9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 3:51 AM by edmondplic

Help with Premiere, After Effects and Davinci workflow

patrik ingvarsson Level 1

Hi

I'm scratching my head wondering how I'm going to solve this workflow issue that I have, but hopefully it isn't that much of an issue.

We have shot a short film with an A-cam that delivers CinemaDNG files. I converted these files into Apple ProRes 422 Proxy with Davinci Resolve 9 Lite

and then I imported the proxy files into Adobe Premiere CC. The idea is to then to > edit the film in Premiere > import it to After Effects CC  via Dynamic Link (to make the effects we're after) > send it back to Premiere > export as XML to Davinci > relink to the original CinemaDNG-files and perform the color grading, and then finally export the film (either back to premiere to export it with audio or export it directly from Davinci in some way?)

I'm new to all this and I would really appreciate help!

Thanks in advance

Regards

Patrik

• 1. Re: Help with Premiere, After Effects and Davinci workflow
          shooternz Level 6

I'm new to all this and I would really appreciate help!

Lucky you did not start in the deep end!

Do you have an EDL workflow figured in the post prod plan?

Dump the proxy workflow if CC will edit the source files natively. Do a test first.

Do the dngs have timecode?

Edit source files thru to lockdown edit.

Break fx shots out to After FX

Take FX files and Edit to Resolve via EDL (or whatever)  SpeedGrade maybe more  viable for you in the new easy Direct Link workflow

Bring them back and reconform the program from EDL (or whatever).

Export via AME.

• 2. Re: Help with Premiere, After Effects and Davinci workflow
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Patrik,

Check out this workflow:

Thanks,
            Kevin

• 3. Re: Help with Premiere, After Effects and Davinci workflow
              R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Kevin,

I've noticed that P-Pro now 'supports' CinemaDNG natively ... is that with most of the (not too many) cameras that do this, or are there limitations?

Neil

• 4. Re: Help with Premiere, After Effects and Davinci workflow
                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Neil,

Only Cinema DNG coming from BlackMagic cameras is supported.

Thanks,
                Kevin

• 5. Re: Help with Premiere, After Effects and Davinci workflow

Hi guys and thanks for your replies!

Well I thought I had a good post prod plan, but now I realized it maybe wasn't that good when AE gets involved.

My initial idea was to follow this workflow tutorial > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpg0k3aD088#t=327 (He have now made this tutorial private and I'm having a hard time remembering my YouTube password so at the moment I can't watch it... great)

CC may not specifically support A-CAM's CinemaDNG files, but it will do for a rough cut, even though it looks purple and horrible

What do you think about this? I import the cinemadng folders into premiere and make a rough cut out of it, then I'll export the sequence as a XML file and bring it into Davinci where I relink to the cinemadng files and perform the color grading and then export it as 422 HQ (for example?) and then bring it back to Premiere to make my final edit and also use Dynamic Link with After Effects? Any possible failures with that technique?

Regards

Patrik

Ps: Reason why I'd like to perform color grading in Davinci and not Speed Grade is because of the purple tint I get in SG and PP!

• 6. Re: Help with Premiere, After Effects and Davinci workflow
                    needles27 Level 3

R. Neil Haugen wrote:

Kevin,

I've noticed that P-Pro now 'supports' CinemaDNG natively ... is that with most of the (not too many) cameras that do this, or are there limitations?

Neil

There is a big limitation in Premiere right now with CinemaDNG - You can edit the footage, but you don't have access to any of the RAW controls.  So, it's as good as editing with proxies anyways. 

• 7. Re: Help with Premiere, After Effects and Davinci workflow

You're right. Might as well continue working with the 422 proxy I have. Exported it as XML to Davinci and it relinked back to the original raw media, and it worked! So I feel comfortable with that.

After I've graded in Davinci, how should I proceed from there? I want to export back to Premiere so I we can make final adjustments with audio and titels etc. but also effects in After Effect! Should I export as ProRes 422 HQ? Or will that be to heavy when playing in AE? (I'm sitting on a new MacBook Pro 15" retina 16GB 1600MHz, 2.7GHz i7)

• 8. Re: Help with Premiere, After Effects and Davinci workflow
                        George Goodman

I'd like to bring this thread back to life.

The problem is that After Effects and Davinci Resolve don't play nicely together when it comes to DNG files.

What I can't figure out is how I could possibly get my DNG files out of AE. Certainly I could render to a lossless codec, but that's not what I want to do.

My ideal situation would be to start in Premier (with proxies because my DNG's are from magic lantern MLV's) and use the dynamic link for After Effects (and Audition, but thats less important) and send the resulting PR project to Davinci Resolve for a final grade and render. The problem I'm having, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that XML's AAF's and EDL's can't read a linked comp from AE. I know Adobe wants me to use Speed Grade, but I like resolve.

So basically, AE seems like a dead end for my DNG's. What am I supposed to do if I'd like to do some compositing with AE while maintaining the DNG format? Is it just that AE can read DNG's but can't write anything after? Coincidentally, I noticed that any changes made in ACR or Lightroom aren't read in Resolve.

Any ideas around this?

Thanks,

George

• 9. Re: Help with Premiere, After Effects and Davinci workflow
                          edmondplic

@george goodman I have exactly the same problem as you, did you find a solution to get an XML from a prmeiere project filled with AE comps??

Regards,

Vincent