4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 7:37 PM by wannabemekon

Fusion drive vs SSD

wannabemekon Level 1

I recently ordered an iMac that arrived incorrectly configured. Very annoying.

I ordered this:

iMac 27-inch

3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB 512GB Flash Storage

Got this:

iMac 27-inch

3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB

3TB fusion drive

I need to use this machine soon; I waited weeks for it to arrive b/c of the custom configuration, or so I was told and don't really want to have to return it. Financially the difference is a wash: the cheaper drive is basically offset by the more expensive RAM.

my question: will i have different performance from a 3TB fusion drive than from the 512mb SSD I ordered when using Premiere Pro CC and other CC apps? I had intended to use the 512mb SSD as a boot/application drive and use thunderbolt external drives for footage, renders, stills, etc.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Fusion drive vs SSD
          JEShort01 Level 4

Wannabe,

Generally speaking, the boot/OS/programs drive does not impact Permiere Pro performance much at all once the program has started. However, with only a single drive in your iMac, you would gain better performance by having the 512GB (not 512mb! ) drive do some of Premiere Pro's scratch and/or cache file duty. And this would indeed favor the SSD.

OTOH, you really want to have 16GB of RAM for Premiere Pro!

They messed up the order, so can you get started with what they delivered to you by mistake and see how it performs for your particular workflow and projects and then return it if it is too sluggish?

Good luck,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Fusion drive vs SSD
            wannabemekon Level 1

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Yes, 512gb, not mb, my typo. (I'm suffering from a kernel panic in my sinuses; also known as a head cold).

ANd yes, 16gb ram is better; i had intended to add 3rd party ram which is cheaper.

Just a quick question: don't people generally use a second drive for scratch disks and renders and cache files? This is what I always did on FCP.

I intended to use external thunderbolt drives for that.

• 3. Re: Fusion drive vs SSD
              JEShort01 Level 4

Some people do prefer to use separate drives for everything.

I personally like the speed and convenience of putting all files on a big fast RAID.

If you some very specific recommendations you must provide:

- media (i.e. HD, 4k, multi-cam angles, etc.)

- workflow and project length

- budget for all things connected to thunderbolt

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Fusion drive vs SSD
                wannabemekon Level 1

Thanks, Jim. I've discovered that Apple sent me the wrong computer -- I got someone else's! So I'll be given the proper machine.

Now I have another issue, but not for the hardware forum.

Thank you for your help.