

Adding one page in both layouts manually isn't that much work, so you will cope.

• 4. Re: Alternative lay-out per page
                realmo6 Level 1

Well i thought I was missing out on something simple. It seems to be an logical path of developing evolution:

- "Maybe we can make it possible to make an alternative lay-out of a page automaticly! "

- "Hey, if we can do this with one page, maybe we can do it with all pages at once?! "

I will manage for sure, but its a recipe for disaster I tell you. A recipe for disaster!

• 5. Re: Alternative lay-out per page
                  Doc Maik Level 4

realmo6 wrote:

- "Maybe we can make it possible to make an alternative lay-out of a page automaticly! "

Since this is not automatic to make an alternative layout, changes to any layout won't be automatic, too.

• 6. Re: Alternative lay-out per page
                    realmo6 Level 1

No but text edited in the vertical lay-out adapts in the automaticly generated alternative lay-outs text-frame. This is not so with copy pasted text frames in added pages. Or is there a way to parent text frames?