6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2015 5:25 PM by giosico

Premiere Pro CC's Warp Stabilizer BUGS...see for yourself. (7.0.1 & 7.1)

DMH79 Level 2

I'd love to hear from Adobe Staff on this one. Hopefully they can focus on fixes over features for the next update, especially for one it's most touted effects.

Warp Stabilizer works great at stabilizing clips in Premiere Pro CC...but I'm beginning to learn that it's quite buggy. The two bugs below simply cripple the user experience when you use the effect a lot like we do. Here's a link to a sample project with just 2 clips (around 1 minute in length each) on two separate timelines with each clip stabilized using the Warp Stabilizer effect. It's only a sample/test project meant to show the issue which can be MUCH larger in a longer/bigger project. Relink to any longer media and you'll quickly see what happens when you have multiple warp stabilizers applied to a Premiere Pro CC project and how problematic it can be.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105331144/Warp_Stabilizer_SAMPLE_Project.prproj

See for yourself.

Two VERY Annoying BUGS and One Unfortunate Feature:

BUG #1: (It affects 7.0.1 and the new 7.1 Release/Update)

1) With GPU Acceleration Enabled and both sequences open, once the timeline render bar has turned yellow, hit save.

2) Now toggle to the 2nd sequence and you'll notice a delay/freeze as the render bar switches back to red and then yellow again.

3) Now toggle back to the other sequence and you have the same thing occur. Then, you can toggle back and forth with no delay...until...the project saves (or auto-saves) again...and then the delay/freeze will happen all over again.

4) Side Note: Even when you right-click on the sequence in the Project window, there's a delay. Right-click on a sequence with no Warp Stabilizers and the drop down list pops up immediately.

What's the Big Deal?: When you have tons more warp stabilizer effects applied to multiple sequences, not only does it take a while to save, but when it does, you are forced to wait while Premiere Pro freezes momentarily. This affects AUTO-SAVE too!!! The more warp stabilizers, the longer the wait. Our sequences have delayed up to 30-40 seconds depending on how much we've used warp stabilizer in each sequence. Imagine if you have Auto-Save set to every 30 minutes or less, well that means that every 30 minutes or less you'll be forced to stop while premiere freezes up for 30-40 seconds or so (depending on how much this effect is used). Other effects do NOT have this issue.

BUG #2: (It affects only the new October Release/Update of Premiere 7.1...this issue is NEW and does NOT occur in 7.0.1!!!)

1) Take the above project into Premiere Pro CC 7.1 (again, this does NOT occur in the previous 7.0.1 release) and hit FILE>EXPORT>Media.

2) You'll notice a delay while the EXPORT SETTINGS popup opens.

3) Toggle to different "FORMATS" in the export settings window and there's more delays every time the format is switched.

What's the Big Deal?: Again, this is a small sample project. When you have a much bigger project with lots more Warp Stabilizers applied to many more clips this "delay" can extend up to several minutes!!! Yes, on a recent project over an hour with MANY warp stabilizers applied to lots of clips, it took 7 minutes for the Export Settings window to pop up after hitting EXPORT>Media. And there was about a one minute delay now when switching formats. This occurs whether GPU Accleration is enabled or not. It ONLY occurs on Premiere Pro CC 7.1

UNFORTUNATE FEATURE #1:

We obviously use Warp Stabilizer A LOT. It's a great effect. The above bugs cripple the user experience. This last issue isn't a bug, but rather a default setting on Premiere Pro's warp stabilizer that should be changed. Within the settings of Warp Stabilizer there's a section called "Method". The default setting is "Subspace Warp". That sounds pretty cool. But in practice, and we have had lots of practice (eg. THOUSANDS of clips stabilized in just the last few months alone (no exaggeration)), we've found that switching the default method to "Position, Scale, Rotation" is a MUCH more effective way to stabilize a clip. Most of the time it cuts down on that "wobble" that you might see in complex moving clips...but more importantly, 9 out of 10 times it crops the video either the same or less than when you use the default method. By "crops less" I mean that the "Auto-Scale %" is less. Of those 9 times, I'd guess 7 or 8 of them would crop in on the video less while the other 1 or 2 times there would be no change to the Auto-Scale %. Less scaling = better.

What's the Big Deal?: Well, as cool as Subspace Warp sounds, our numbers don't lie. Again, we use this effect on HUNDREDS of clips every week. When you have to go into hundreds and hundreds of clips every week and keep switching the setting so the effect will work better, it gets old real fast. We end up wasting so much time doing this but it's worth it because the results are undeniable. Why not create a CUSTOM PRESET???! Well, that'd be nice if it worked...but it doesn't. The problem with a custom preset like that is that when you drop it on a clip, it doesn't activate/analyze the clip automatically so you have to manually go into the settings and hit analyze which negates any time saved. It's be great if the default "method" was simply changed to Position, Scale, and Rotation. Or at the very least, it'd be great if one could create a custom preset that would automatically activate/analyze the clip it's dropped on (just like the original effect does). 

(BONUS FEATURE: It'd also be nice to have the ability to set a "max scaling %" too so you never crop in more than a preselected amount...but first things first...fixes over features.)

NOTE: I'm on a 2011 suped up iMac running OSX 10.8.5

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CC's Warp Stabilizer BUGS...see for yourself. (7.0.1 & 7.1)
          Axel Matt Level 4

Hi,

This is a user-to-user forum. Only sometime Adobe employee take a look here and post answers.

The better way is to fill out a Bug Report on https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Axel

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CC's Warp Stabilizer BUGS...see for yourself. (7.0.1 & 7.1)
            DMH79 Level 2

Axel Matt wrote:

Hi,

This is a user-to-user forum. Only sometime Adobe employee take a look here and post answers.

The better way is to fill out a Bug Report on https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Axel

Thank you Axel. I am aware of where I'm posting this, but still curious. Bug reports have been filed as I know that is truly the best way to fix things...but a little "targeted SEO Boost" never hurt either in generating awareness. Bug Reports are always the first thing I do once I've done everything I can to pin point the cause of an issue. Trust me, it took me countless hours to figure out the cause of these delays and freezes, etc. Cheers!

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CC's Warp Stabilizer BUGS...see for yourself. (7.0.1 & 7.1)
              [r]Evolution Level 1

Would it help to  Render these Warp Stabaliized clips instead of leaving them in the sequence w/ the Effect applied?

Any way to "Batch" Warp Stabalize your media before editing so the effect is not needed during the edit?

Sounds like you guys could benefit from having your shooters use a "Stabalizer".

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CC's Warp Stabilizer BUGS...see for yourself. (7.0.1 & 7.1)
                DMH79 Level 2

[r]Evolution wrote:

Would it help to  Render these Warp Stabaliized clips instead of leaving them in the sequence w/ the Effect applied?

Any way to "Batch" Warp Stabalize your media before editing so the effect is not needed during the edit?

Sounds like you guys could benefit from having your shooters use a "Stabalizer".

Thanks for the rendering tip rEvolution. Rendering the clips does help with BUG#1, however, I'm not sure if it would truly save us any time because of the constant need to render and rerender tons of very short clips with this effect as we make adjustments to the edit. Warp Stabilizer is GPU Accelerated so playback is really smooth which is great but why does saving a project have any effect on this and cause it to freeze up? And then it works great...until the next time the project is saved. Using any other effect, there is no issue (that I've found) when a project is saved or auto-saved.

Rendering unfortunately has no effect on BUG#2 in Premiere 7.1 (again, this bug/issue did not occur in Premiere 7.0.1)

Regarding "batch" stabilizing...I'm not entirely sure what you mean. We do stabilize dozens of clips at a time before editing because it's imperative for us to know which clips (the sections we've pulled) will stabilize effectively. And then once the longer edit is complete we end up pulling all the best shots from that long sequence and copy/paste it to another sequence to make a 2nd shorter edit.

To say we've gone back and forth about the use of stabilizers would be an understatement. The fact is that we've spent almost 4 years creating a unique way to shoot based almost entirely around the effectiveness of warp stabilizer. It's taken years of trial and error but our style of shooting effectively allows us to mimick and thus replace the need for stabilizers, sliders and cranes. The extra freedom allows us to get MUCH more varied coverage of live events. It's different, I know, but it's fun and rewarding having a unique style. Granted the extra work is passed on to the editing side, but it's worth it IMO especially if these issues were addressed/fixed.

Regarding the "unfortunate feature" I mentioned, I would be satisfied knowing the default method works great for others if one were simply able to apply a custom preset of the clip with the adjusted method and it activated automatically and began analyzing the clip without the need to manually go into settings and hit analyze. That would be nice.

Thanks again for your input.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CC's Warp Stabilizer BUGS...see for yourself. (7.0.1 & 7.1)
                  jimmiesner Level 1

I am having the same problem.  Wish I hadn't upgraded, it is taking forever to encode also I have noticed that I am getting unknown errors that it can't compile.  I have found out on some warps that they have to be removed before export.  But on a huge project with many warps, it is a huge pain in A**.  Have to wait to encode, watch it encode, wait to see which warp is the problem, remove the warp and repeat.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CC's Warp Stabilizer BUGS...see for yourself. (7.0.1 & 7.1)
                    giosico

I would like Warp Stabilizer to batch stabilize in sequence.  For instance if you have 10 clips and drop the effect on all 10 at the same time, it starts to stabilize all 10 almost at the same time.

I think it would be better if it first finished clip one, then moved to clip 2, etc.  Or some version of that.  Rather than slowing down the computer and taking forever to finish all the clips, effectively meaning I can not work on Clip 1 until 10 is done.

My workaround is to manually apply the clip to the first one and then the second.