16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 9:55 AM by Peru Bob

video editing pc under 1500

joejoe46

OK I been browsing the whole web, I am yet to get an good idea of what  to buy that isn't out of stock. I have no idea what to get or what to  look for. I just need a pc that can run after effects cs6, premiere cs6,  and resolve light, I'll be shooting with a t2i later on. I hope to  upgrade to a better camera... I just want this system to run without  taking so long to render any ideas? Please help, I would really  appreciate it thanks.

• 1. Re: video editing pc under 1500
          cc_merchant Level 4

Read Harm's articles on disk setup, raids, balanced systems and much more here: Tweakers Page

Under $ 1500 is not realistic with that camera. Think Low-end Warrior.

• 2. Re: video editing pc under 1500
            RjL190365 Level 4

As cc_merchant stated, under $1500 is not realistically feasible with that camera. This is due partly to the QuickTime-wrapped file format all Canon DSLRs use, and also due to the codes itself used within the QT wrapper (in this case, H.264, which usually requires more CPU horsepower than MPEG-2 or HDV to decode). QuickTime-wrapped files require the QT32 server in Premiere (as QuickTime for Windows is strictly 32-bit), which will automatically restrict the amount of RAM Premiere can use to only 4GB even if your system has 64GB installed - and then, rendering will become excruciatingly slow because the rendering operation needs far more RAM than the program can use just to even do the job acceptably well.

Add to that that editing H.264 source video requires at least eight CPU threads (such as a minimum of an Intel desktop i7 quad-core CPU) just to be handled acceptably well. At that sub-$1500 budget, there is simply not enough room in that budget for such a CPU, a motherboard, sufficient (16GB or more, preferably 32GB) RAM, a decently powerful GPU, a sufficiently powerful and high quality PSU, a large roomy case (for optimal air circulation) and multiple disks (a single disk in the entire system will not do the editing job effectively, and would take up to six times longer than with two or more disks in the same system just to render a file). Even a minimum recommended configuration of an i7-4770K, a Z87 motherboard, 32GB of RAM, a GeForce GTX 660 card, a high-quality 750W+ PSU and a full-tower ATX case would leave you with less than $200 total for the rest of your planned build (cooling, disks, OS drive, optical drive, etc.). That is what makes that budget realistically unfeasible. And do not even consider an AMD CPU because SSE 4.x support (which Adobe makes heavy use of) is incomplete or poorly implemented in these CPUs. Likewise, do not consider an AMD or any other non-Nvidia GPU for that build if you're going to continue using CS6 because non-Nvidia GPUs used as the primary graphics output will permanently lock CS6 to the MPE software-only mode.

Realistically, a system that fully meets your editing requirements will cost you at least double your original price limit. And even a minimum recomended (for your source video material) configuration would cost at least several hundred dollars over your stated limit.

• 4. Re: video editing pc under 1500
              joejoe46 Level 1

yes i would

• 5. Re: video editing pc under 1500
                joejoe46 Level 1

Is what you posted good enough to fit my needs? it looks super cheaper then what i found online? if so thank you.

• 6. Re: video editing pc under 1500
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>good enough to fit my needs?

My opinion is yes... with room to go to 32gig of ram if needed, and add a 4th hard drive if you find that you need to have separate drives for input and output video

I do NOT use raid, so can't comment on your statement "I'll be shooting with a t2i later on. I hope to  upgrade to a better camera" and if you will need raid

A Full Tower Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225 would allow you more room for hardware growth, such as adding multiple hard drives in a raid configuration

More build ideas...

-http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page

-3 price level ideas in http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

-what PC to build http://forums.adobe.com/thread/947698

-2 how to build videos http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1104182

-another video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1145366

-another video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1132363

-planning & Building http://ppbm7.com/index.php/intro-part-1

-memory for LGA2011 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1098759

-an Adobe FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878520

-http://www.shawnlam.ca/2012/premiere-pro-cs6-video-editing-computer-build/

-http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+DIY9+Its+Time+for+Sandy+Bridge+E/0xe9b142f408a2 b03ab88144a434e88de7.aspx

-several more links http://forums.adobe.com/thread/815798

-build tuning http://ppbm7.com/index.php/final-results

• 7. Re: video editing pc under 1500
                    mblack997898765

hey joejoe46  I have to completly disagree with these guys, 1500 is more than enough to work with t2i footage,  they really know nothign about computers.

I edit raw blackmagic footage on my computer and premiere can handle it, on a $1500 machine.

4770 $300

32gb ram 300$

Mboard  $250

case  $50

Psupply $100

Geforce 660gtx  $160

good cooling fan  $70

4tb hd for storage  $160

SSD for programs ifyou want  $100

thats 1,490 (before tax) and it will rip though your  t2i video.

you could save money by cutting the ram down to 16, but I'd reccoemnd 32

you could also do many different HD configurations (i dont use a ssd) but that's a whole nother topic.

• 8. Re: video editing pc under 1500
                      RjL190365 Level 4

That setup is okay if you don't mind having the PC's components run significantly hotter than it should - even at stock speed. That's because such inexpensive cases have little maximum airflow capability (relatively speaking), and can often accomodate a maximum of only two fans. Also, many of those cheaper cases are relatively cramped on the inside. That's why a more realistic price for a case that's suitable for heavy editing is $150, not $50: Larger cases with exceptional airflow capability tend to be on the expensive side..

