14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 9:17 AM by A.T. Romano

software to create DVD from folder?

104ketch Level 1

I used Premiere Elements 11 to create my video project to folder.  Now looking for software to write it to DVD.

I was using ImgBurn but new version install creates a ton for malware.  Would be nice if Premiere could do it.

Thanks for your assistance....

• 1. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
          whsprague Level 4

Premier Elements does do it.  Publish&Share > Disc > DVD.

• 2. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

104ketch

As to your question on how to take the VIDEO_TS Folder to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc....

On the contrary, Premiere Elements (any version) cannot take VIDEO_TS from its burn to folder and burn it DVD-VIDEO on a DVD with the correct DVD file system using Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc.

I understand what you are up against with ImgBurn. It has always been the utility of choice to take the VIDEO_TS to disc. Recently I decided to update the version that I had for years and was hit by at least 8 unwanted installs even before the ImgBurn update. I aborted the ImgBurn update and spent a lot of time in the Control Panel area deleting the unwanted installed programs of varied topics.

I do not have a substitute to suggest at this time. I continue to use the older version of ImgBurn which was not afflicted with these current issues. The irony of it was that I selected the custom install of ImgBurn to avoid such problems. But nonetheless got hit with the problem on a large scale.

Hunt, one of the VIPs here, has always been a promoter for the use of ImgBurn, and I have discussed this matter with him. No doubt he should be joining this thread shorting to contribute perhaps a substitute for ImgBurn. I am sure there are alternatives, but I suspect no one has sought to look since the wave was to the use of ImgBurn.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I have not updated my older ImgBurn software, and due to the reports that you, and John T. Smith have pointed out, will likely not do that.

In my case, the point is a bit moot, as I have both an earlier version of ImgBurn, plus several versions of Adobe Encore (no longer offered, even with PrPro CC), so am good to go.

However, for an alternative, I would look to Roxio, Gear or Nero, to see what they have to offer. With Roxio, or Nero, I would steer very clear of their "packet-writing" modules, for drag-and-drop operations. Gear, last time I bought one of their programs, was benign, but then, so was ImgBurn for many versions.

Hunt

• 4. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks for your input on this.

I have not had any problems with Nero and what they have been using over the years "InCD". At this time, it has it as a standalone software. I have InCD installed on my computer and have several burners (burning softwares), no problems. I think it was the Sony counterpart that was involved with those packet writing problems that used to be reported.

Recently I got interested in creating disc images in Premiere Elements in conjunction with Phantom Burner and have written about it. Needs more work but it might be a way to go. But you still need 3rd party software for the copy.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/11/pe12-disc-imagephantom-burner-pe.html

But there is an interesting perk in that study, that is, the possibility to import the disc image into Premiere Elements

as VOB or .m2ts Timeline media. More on that another time.

I will do some homework on possible alternatives for VIDEO_TS to DVD, unless ImgBurn changes course on its free delivery.

ATR

• 5. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The issues with both InCD and DLA have been well documented, as causing most versions of PrPro, Encore and PrE to not "see" the DVD burner/multi-drive. That you have had great luck is a good thing, but is very rare. That is why I issued the warning.

Hunt

• 6. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know, Imgburn does not install any "malware" but it DOES install toolbar addons if you do not pay attention to the install options

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons

• 7. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

Thanks for sharing your experiences with ImgBurn downloading/updating.

I am commenting because my recent experience, even being cautious and using a custom install, led to far more than a bunch of unwanted toolbars. It was an invasion of installed programs (at least 8), ranging in content all over the place.

For me, it is not worth a second look to see if the experience has changed any since this event took place few weeks ago.

ATR

• 8. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
                        Sciman

I have used Premiere Elements 10 and earlier versions to create all of my SD video projects initially to folder and then burning the resulting VIDEO_TS folder and its files to DVD using standard OS functionality (just like creating a data disc, i.e. copying the folder with its files to the empty disc and then burning).  This has worked for me in both Windows XP and Mac OS X (10.7.5).  Have you tried this? 

Unfortunately, in my case, I am now working with HD video and this simple approach is not allowing the creation of HD DVDs (see my other posting from earlier today).

• 9. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Sciman

I have just added more information to your thread

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1330759?tstart=0

related to your problems concerning AVCHD's BDMV Folder as you are burning it to a DVD disc.

And, if you say what you are doing worked in the "data disk" fashion for VIDEO_TS for DVD-VIDEO, I have concerned about the details on that. A data disc is not going to guarantee the format on the disc in the correct file system for the disc.

More after you read my latest comments in your thread.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
                            104ketch Level 1

I recently purchased a new laptop now with win 8.1 .  Since latest version of imgBurn causes problems on it I am now running the previous version with my folder (external drive) on old laptop (win 7 ulti).

I used Roxio previously to Premiere.  Folder input worked.  On new laptop I purchased, downloaded, and installed Roxio Easy Video Copy and Convert 5.  Attempt using folder created a abbreviated

output  with no menues.  Maybe software not win 8.1 compatible.  Just don't know.  Looks like I'm good as long as old laptop lives.  Let mme know of any other options or ImgBurn developers fix the

pproblem,

Thanks for your suggestions and information

• 11. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

104ketch

Thanks for the additional details of your situation.

I think that I may have a good solution for you regarding the use of ImgBurn in your Windows 8 64 bit. I have found this to be a "can do" situation without compromising the integrity of your computer. So please contsider the following. It seems to be working for me.

Premiere Elements 11 or any version

Window 8 or 8.1 64 bit

Download and install ImgBurn version 2.5.6.0 from the following site

http://www.oldapps.com/imgburn.php?old_imgburn=6666

The download made it through my firewalls and antivirus without issue.

During the installation process, my only check marks were for

"Icons and Shortcuts"

and

"Install for all users"

During the installation there was one window related to including a Ask Toolbar. I unchecked everything on that window and moved on.

ImgBurn 2.5.6.0 appears to be working fine on my Windows 8.1 64 bit and have all the essentially features that are sought for our purposes.

Please check this out, consider giving this a try, and letting us know the outcome if you try it.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....As a reference point, I believe the current version of ImgBurn is 2.5.8.0.

• 12. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
                                Sciman Level 1

ATR

You are correct!

Although the correct UDF file system does appear to be created by Windows XP, it is not created by MAC OSX!  Although I had not seen any problems with this prior to now, I have just learned now that the DVDs created this way on the MAC can have issues on some players (e.g. PS3).  Refer to my original thread for details.

• 13. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
                                  Sciman Level 1

104ketch

Please ignore my suggestion.  Apparently, although I have done this many times and not seen any problems prior to now, there are issues with this as ATR has pointed out.

• 14. Re: software to create DVD from folder?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Sciman and 104ketch

Thanks for the follow ups.

Sciman, I am heading over to your original threads to read your additional comments on the matter.

Very interesting issue that you raised.

ATR