2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2013 8:27 PM by onearmjohn

Remove an image from a closely coloured background

onearmjohn

Hi,

I have taken a series of pictures in a light box with the aim of using them in a school recipe book we are making and selling for charity. I'd like to try and remove the background of one image in particular. The image is of a plain cupcake in a white liner taken on a white background. My aim is to use the image on either a white page of a pastel tinted page with the recipe listed at the side. Can any one suggest a suitable techniques to achieve this? P.S. I have Photoshop CS4 on my home machine and CS6 on my work machine. Thank you. Cupcake.jpg

• 1. Re: Remove an image from a closely coloured background
          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You could select a channel that has the most contrast between the subject and the back ground start to create a selection that you could drop out the bg.  The blue would be good for the muffin and the background.  However, you have a lot of white on white, where I think you're just going to have to go in and use a brush to mask out the bg.  Luckily it isn't that complex of an image.  For a lot of the straight sections of the paper cup, you can use click the brush, then move the cursor and shift click to create a straight line.  I would say you couls also use the pen tool, but the edges are soft, so you would have to feather them after creating your selection from the path.

• 2. Re: Remove an image from a closely coloured background
            onearmjohn Level 1

Much appreciated. i will give that a go. I probably should have taken the pics on a darker background. Guess thats why they call it a learning curve :-)