14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 1:58 PM by A.T. Romano

Blurry Menus - PE11

andrew-dd_1937 Level 1

Why do all of PE11's (built-in) main and scene menus appear blurry when viewed on my computer's screen and/or on burned DVDs when they are viewed on TV?

Incidentally, I don't remember seeing this problem when I was using PE2.

Thank you. 

• 1. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

andrew

What specfic Premiere Elements 11 DVD Template? What project preset? Do the menu choices offered you include those with HD markings? If so, are you selecting one of them or one without the "HD" markings. Are you doing DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen? What is the TV screen size that is involved in the view of the DVD-VIDEO on the TV's DVD player?

I have found that the quality of the Preview display in Movie Menu section is often poor, and I have depended on Preview to test just the buttons for navigation of the TV remote. But, usually the menus have presented fine when viewing the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Could you describe whatever customization that you might be doing to the Movie Menu section choice?

Please give as much detail as possible.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
            andrew-dd_1937 Level 1

Hi, thank you for responding so quickly.

1) The (movie menu) template is “Grid” in General.

2) I used the project preset that automatically starts when PE11 opens, i.e. HD 1080i

3) I did not use any HD menu choices

4) I burned the DVD using NTSC Widescreen Dolby DVD in Publish & Share.

5) The TV is a SONY Bravia KDL-40Z4100

6) The DVD player is Panasonic with 1080 upgrading capability.

7) Connection between the player and the TV is by HDMI cable

8) The computer is running Windows 7 Pro.

9) Note - the computer’s menu images are just as blurry as those that appear on the TV from the DVD

The movie comprises 8 separate mp3 audio tracks, 10 jpg still photos, and has a total length of 2;47;21;09

The purpose behind the project is to archive speeches made in 1983 at my school’s 500th anniversary.

I wanted to produce a disc that, for simplicity’s sake, has an autorun feature, and PE11 definitely provides this.

Any suggestions you can make on how to sharpen the video’s scene menus would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

PS how complicated would it be to make my own movie template that syncs to the menu markers?

• 3. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

andrew

Just to make sure - you seem to be saying that the DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc is just a blurry menu wise when played back computer or TV. Is that correct? What is the video quality of the Timeline content, at the Timeline level and then after export and at the playback time for computer or TV?

What is the capacity of the DVD disc that you are using...4.7 GB/120 minutes or 8.5 GB/240 minutes? In this same regard, just before you hit the Burn button in the burn dialog what does the Quality area show for Space Required and Bitrate?

Here is my take on what you wrote.

If you are using the default project preset of NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30, then you are indeed using the HD version of the Grid DVD Template. Besides directing the program to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode monitor for editing purposes, it also directs the program as to which set of Movie Menu to show you in that section of the program. 1080i would give you the HD version (1440 x 1080) version of Grid.

The project preset should be set to match the properties of the source media so that that space in the monitor is appropriate for your footage. I am not sure what you did in that regard. My point here is that if you had selected a SD project preset, then you would be offered either the s (standard) of w (widescreen) choice of Grid. I am not sure if that would have made a difference in your issue. But, it is something to consider.

If you are using a 4.7 GB/120 minute DVD disc, that 2 hours 47 minute plus duration is too much for that disc. But, if it is only the menus that of question, I am not sure how far to pursue that track.

I have looked at Grid first hand at the computer level under the project description that you gave. It is not the clearest of viewing. The text is too small and the contrast in background and text is not the greatest. You could select another menu and do customization of it at the Movie Menu level.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7e 0c.html

As for making your own movie menu, it is easy enough to do after you master all the dos and don'ts and adhere to the restrict nomenclature and structural details of the .psd file and its contents. I have written about this in much detail...

for a specific situation

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-one-page-14-scene-buttons-dvd-menu.html

and as an overview

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56244

Right now my recommendation would be to select any DVD Template choice and customize it at the Movie Menu level of the program. Then we can talk further about doing customization at the level of the .psd file on the computer hard. Do you have Photoshop CS or higher?

More later.

ATR

• 4. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
                andrew-dd_1937 Level 1

Hi A.T.,

Yes, that’s exactly what I was saying.  I’m not sure how to compare the video quality on the Timeline against that for computer or TV Playback. unless you’re asking are the original photos different that show up on the menus?  If so the answer is no, I don’t see an appreciable difference.

What I have found is that the actual size of the project is 10.47GB which obviously means it’s too big for a dual layer DVD, without compressing it.  I also found that when I set a new project for HDV 720p30 and used the Art In Motion menu the end result was dramatically different.  Tthe menu screens and associated text are crisper and quite legible.  Additionally, since the original video is so big (10.47 GB) I think it would be wise to break it up into 2 x 5 GB ones.  That way I could easily use dual layer DVDs with no compression.

As for your suggestions about making my own menus no, I don’t have Photoshop CS, I only have Photoshop 6 so I don’t know if that would work.  But, I’ll check that out after I’ve remade the “500th Anniversary Speeches” videos.

Thank you.  I’m truly grateful for all your help, as I know the recipients of these discs will also be.

Yours truly,

Andrew

• 5. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Thank for the follow ups.

If you have not already, please make sure disc decisions on what you see in the burn dialog Quality Area for Space Required and Bitrate (with a check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space). For 4.7 GB/120 min and 8.5 GB/240 min discs, the max bitrate is 8.00 Mbps (Megabits per second).

That 10.47 GB may represent a file size for what is on the Timeline and not necessary the Space Required. So look at those numbers. The program makes the fit by lowering the bitrate when necessary. If it makes the fit without lowering the bitrate, then you should be OK. So, target what bitrate is shown with each type of disc. Quality does not necessary take a hit by a relatively small lowering of that bitrate.

But let us put all the numbers together and see the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
                    andrew-dd_1937 Level 1

Pardon my stupidity/ignorance but are you saying the end result for playback quality etc is better when a DVD is burned at 8 Mbps than at a lower speed?

Incidentally I’ve not had a great deal of consistency burning dual layer DVDs, so I’ll most likely be  using 4.7 GB discs for this project, regardless of the fact it will need more than one disc to complete.

Thanks for the advice.

• 7. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

The lower the bitrate the lower the quality but the file size is smaller.

The higher the bitrate the greater the quality but the file size is larger.

Think of bitrate in terms of a quality parameter that, in the case of Premiere Elements, is variable in the burn. One of the detailed accounts of variable bitrate can be found

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_bitrate

Here I am not equating the bitrate with the burn speed.

But for your purposes,

a. Premiere Elements max bitrate = 8.00 Mbps in the burn dialog. The bitrate applied to the footage during the burn can be less than that because the process is a variable bitrate. That means some sections may have a lower or higher bitrate but the variations levels would be less than the 8.00.

b. Work with "Fit Content to Available Space" selected in the burn dialog. The only time you need to work with it unchecked is if you get a "Data Rate" error message which will require you to lower manually the bitrate to continue down from 8 to whatever will allow you to continue.

Please create you Timeline (full content) and, when you get to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc, let me know what the actual readings are for Space Required and Bitrate (have a check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"). I suspect that you might get that all on one 4.7 GB/120 min disc in good quality. But let us see.

The one thing you need to rememeber about these discs...that 4.7 GB in reality is 4.38 GB and that 8.5 GB in reality is 7.95 GB.

Please check it out and then we can review the situation to get at what will work for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
                        andrew-dd_1937 Level 1

Hello A.T.

The project is finally finished (to my satisfaction).

I used 2 – 4.7 GB discs with the HDV 720p setting and the ‘Art-in-Motion’ Menu template.  Disc 1 was burned with “fit contents to available space” ticked and showed 3.85 GB (bitrate 8 Mbps).  Disc 2 was burned with “fit contents to available space” ticked and showed 4.38 GB (bitrate 5.53 Mbps).

