6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 7:16 PM by RjL190365

nVidia GTX 780 Ti faster than GTX Titan

Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Today the GTX 780 Ti GPU is available starting at $699 and it is faster than the $1000 GTX Titan.  We do not have any test results but all specifications point to it being faster.  It has faster memory and more CUDA cores.  The only difference is that the GTX Titan has 6 GB of video RAM while the GTX 780 Ti has 3 GB.  Unless the media you are editing is higher than 4K, 3 GB of video RAM should be enough (see Harms data).

Will someone please move this to the hardware forum, I must have been dozing off  Bill

• 1. Re: nVidia GTX 780 Ti faster than GTX Titan
          Kenne-Johnston

I have a few different set ups. GTX 780s, Titans, and just ordered a 780 ti last night I'll do some bench marking to see what the difference is. Should have it on Tuesday. Sadly it wont be a confirmed card just yet so it wont be a true test since I'll have to tweak stuff but spec wise the 780ti is going to be amazing. I have a 4K project I've been working on the last few weeks here in Idaho for mountain biking so that should give a good benchmark. I'll let everyone know. It says I'll have it on Tuesday so I'll start the benchmarking as soon as I swap out video cards from one of the computers.

• 2. Re: nVidia GTX 780 Ti faster than GTX Titan
            Jim_Simon Level 9

[Moved to hardware forum.]

• 3. Re: nVidia GTX 780 Ti faster than GTX Titan
              Kenne-Johnston Level 1

Well like I said it isn't really a supported card but WOW! Thats all I can say. This card is amazing. My Titans just got pushed to my 4K gamer and these 780tis will be my new edit cards. I did modify the apps to see the ti's and so far on my end but I cant say it will work on you end as smooth but I have no issues and it scrubbs 4k like its 1080p. So far I'm very happy with this card. I did order a few more for my other systems to keep them the same. I only say a 3min time differance but add that up more and more through out the year and its huge.

• 4. Re: nVidia GTX 780 Ti faster than GTX Titan
                RjL190365 Level 4

Bill,

Since I have no intention of upgrading my CPU and motherboard to begin with (I have a last-generation i7-3770K running on a P67 motherboard as my main system), the GTX 780 Ti is definitely out of consideration for that rig. To harness anywhere close to its full potential, one must have a PC based on a heavily overclocked hexa-core Ivy Bridge-E CPU or a dual Xeon E5-2687W v2 with more than 32GB of RAM and a large parity RAID array with a discrete hardware RAID controller.

My PC, on the other hand, only has the CPU and motherboard described in the above paragraph (in parentheses), plus 32GB of RAM and a total of four disks (two of which are a RAID 0'd pair, plus two individual disks) plus an OS SSD. As such, I am tempted to update the GPU yet somewhat downgrade the performance (I currently have a GTX 560 Ti 448 in that system, which might still be a bit overkill for that rig, even with its CPU overclocked to 4.2GHz).

• 5. Re: nVidia GTX 780 Ti faster than GTX Titan
                  Kenne-Johnston Level 1

The 3770k will be a great match for a single 780ti. Thats just coming from building systems on a daily basis. SLI 780tis would start over killing stuff.I have a similar set up I can test if wanted on PPMB and get a benchmarks give me a few hours.

• 6. Re: nVidia GTX 780 Ti faster than GTX Titan
                    RjL190365 Level 4

The 3770k will be a great match for a single 780ti.

Maybe on an absolute scale. But in my previous post in this thread I compared to the PPBM6 results Harm's Monster achieved. (And granted, Harm's Monster was equipped with a GTX 680 when he tested it.) Thus, if my i7-3770K was 2.5x slower than Harm's Monster in the H.264 Blu-ray portion of the PPBM6 test suite (259 seconds versus 115 seconds), then the MPEG-2 DVD result should also be about 2.5x slower than Harm's Monster (in other words, a result of about 52 seconds compared to the 23-second result of Harm's Monster). However, since Harm's Monster used a GTX 680 to achieve those results at the time he tested it, it follows that the recommended GPU for my system to achieve that particular balance would have been a plain, non-Boost GTX 650 Ti.

That said, I tested a 2GB GTX 660 from eVGA (a GTX 660 SC) in both my auxiliary i5-2400 system and my main i7-3770K system, and while I do agree that the GTX 660 was a bit overkill with an i5 with only 16GB of RAM {its MPEG-2 DVD result of 40 seconds was 2 seconds slower than the same card did in my main rig although I cannot confirm whether the slower result was CPU-limited or RAM-limited (UPDATE: I investigated further, and the 2-second slower result was due to the auxiliary system's PCI-e x16 slot running at only PCI-e 2.0 instead of PCI-e 3.0 bandwidth)}, the GTX 660 would be a good match for an i7-3770K with a moderately overclocked CPU, 32GB of RAM and a two-disk RAID 0 with the latest-generation 7200 RPM disks (such as the 1TB to 3TB models in the Seagate 7200.14 line). In fact, the GTX 660 scored the same (38 seconds) as my old GTX 560 Ti 448 (which should really have been named a GTX 570 LE instead of its released name) in the MPEG-2 DVD portion of the PPBM6 test suite.

Message was edited by: RjL190365