11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 4:39 PM by A.T. Romano

Preview panel not working

Finley

Can't view video in preview panel in Premiere Elements 9

• 1. Re: Preview panel not working
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Has it worked in the past?

What operating system are you using? Do you have all of the available updates? Have you manually gone to the ATI or nVidia sites and ensured you have the latest drivers for your graphics card?

Do you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

What are your project settings in Premiere Elements, listed under the Edit menu?

• 2. Re: Preview panel not working
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Finley

Could you give more details?

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on? Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of the program?

What are you doing

a. Double clicking the thumbnail in project media, getting the Preview Window with a blank screen

b. Double clicking the file on the Timeline, getting the Preview Window with a blank screen

c. Other

What are the properties of your source media on the Timeline and was is your project preset?

Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue?

If you open a new project, do you have the same problem? Is the problem confined to one particular file or to any Timeline content that you try to view in the Preview Window?

Although you are having these problems in the Preview Windows, are you having any problems playing back your Timeline content in the Edit Mode monitor? Are you getting any display card error messages or any error messages at all associated with this problem?

Please check out the above and then we will move forward with the troubleshooting based on your answers.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I did not see SG's post until after I had posted mine.

• 3. Re: Preview panel not working
              Finley Level 1

Windows 7

Capture.JPG

• 4. Re: Preview panel not working
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

-If Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Updates http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 5. Re: Preview panel not working
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And please give us all of the information we ask for or we won't be able to give you any specific advice.

• 6. Re: Preview panel not working
                    Finley Level 1

When I reopened Premiere, I got the following message regarding my NVIDIA display driver.

Not quite sure how to update the driver so I am looking into that now.

By the way, yes I have installed the latest Quicktime from Apple.

And, I am using a JVC Everio camcorder for video.

I also checked the project settings and selected the appropriate settings for the JVC video properties.

Capture 2.JPG

• 7. Re: Preview panel not working
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Finley

Be sure you are working from the 9.0.1 Update, but.....

Premiere Elements 9 was notorious for that type of message.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3177024

This is what you do...

1. Assure that you have the latest video card driver version according to the NVIDIA web site.

2. If you do, then delete the BadDrivers.txt file which can be found in the path (for Windows 7 64 bit)...

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Preview panel not working
                        Finley Level 1

Thank you.

1. I don't know if I have the 9.0.1 update - how do I check? If I don't have the update, then how do I get it?

2. I did check the NVIDIA website and it appears my driver is good - at least that was the message I got when the driver was checked.

• 9. Re: Preview panel not working
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Finley

If you go to the Premiere Elements 9 workspace Help Menu/About Premiere Elements 9, the Splash Screen that opens when you click on that should include the 9.0.1? You can update to 9.0.1 via Help Menu/Update or get it from Adobe via the link

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

Right now I am favoring the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file as the remedy.

Even if it is, you should be running from the 9.0.1 Update for Windows.

Please let us know if you are OK with the details. Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Preview panel not working
                            Finley Level 1

Success!

I found the the 9.0.1 update from Adobe and downloaded it.

Then I opened Premiere Elements again and tried to "preview" a video.

It worked!

I did not delete the "BadDrivers.txt.file".

Hopefully I am good to go but if I have another issue I will let you know.

Many, many thanks, especially for your patience.

I am somewhat technically challenged!

My goodness, though, this was a royal pain!!

Finley

• 11. Re: Preview panel not working
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Finley

Great, great news. Good job.

So glad the 9.0.1 Update worked for you. Do not bother with the BadDrivers.txt file.

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 display issue was/is a challenge for all, beginner, intermediate, and advanced users.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. Wishing you lots of trouble free video importing/editing/exporting.

Thanks.

ATR