However, I do have 2 more questions:

1) Is it possible to change a PE11 menu’s title text to “centre text” rather than the preset “left-align text”?

2) Do you suggest programming improvements to Adobe?  If so would it be possible for Adobe to introduce a PE? menu template that did not have any background.  I.E. a user could import their own image(s) etc but which sync’d to the menu markers either automatically or manually as the menus presently do?

Again, thank you for all your help.  I’m sure my colleagues will appreciate the end product.

Yours truly,

Andrew

• 9. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

As far as altering much of the Text on a Menu Template, that IS possible, with one big caveat: no part of any Button may overlap any part of another Button. Just keep that in mind, when altering Text, which is part of a Button. If it is just part of a graphic, say disc title, etc., then you do not have to worry, as that will NOT be part of a Button.

As for a blank Menu, I created one recently, for a user with specific needs, and posted a link on this forum. I will search for that thread, as that blank Menu might be useful to you.

Adobe Encore (the full-featured authoring app, that was stand-alone, then included only with PrPro, but now discontinued) DID have a full, blank Menu (both Main Menu and Scene Selection Menu), so I see no reason why Adobe would not include that, with some modifications to work with PrE, in PrE.

Good luck, and more to come,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

This is the thread with a blank Menu w/o Audio: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5700288#5700288

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

andrew

Congratulations on your accomplishments. Great job.

I am do not make suggest programming improvements to Adobe. But, I do try to nudge them in the right direction with my blog posts and what I write here. I see that Hunt responded to your last post before I got to your thread, and that he mentioned the thread where were both sought to offer the best possible suggestions for that particular user and his particular requirements. Menu creation and/or customization of existing menus is interesting, but requires strict adherence to details in nomenclature et al. But, do not overlook the customization that you can do from within the program at the Movie Menu/Disc Menus section of the program.

If you see an Adobe menu that catches your attention, but needs a bit of customization for your needs, let me know which one, and I will suggest the easiest how to.

As for the text question, was that specific to the disc menus? I do not recall such alignment opportunities. I will take another look.

Glad for the opportunity to be of assistance. Best wishes to you and your coleagues.

ATR

• 12. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

As you suggest, I try to start with a Menu Set Template, that gets me close, and then customize it, to suite my needs. I do the same thing with the Adobe Encore Menus (not so involved as the PrE Menu Sets), so that I do not have to "reinvent the wheel." Still, there are times, where I need to start from scratch, and build either the Menus, or the PrE Menu Sets, with nothing to go on. However, I do need to adhere very strictly to many conventions, and especially with the PrE Menu Sets. I often will have one of the Templates open in Ps, as a reference. It does get easier with Encore, as the Menus only have to adhere to the DVD-specs, as there is no semi-automatic authoring in that program - everything is done by hand.

Whenever one wishes to create a Menu Set for PrE, I strongly recommend that they study one of the Templates very closely, and learn what all the various characters mean, plus what the Layer Sets must contain, why and how. Not impossible, but study pays great dividends.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
                                  andrew-dd_1937 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks again for your and Bill’s responses to my question about making a blank template.  I haven’t yet worked out the complete process but will keep trying.

My question about text alignment refers to the “Movie Title”.  In the template “Grid”, the Movie Title’s text that is typed on more than one line is centre aligned.  However in the “Art-in-Motion” template the Movie Title’s text is left aligned.  Personally I prefer title text to be center aligned so is there a way to force this to happen.  Or, is it simply that HD movie template titles always center align and the regular movie templates always left align?

Andrew

• 14. Re: Blurry Menus - PE11
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Let me take a closer look at the two examples that you give. I will look at them at the Movie Menu level within Premiere Elements 11 project's Movie Menu customation as well as in the text layers of the hard drive's .psd files that are the base for what you see in Movie Menus.

Coming soon.

Interesting question.

Thanks.

ATR