Also, a $100 PSU is barely sufficient for the sparse components that you listed (only a single disk for absolutely everything, plus the second disk apparently only for backups). You not only need an OS disk, but also two or more additional internal disks for your work files such as media, projects, media cache, renders, previews and exports. Realistically, the minimum recomended PSU for a multi-hard-disk editing configuration is priced in the $150 to $200 range.

Plus, video editing requires reading and writing simultaneously onto disk. Unfortunately, SATA disks (both SSD and HDD) cannot do that due to the half-duplex interface connection where transfers can only travel in one direction at a time. Plus, the single disk must also deal with housekeeping of the OS itself. All that reduces performance even more and creates even more overhead than just reading and writing data files.

In addition, your total cost is for a system that still does not meet Adobe's practical minimum recommendations: Only a single disk total (and the OP would have had to do absolutely everything on just the OS disk), plus an off-system backup disk. Accounting for the higher price of my practical recomended components, the build would be priced closer to $1,800~$1,900 than $1,500.

• 9. Re: video editing pc under 1500
                        mblack997898765 Level 1

cases are ALL marketing. my case is 10 years old and maybe 20 bucks then. airflow has to do with how you set it up, not the case. trust me man, to tell yo uthe truth I find a lot of expencive cases have WAY to man fans. a cardboard box is technically just as good as a 200$ case.

100$ psu is MORE than enough.  I have a 600 watt with 5 hard drives (spinning) a beefy card, and a 4770 overvolted to crap. and I can't even use HALF the 600 watts at full boar.  again, it's ALL marketing. the difference in price is quality, a cheap 20$ psu will pop in a year, but $60-$100 should be fine for a video rig.

disks are another thing, there's many different ways to set up a machine, and it depends a lot on what you are going to be doing, generally speaking ssd/storage, should work for 90% of people.   if your editing raw, and you need live , you might have to go raid ect..  by the way adobe's standards are utterly useless.

you say $1900, but my pc was $800 and change, and again I edit 1000mbps raw with no issues.

dont get sucked in by marketing, this is coming from a VERY vetrain computer tech.

• 10. Re: video editing pc under 1500
                          cc_merchant Level 4

Since you are such

a VERY vetrain computer tech.

maybe you can demonstrate your expertise and skills by running the PPBM benchmark and show us how well you

edit 1000mbps raw with no issues.

See  PPBM6 - Benchmark Instructions

That would prove your claims to all those nitwits.

they really know nothign about computers.

• 11. Re: video editing pc under 1500
                            mblack997898765 Level 1

I've done many ppb's, and score pretty darn good yes.

pb is a good tool for beguinners, but doesent really do a ton of real world help, for that you really need someone experienced. the type of media you're editing, and your workflow dictatest heavily how your computer shoudl be confitured, when you get into professional work anyway..

I'm not going to dignify "proving my claims" that's childish, if you think you have a issue with somehting I've said feel free to discuss it.

• 12. Re: video editing pc under 1500
                              cc_merchant Level 4

It doesn't appear to be the case, those 'pretty darn good' results.

how your computer shoudl be confitured, when you get into professional work anyway..

does not inspire confidence in your capabilities, Who puts 'confiture' in their computer? Must be a 'vetrain'.

• 13. Re: video editing pc under 1500
                                mblack997898765 Level 1

Did you seriously just imply I'm not a professional because I made a typo?

I'm not often at a loss for words, but wow.

• 14. Re: video editing pc under 1500
                                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Actually the PPBM benchmark is the best realworld editing benchmark out right now. Harm and Bill set it up with media most commonly used today. Rendering the timeline gives a comparison to the actual realtime playback performance and experience. The Export process also shows the overall performance of playback and export with a system using common export codecs that give a very good idea of memory management and disk performance. The over all benefit is a single benchmark process that users can compare their systems and configurations with others. Users can also see quickly what hardware performs best with the GPU acceleration which most configuration questions revolve around currently. In considerable testing I have done with our own internal benchmarks and the PPBM tests, they are symmetric in results showing the best configurations with the MPE and Premiere over all.

Eric

ADK

• 15. Re: video editing pc under 1500
                                    mblack997898765 Level 1

Oh yeah, Don't get me wrong, ppbm is the BEST premiere benchmark there is (well virtually the only one), I've had corrispondance with bill and worked with it many times. I just mean real world if i was setting up a machine for someone there is no "overall" best. premiere and similar applications depend heavily on what work you are doing.  some people might benifit from more ram, some might not, some might benefit from high clock speed, some might benefit from SMP.  

Let me give you an example:  I don't use Raid, ssd or any type of fast disk, so likewise my ppbm score is bottlenecked quite heavily from disk speed.  so on the test, putting money into faster disks would bring up my score the most,  yet real world, since what I do doesent depend on disk speed at all it would be fairlypointless, and even though I have fairly fast cpu scores, putting money in that direction would be my better option, even though the test does not  convey that.

I think bill is doing a teriffic job, but nothing beats a knowledgeable tech.

• 16. Re: video editing pc under 1500
                                      Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you missed the point:

The over all benefit is a single benchmark process that users can compare their systems and configurations with others.