7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 10:10 PM by A.T. Romano

Automatically clips end of imported windows file

J.Ke11y Level 1

I am trying to edit a window media file in Premiere Elements 10. It is 20:07:00 minutes long, however on import, Premiere Elements only shows the clip to be 19:47:00 minutes long. So it is clipping quite a bit and unfortunately, I need those last 20 seconds.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Automatically clips end of imported windows file
          A.T. Romano Level 7

J.Kelly

What are the properties of this "window media file"...video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, etc.

What is its origin?

How are you importing this file into Premiere Elements 10...Get Media/ then what or other?

And, what are you setting as the Premiere Elements 10 project preset?

Is this issue "it never worked" or "it worked before but not now"?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Automatically clips end of imported windows file
            J.Ke11y Level 1

ATR,

thank you for responding.

I click on get media, get video from files and folder, I chose my video and then I import it, that's where I lose my 20 seconds. It is a recorded audio conference with visual slides that needs chopped down a little that I pulled from Verizon, my audio conference provider.

When I click on properties inside Premiere Elements, this is what is says:

File Path:.....

Type: Windows Media

File Size: 5.6 MB

Image Size: 704x528

Frame Rate: 2.00

Source Audio Format: 16000Hz - 16 Bit - Mono

Project Audio Format: 32000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono

Total Duration: 00:19:47:00 (this is after the automatic chop at the end)

Average Data Rate: 4KB/Sec

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.00

I have never tried this before so I would say this is the first time it has done this, but not that I know if it ever worked. As far as presets, I don't know how to set those. I would imagine the difference in audio format might be where my problem lies?

• 3. Re: Automatically clips end of imported windows file
              A.T. Romano Level 7

J.Kelly

The first thing that caught my attention was that frame rate of 2.00 frames per second. Until proven otherwise no version is going to give you an export with that frame rate...same as source in export settings does not often work for these situations atypical for Premiere Elements.

And from the point of view of import, what are you or the project selecting as the project preset since there is no 704 x 528 @ 2 frames per second offered as project preset.

Did Windows Live Movie Maker come with your computer operating system? If so, you might try to look at this .wmv video there and determine if you run into the same type of issues as you have in Premiere Elements.

As for project preset in Premiere Elements 10, when the project opens you should be greeted by the new project dialog where you select and set a project preset that matches the properties of your source media. If you do nothing except click OK to get by it, then your project preset will be NTSC DV Standard (if you are setup for NTSC) or PAL DV Standard (if you are setup for PAL). In the NTSC case, the frame rate is 29.97 interlaced frames per second. In the PAL case, the frame rate is 25 interlaced frames per second. What are you doing in this regard?

Please review, but look at this video in Windows Live Movie Maker. It may help us to deal with the file or it might be the alternative program that you need to achieve your goal.

Looking forward to your follow up. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Automatically clips end of imported windows file
                the_wine_snob Level 9

J.Kelly,

If you do not mind, I have a couple of questions, please.

Is that Duration, 00;19;47;00, that shown on the Timeline, or in the Project's Assets Panel>Properties?

On the Timeline, is there a tiny triangle in the upper-right on the Tail of that Clip?

If there is not, then click+drag on the Tail, to see if the Clip extends a bit.

I am not holding out a lot of hope, but want to make sure that the truncation is not just visual, and that your Imported Clip has been cut short. I have seen file Truncation, but that usually shows a Duration of about 20 - 30 sec. though the file should be much longer - almost the opposite of what you are seeing, where the Duration is nearly complete, but not quite.

I also wonder about the source file's 2 FPS, as you most likely have a 29.97/30 FPS Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Automatically clips end of imported windows file
                  J.Ke11y Level 1

Hi ATR,

I do have Windows Movie Maker and I do not run into that issues with it. However, since I am trying to cut out "ehm's" and "uhm's", i would rather use Premiere elements as I can actually see when those occure using this software.

As far as what I chose in Premiere Elements when I open a new project, it is NTSC, and no I am not very well versed in movie editing lingo, so I am not quite sure how to anwer your one question.

And from the point of view of import, what are you or the project selecting as the project preset since there is no 704 x 528 @ 2 frames per second offered as project preset.

• 6. Re: Automatically clips end of imported windows file
                    J.Ke11y Level 1

Hi Bill, unfortunately that is not the case. Also, when I scroll to the very end, I can hear where it is cut off.

However, now I am at the point where I used Window Movie Maker to cut 10 seconds off each ends and that seems to work. But I am not sure if the quality of the video will still be the same as it sounds choppy and looks fuzzy in Premiere Elements.

• 7. Re: Automatically clips end of imported windows file
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

J.Kelly

I got detoured for most of the day, just catching up.

I am not sure if you have a NTSC or PAL setup. For now I am assuming NTSC.

1. Open a new Premiere Elements 10 project. If you are not doing this already, then set the project preset in the new project dialog = NTSC DV Standard.

2. Use Get Media/Files and Folders to import your .wmv (704 x 528 @ 2 frames per second) into the project Timeline workspace.

3. Render the Timeline by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard. What does the playback of that Timeline content look like in the Edit Mode monitor?

We will be watching for those results in the morning.

Thanks.

ATR