• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC Updater - U44M1I11 Another Instance is Running

Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like just last month I was struggling with this problem with CS6. Oh wait, I was:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5753380#5753380

So now I'm back with CC. Installed all the programs today. Hit Update and of course Photoshop, Premiere, and Audition failed their Updates. Error this time was:

There was an error installing this update. Please try again or contact customer support. (U44M1|11)

I see that root spawns the Adobe Application Manager (Updater) process when I hit the Update button. Then the update fails.

Here's the end of the log file from /Library / /  Adobe Setup Error.log

11/08/13 13:52:02:164 | [INFO] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 11968 |

11/08/13 13:52:02:164 | [INFO] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 11968 | Exit Code: 11 - Another instance running, Only a single instance can be run at a time.

11/08/13 13:52:02:165 | [INFO] |  | OOBE | DE |  |  |  | 11968 | Please see specific errors for troubleshooting. For example, ERROR: DW037 ...

What's the fix, Adobe? Don't send me to:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-u44m1p7-installing-updates-ccm.html

I've already done that stuff. I'm so aggravated with this auto updater, it just doesn't work out of the box. This is a brand new 10.9 system, nothing else on it, except for CC, and it won't run it's updates after it's been installed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should have waited a few more minutes before posting the above issue. I fixed it, but the workaround is pretty poor. Adobe, you have problems with the root user spawning the updater's processes. Simple as that.

Here's my fix:

Enable the root user and give it a password in the Directory Utility (Users Groups/Login Options/Network Account Server/Open Directory Utility)

Curse Adobe for forcing you to enable the root user and thus provide another attack vector on your machine

Open Terminal

su to become the root user

Navigate to /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC/Adobe Photoshop CC.app/Contents/MacOS

Run Photoshop as root by using ./Adobe Photoshop CC

Photoshop yelled at me for a password to run something when it started up, I ignored it

Use the Update... option in the Help menu.

Note in Activity Manager that this has been spawned by Root

Check off the boxes of programs you want to update, let the updater run. You will have to close out of Photoshop and then quit it by hitting Control C in your Terminal window

You may also have to go into Activity Manager and Force Quit the logtranspot2 process.

Wait for the update to complete

Quit Terminal

Quit and re-open the Creative Cloud app and verify all the programs show as "Up to Date"

Disable the root user

Curse Adobe for forcing you to do this every time you want to update your Creative Cloud programs. It's not very convienent.

So anyway, there's your fix. Hope it saves someone else a few hours of aggravation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 02, 2014 Apr 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, this problem STILL exists with the newest Creative Cloud Updater from April of 2014, except now I'm getting a U44M1P11 error instead of U44M|11.

The same instructions above fix the problem. Creative Cloud doesn't do jack for updates for me, I always have to use the above solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this same problem ever since installing CC on a new Mavricks rMBP a few months ago.

Here is my workaround to get the updates to install as root:

• Open a finder window to ~/Library/Caches/Adobe/
  • Start an update from CC as usual
  • When the update completes the download part (at 50%) a AAMUpdater folder will appear
  • Got into that folder and copy the subfolder to your Desktop (before the install fails and CC deletes it.)
    • This is the updater that CC tries to run (without root privileges) and fails
  • Run the updater in the copied folder as root (it's nested a couple levels down) using one of the techniques described here: https://bogner.sh/2013/01/os-x-macsudoer-and-3-other-ways-to-run-applications-as-root/
    • I did it from the terminal, just remember to sudo the real executable in {TheUpdater.App}/Contents/MacOS/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a brand new MBP with Yosemite and installed Creative Cloud fresh to it. Hilariously, the exact same error. Brand new computer! Totally fresh install! Can't update any of the apps out of the box!

So presumably every single person who has purchased CC has this same problem and yet Adobe hasn't fixed it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Going to post a Mee too here. Same with a cleanly installed iMac, and a Macbook Air. I have to log in as root to be able to update.

The error seems to be due to mine and the root installation programs beeing open at the same time, since it prompted me to allow it to start it as root (!!!!!)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines