4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2008 11:36 AM by patcar99

Shockwave Multiuser Server Apps

JohnathonS
      This is a problem that has been haunting me for over a year now and I just can't figure it out.. This applies to both Shockwave (.dcr) files compiled in version 8.5, MX9, and MX 2004 along with projectors compiled with MX 2004..

How am I supposed to exit the projector so that the multiuser xtra doesn't cause a crash? I have had trouble with it with both simple and complex multiuser applications which use the 'netMessageHandler' and 'SendtNetMessage' commands of the Multiuser instance.
      Previous to MX 2004, I had no problem exiting the projectors by doing a simply cleanup involving setting the multiuser instance (in this case, sConnect) to 0 and it exited like a charm. However, in MX 2004, or in a Shockwave movie from any version of Director 8.5+ I get something of a hang & crash (Firefox says the shockwave program did something illegal and needed to quit and then crashed, IE7 just crashes..) when the user tries to exit after having connected to the server.

In order to rectify the problem I attempted to clear out all references to a netMessageHandler by setting them to 0 (I use #DefaultMessageHandler in my movies) and I have tried doing things like setting the multiuser instance to VOID and 0 and reinitializing it as a new multiuser instance and nothing seems to make a difference..

Has anyone got any suggestions or comments? Or a sample movie that connects to a server, sends a message, and then exits when the user closes the window so that I can work from there with the coding.

Thanks so much for your help,
      Johnathon
        • 1. Re: Shockwave Multiuser Server Apps
          Level 7
          try clearing up your objects in an on stopMovie global handler:

on stopMovie
          -- set all mu handlers and objects to 0
          end

"JohnathonS" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fkpdgp$mev$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > This is a problem that has been haunting me for over a year now and I just
          > can't figure it out.. This applies to both Shockwave (.dcr) files compiled
          > in
          > version 8.5, MX9, and MX 2004 along with projectors compiled with MX
          > 2004..
          >
          > How am I supposed to exit the projector so that the multiuser xtra doesn't
          > cause a crash? I have had trouble with it with both simple and complex
          > multiuser applications which use the 'netMessageHandler' and
          > 'SendtNetMessage'
          > commands of the Multiuser instance.
          > Previous to MX 2004, I had no problem exiting the projectors by doing a
          > simply
          > cleanup involving setting the multiuser instance (in this case, sConnect)
          > to 0
          > and it exited like a charm. However, in MX 2004, or in a Shockwave movie
          > from
          > any version of Director 8.5+ I get something of a hang & crash (Firefox
          > says
          > the shockwave program did something illegal and needed to quit and then
          > crashed, IE7 just crashes..) when the user tries to exit after having
          > connected
          > to the server.
          >
          > In order to rectify the problem I attempted to clear out all references to
          > a
          > netMessageHandler by setting them to 0 (I use #DefaultMessageHandler in my
          > movies) and I have tried doing things like setting the multiuser instance
          > to
          > VOID and 0 and reinitializing it as a new multiuser instance and nothing
          > seems
          > to make a difference..
          >
          > Has anyone got any suggestions or comments? Or a sample movie that
          > connects to
          > a server, sends a message, and then exits when the user closes the window
          > so
          > that I can work from there with the coding.
          >
          > Thanks so much for your help,
          > Johnathon
          >

• 2. Re: Shockwave Multiuser Server Apps
            JohnathonS Level 1
            could you give an example of doing that? I've tried what I believe is doing that but it doesn't work (but I may be doing it wrong)
            • 3. Re: Shockwave Multiuser Server Apps
              Level 7
              gMux.setnetmessagehandler(#yourCallbackHandler, 0)

"JohnathonS" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:flt30o$gc3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > could you give an example of doing that? I've tried what I believe is
              > doing that but it doesn't work (but I may be doing it wrong)

• 4. Re: Shockwave Multiuser Server Apps
                patcar99
                Had the same problem and clearing the objects worked for me, thanks for the advice. ringtones