5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2013 1:03 PM by A.T. Romano

Disc Menu woes in Premiere Elements 11

thorie

I am trying to do something that I thought would be very easy: I'm trying to create a simple, custom, disc menu.

I have 3 HD clips; one I want to use as the menu background; the other two should be linked from the main menu. I tried modifying the standard templates with no luck -- then I downloaded an empty template from a forum post, but that's not working out, either.

I need a menu that is a single page and has two buttons only, one for playing each of the clips. Nothing else. No "Play video" button, no titles, no scenes -- just those two buttons on top of the background video clip.

The problems:

1. When I add markers for the second clip, I automatically get a second menu page, which I don't want.

2. I can't figure out how to delete unwanted elements or buttons, such as the "Play video" button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Disc Menu woes in Premiere Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

thorie

I will think about this some more in the morning. But...

1. Whether it be a main menu page or a scene menu page, once you exceed the designed in number of buttons per page a new main menu or scene menu page is generated and so on.

2. Getting rid of the Play All button can be easy or have some complications if the button is designed with a background. But the easy scenario is to double click the Play All button to bring up the Change Text box, with the text highighted hit Delete, Spacebar, then OK. The Play All is gone.

3. For your one page menu look at the different menu and their buttons per page. Are you after text buttons or thumbnail button with some text underneath. If you cannot find a main menu to suit your purposes, you can use one of the scene menus, change its name to be a main menu, and use main menu markers on the Timeline.

More on that tomorrow.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Disc Menu woes in Premiere Elements 11
            thorie Level 1

Thank you -- that should give me the information I need. A couple of follow-up questions, if I may:

1. If I delete the caption text for the Play Video button, will it still be selectable via the next/previous buttons?

2. How do I rename the scene menu to become a main menu?

Thanks in advance!

-- thorie

• 3. Re: Disc Menu woes in Premiere Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

thorie

As for

2. How do I rename the scene menu to become a main menu?

Work from copies of the .psd files involved and give the main menu .psd the exact name that is used for the scene menu .psd and vice versa. I would place all modified themes in their own folder in accord with the folder file structure on the hard drive. Rather than using that Online Folder area, I prefer the following for any of my DVD Templates "specials"

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

Common

Mini background on that...each DVD template includes a main menu - scene menu set. Each of those has an exact required name. Just give the main menu .psd file name to the scene menu .psd file and the scene menu name to the main menu .psd file. These DVD Template .psd files can be found...

Local Disk C

Program Files

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

General

and let us say we want Aquarium in the General Folder.

Note that a theme can come in 3 types, s (standard), w (widescreen), and hd (high definition).

If you had a s (standard) project, you would change the file name of the main main .psd file

from

Aquarium_pal_s_mm.psd

to

Aquarium_pal_s_sm.psd

(use scene markers)

and

from

Aquarium_pal_s_sm.psd

to

Aquarium_pal_s_mm.psd

(use main menu markers)

Not all theme has hd offerings.

As for

1. If I delete the caption text for the Play Video button, will it still be selectable via the next/previous buttons?

If you have a one page menu (one main menu page), the next and previous buttons would not be applicable. What are you thinking of....a situation where you will have a spill over from your one page menu when your number of Timeline main markers exceeds the designed in number of buttons for the main menu? In that case, you will have to delete the Play Video button from each of the additional pages generated because of the spill over.

Please check out the above and see if any of that works for your purposes.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Disc Menu woes in Premiere Elements 11
                thorie Level 1

Awesome -- thank you!

Re previous/next: I was referring to the action of selecting buttons on the same page, e.g. selecting which clip to play.

I'll try this a little later, but I sounds like is exactly what I need

-- thorie

• 5. Re: Disc Menu woes in Premiere Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

thorie

If you remove the Play All, you should do fine selecting the button of choice on the main menu for playback of it.

But, check this out, if you have 3 buttons and select the 2nd, you will get play back of 2, followed by 3 as per the placement of the main menu markers that were placed on the Timeline.

More later. We will be watching for your results.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR