9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2013 5:54 PM by A.T. Romano

Slideshow and Elements 11

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

I have a 20-minute clip which looks reasonable. I then have a related 20 still images which I would like to include maybe after the movie, but I don't really want to simply add them one after another. I was thinking more of a slideshow (not sure which software to do that in, though).

Is it possible to build a slideshow and then somehow incorporate it into Elements 11, or would I need to consider the movie and slideshow as two separate entities and just burn one after another seaparely onto a DVD?

Thanks again.

Steve

• 1. Re: Slideshow and Elements 11
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Can you provide a bit more clarification to this statement:

but I don't really want to simply add them one after another. I was thinking more of a slideshow (not sure which software to do that in, though).

By that, do you mean adding Transitions between those Still Images, perhaps Pans & Zooms too, or something else?

Until we know exactly what you want to achieve, with that "SlideShow," I will venture that PrE can do just what you want, but reserve the option to change my mind...

There are many things that one can do with Still Images on the PrE Timeline, and they might be just what you need.

Good luck, and let us know just a bit more, please.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Slideshow and Elements 11
            SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Bill

Thanks fo getting back to me.

Basically, the clip is complete, but I have several photos left over and rather than not use them at all, I considered the idea of a slideshow that would appear after the clip on DVD had finished.

No, not really transitions between them - I just thought about using them in a slideshow. I am not sure, however, if Elements can incorporate a third-party slideshow?

Otherwise, I imagine I would just have to burn the spare photos on a DVD to appear after the clip.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Slideshow and Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

That goal that you described is easily achieved in a Premiere Elements workflow. And it has several variations. One might be:

Set up your Premiere Elements Timeline with your clip as the main attraction, place a stop marker at the end of it, a few frames space, then start your photos as a "bonus item" which can be accessed from the main menu bonus button because you headed the first photo with  a main menu marker.

We could go into finer detail if you are interested.

ATR

• 4. Re: Slideshow and Elements 11
                SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

That idea sounds great.

I hadn't explored Elements Organiser before (which is why I had started to consider the third-party slideshow idea I mentioned originally).

I am just sorting out the photos for the slideshow and would definitely be interested in going into finer detail. In particular, I am not sure what you mean when you say 'main menu bonus button'.

Thanks again.

Steve

• 5. Re: Slideshow and Elements 11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

The main menu of the DVD template typically consists of a main menu and scene menu.

The main menu is characterized by a Play All (Movie) button to do just that and a Scene Selection button for the viewer to navigate directly to a particular scene in the movie that you have targeted by placing a scene marker at the beginning of Timeline image. But, many of the DVD Template main menu pages have a 3rd button. Sometimes it is called Main Menu, sometimes Bonus. It is that Bonus feature that we are going to take advantage of for your purposes. Check out menus such as Fun and Aquarium to see what I mean by Bonus button.

There are several variations on what you want to do:

The first does not use a stop marker to isolate the stills from the movie playback, the second one does...

1. Major movie at Timeline level...scene markers for the movie scenes that will be displayed in the Scene Selection Page of the DVD-VIDEO.  At the end of the major movie, immediately place your stills. At the beginning of the first still place a main menu marker. Outcome...

a. From Main Menu, you can hit Play All to play straight throught from start of movie to last still on the Timeline.

b. From Main Menu, you can hit Scene Selection, can pick and choose what scene you want to see. But remember, if you have say 10 scene markers and click on 5th, the playback will be from 5th scene to the last still on the Timeline.

c. From Main Menu, you can hit Bonus and go directly to the stills where they will play back from the first to the last still and then return to the main menu.

2. Major movie at Timeline level..scene markers for the scenes that will be displayed in the Scene Selection Page of the DVD-VIDEO. At the end of the major movie, place a stop marker. Leave a few frames gap. Then place your stills. At the beginning of the first still place a main menu marker. Outcome...

a. From Main Menu, when you hit Play All, it will play from the start to the end of just the movie and then return to the main menu.

b. From the Main Menu, when you hit Scene Selection, can pick and choose what scene you want to see in the movie. Now if there are 10 movie scene markers and you click on 5th, the playback will be from 5th scene to the end of the movie, not to the end of the stills.

c. From Main Menu, you can hit Bonus and go directly to the stills where they will play back from the first to the last still and then return to the main menu.

If you are incorporating some aspects of the Elements Organizer into this work, please let me know and I will incorporate the appropriate integration details. A major perk in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor slideshow is that you can create a slideshow there, output it in a non wmv video format (.psess), and, once it gets to Premiere Elements, you can use Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow in order to do further work on the slideshow.

Please review and then let me know if any of that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Slideshow and Elements 11
                    SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Many thanks for your comprehensive explanation.

The movie clip is about 20 mins long only, but could justify two or three scene markers.

I was probably thinking of something along the lines of clicking on a menu link that took the viewer to view the entire movie clip itself (from beginning to end), or to navigate to one of its scene markers; or to visit the 'Bonus' stills directly. If possible, however, I would wish for the viewer to watch the clip and the subsequent stills from beginning to end.

In terms of the stills themselves, I would put together a slideshow of about 50 stills in Elements Organiser. When that has been saved, I would then hope to be able to import it onto the Timeline (is that how you would do it?) that holds my 20 min movie clip.

Does the above sound feasible?

• 7. Re: Slideshow and Elements 11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Play All

Once you put the stop marker into the equation, you lose the Play All opportunity to do just that. With the stop marker at the end of the movie and then the photos following as described, Play All will result in playback of the movie from start to end (location of stop marker) and immediately return to the main menu. Access to the stills comes only by making the selection of Bonus on the main menu. When that is done, as mentioned previously, the play back is from first still to last and then return to the main menu.

With no stop marker, then Play All does play all from beginning of movie to the last still.

There is another possible scenario to consider...

Movie with its scene markers as appropriate. No stop marker at end. Instead, immediate following of photos. The first photo would have a scene marker instead of main menu marker. Its existance would be made know in the Scene Selection page/last scene thumbnail, not the Main Menu page/bonus button.

In this scenario, Play All would play all...beginning of movie to last still.

Scene Selection would take viewer to scene selection page to select scenes from movie or bonus items.

There should be no problem creating an Elements Organizer slideshow and outputting it into Premiere Elements Timeline. Use Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor Output option "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor". Once the slideshow is on the Premiere Elements Timeline, right click the file (video format slideshow), select Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow if you need to do some more significant edits.

Please check out the above and let us know if we need to fine tune any of those details.

Thanks.

ATR

Remember, mini test runs before the grand project.

• 8. Re: Slideshow and Elements 11
                        SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

Many thanks for all your encouragement.

I will set to work tomorrow!

Steve

• 9. Re: Slideshow and Elements 11
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Thanks.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you run into any should I or shouldn't I questions while going through the workflow.

ATR