12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 2:59 PM by splitscreen57

Editing in Pieces

splitscreen57

I have been amassing material and editing sequences for a project I will be assembling later. I'll not need the individual projects or their media for this (thats why I have been editing in pieces) I want to export the individual segments as finished video files that I can assemble into the final project. What would be the optimal way to export and encode the individual segments for this purpose?

Dan

• 1. Re: Editing in Pieces
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why not just nest the sequences to a master sequence instead of outputing and the bringing them in again?

• 2. Re: Editing in Pieces
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

Welcome to the forum.

I use Peru Bob's suggested workflow quite often.

I normally edit my "scenes/chapters" as Sequences, within a "master Project." Most often, I will Export those Sequences for authoring to DVD-Video, or BD as individual files, but when my desired output is a single file, the Nesting of Sequences into a "master Sequence" is how I do it too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Editing in Pieces
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>export and encode the individual segments for this purpose?

If you have lots of hard drive space, Lossless Codecs http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875797

• 4. Re: Editing in Pieces
                splitscreen57 Level 1

Thanks PeruBob, Bill, and John,

I appreciate your suggestions and welcoming me so kindly to this forum and am happy to be making new friends.

I can indeed keep all the media of the multiple sections, edit the sequences for individual segments, and then nest them into a bigger project as needed. Certainly.

I may end up doing that for the project I am developing.

There are instances where the segments I want to bring into the bigger project will be multi-cam shoots accomplished with multi-clip edits. These sections represent a large amount of media not all of which is present on the edited sequence but would be necessary on the source sequence from which it was synced. Ibelieve you need to keep the source sequence for a multi-clip and its components - I could be wrong - I'll check.

You do this a few times and you can be building a large project folder.

I have another series of short docs that I am producing here in town and they will have an opening and closing segment that will be the same (mostly) for each episode and I am wondering how to produce the bookends seperately and independently and use them as needed in the seperate episodes.

John Smith, I'll do a test using one of these losless codecs and see if the resultant big video file is smaller than the project folder from whence it came. This is kinda what I was wondering about. Which is a heavier pile of data - big lossless files or all the original media from a produced project.

Thanks, guys.

Dan

• 5. Re: Editing in Pieces
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Which is a heavier pile of data - big lossless files or all the original media from a produced project

I don't do large projects (home video only) but my understanding is that the "usual" use of a lossless codec is what you describe... you have a long video where you only want to use small pieces in a consolidated project, without any loss of quality

The exact point at which it is better to keep the entire original video is likely to change from project to project, depending on just how much of the original you want to keep and use in a later project

There are always lots of options when it comes to video editing

• 6. Re: Editing in Pieces
                    shooternz Level 6

A combination of well organised and planned Projects is a fundamental and good way to work.

Premiere makes it very easy to distribute sequences amongst them all.

You also have alternative of digital intermediates.

I am wary of over large single Projects so I plan to split them  accordingly.

I wouldnt dump projects or material on the way though. Drive space is real cheap.

FWIW: I assume you have a good BACKUP routine?  Do not rely on Auto Saves.

• 7. Re: Editing in Pieces
                      splitscreen57 Level 1

I was unaware I could use a sequence from one project into a completely seperate one.

The lossless codecs being discussed seem to be windows based tools and I am working on MACS here. I'll investigate lossless MAC codecs. Shooternz has mentioned digital intermediates and I think that is what I am asking about.

This is why you consult the forums... to learn.

Thanks everyone.

• 8. Re: Editing in Pieces
                        shooternz Level 6

You can import a Project or any sequence from one to another.

DIs are fine if you have a lockdown on the content and dont intend to change it.  They can be convenient for FX work. Titles, motion grafix, intro/outros...reuseable shots... etc.

• 9. Re: Editing in Pieces
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

You list another good way to get what the OP wants, and thanks for making mention of it.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Editing in Pieces
                            splitscreen57 Level 1

I am investigating a codec called UT video which is discribed as being lossless. It is known as a windows based codec but offers a MAC version. The download files for MAC I have seen so far have no dsk img or any other familiar installing hints. 

Again I appreciate you're entertaining this discussion and it is helping me quite a bit. I'll be back to report my achievements and frustrations.

Dan

• 11. Re: Editing in Pieces
                              shooternz Level 6

Checkout Avid DnXHD as well.

Its cross platform, free and friendly.

• 12. Re: Editing in Pieces
                                splitscreen57 Level 1

Thanks - I'll investigate right away!