8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2013 11:37 AM by the_wine_snob

Videos made with premier elements 7 won't transfer to v. 11

estezim54

Upgraded to Element 11 and Premier Elements 11 just recently; then computer died and bought a new one running Windows 8.1.  I find that I can import still photos from cds made under v. 7 but none of the video work done with v.7 will open in v. 11.  Is there a compatibility issue?  Is there a solution?

• 1. Re: Videos made with premier elements 7 won't transfer to v. 11
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

1. What are the full specs. of the Video files, that will not Import - more info, the better?
          2. Do you get any error messages, and if so, what exactly do they say?
          3. You mention "CD's." Are these CD-Data discs, or something else?

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Videos made with premier elements 7 won't transfer to v. 11
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>none of the video work done with v.7 will open in v. 11

Do you mean that your v7 PROJECT files with not open in v11... or your VIDEO files?

If video files, what are the details?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside to read

-read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 3. Re: Videos made with premier elements 7 won't transfer to v. 11
              estezim54 Level 1

V.7 project file (work in progress) will not transfer to v.11.  I was in process of editing a video of vacation video we took with our camera.  Old computer died and tech at place I bought new one transferred all data files to new  computer.  When I try to open with v.11 I get a message to the effect that codec is wrong.  That’s why I am wondering if there is a compatibility problem between versions.  But I don’t know that much about all the technical stuff.

I do have the disc for version 7 and was wondering if I should uninstall v.11 and reinstall v.7 and see if I can open the file.  I do have available all the raw data for the project but I do hate to start over as I was almost finished with the final edit and about ready to do all that is required to put on dvd.

If I used cd previously I meant dvd.

Sent from Windows Mail

• 4. Re: Videos made with premier elements 7 won't transfer to v. 11
                nealeh Level 5

Project files from earlier versions do not always open and work well in later versions. You can reinstall PRE7, but you don't need to uninstall PRE11 - they can coexist.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 5. Re: Videos made with premier elements 7 won't transfer to v. 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

estezim54

I have just been reading your thread, and I would have this question.

Given that you have a project created in Premiere Elements 7 in the form of a project file (project.prel) and it is saved to the computer hard drive.

Have you right clicked that file (wherever it is saved to the hard drive), selected Open With, and then selected Premiere Elements 11. Or have you been doing something else?

The other aspect of all this is....when all your data, including the Premiere Elements 7 project.prel files, were transferred to the new computer, what was done with the source media that went into those projects? Did they go back in the same location where they were when they were first imported into these version 7 projects?

Right now I am suspecting the way that you are trying to open these 7 projects in 11.

I do not make a habit of it, but I do not have any problems opening a Premiere Elements 7 project.prel in version 11.

Please review. We will be watching for your further comments and results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Videos made with premier elements 7 won't transfer to v. 11
                    estezim54 Level 1

I am afraid that I have limited knowledge of computer technology….I did right click on what I assumed was the video I was looking for and only choice to open is Premier Elements 11.  When the data was transferred to this computer, it was done by a tech at the place I bought the computer.  He stated that only data files could be transferred.   I did not observe the transfer. I have no idea where any related files might be. 

I think I will just give up on this one and be happy that all the still photos are transferring to Photoshop Elements with no problem and I just have to reorganize the organizer.  Thanks for everyone who has replied.  I’m just not that computer literate at this time and I doubt I ever will be as I am already 81 years old.

Thanks, folks. 

Sent from Windows Mail

• 7. Re: Videos made with premier elements 7 won't transfer to v. 11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

esterzim54

Thanks for the continuing follow up. Sorry the news was not better.

Depending on how you decide to move forward....if you reinstall Premiere Elements 7 and try to open these projects there, see if you are greeted by "Where is the file....?" messages or error messages. If so, that would suggest a media disconnect issue in the mix of what was done. If not, so much for my theory of possible missing media involvement.

These matters are new to you and will become second nature as you work through them to the success that I feel sure will come with your interest and wanting to learn more about your projects.

ATR

• 8. Re: Videos made with premier elements 7 won't transfer to v. 11
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For some background on PrE Project files (PREL files), what they are, what the contain, and what they do not contain, this article might be helpful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3397716#3397716

That "background" might be useful in moving forward.

Good luck,

Hunt