5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2013 3:37 PM by A.T. Romano

Creating custom borders

Premiere - Help!

I would like to create a video in Adobe Premiere Elements 11 with custom color borders around each video clip.  I have not been able to find out how to do this and would appreciate any help.  I would also like to know if this is just not possible so I stop looking.

• 1. Re: Creating custom borders
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Premiere - Help

I do not know if we are on the same wave length on this, but here is my take on the description of what you seek.

You should be able to do that using the Titler Shapes. Please take a look at the following blog post, especially the apart about frames. Although the idea was demo'd with still, the concept should be applicable to your video.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe11-titler-shapes-for-highlighting.html

You would put your Title (frame) on Video 2 directly above your video on Video 1 and drag out the title to cover the whole duration of the video below it. In the blog post maybe look at the Lithos Pro Wide White 51 for starters.

Have you gotten into the use of the Track Matte Key?

Track Matte (could be created in Titler) in the shape of a rectangle, Video 3

Video on Video 2 with Track Matte Key applied

Color Matte on Video 1 with color of frame.

More later with more details if necessary.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating custom borders
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Again, perhaps part of the desired result has been lost in my reading, but another way to accomplish what I think you are looking for, would be to create a Color Matte on Video Track #1. If you wish for the color to change, you would make several.

Then, place the Video on Video Track #2, and Scale it down, to "reveal" that/those Color Matte(s). This would essentially be a PiP (Picture in Picture).

Depending on the framing of the Video, now on Video #2, and the look that you want, you could also apply the Crop Effect to that, then adust the area to be Cropped, Top, Bottom, Left & Right, again, revealing the Color Matte(s) below.

Hope that one of these methods gets you what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Creating custom borders
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Premiere - Help

As per Hunt's basic approach to the matter, you might want to include the look that you get when you apply Edge Feather to the downsized video that you now have to make the frame edges look less sharp.

(fx Effects/Transform/Edge Feather for your Premiere Elements 11)

Referring to part of your original post

I would also like to know if this is just not possible so I stop looking.

Definitely don't stop now. Lots to explore to see what works for you.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 4. Re: Creating custom borders
                Premiere - Help! Level 1

Thank you for the help and encouragement.  I am very familiar with

Photoshop but this is my first experience with Premiere Elements - I am

learning a great deal and greatly appreciate the help in learning more!

• 5. Re: Creating custom borders
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Premiere - Help

Thanks for the follow up.

You will do just fine. After all the suggestions are offered, then decide what works for you. Often you can take the suggestions and mold them into your own style.

On many occasions, you might want to partner with Photoshop Elements on certain creations that you can import into Premiere Elements. But, you have a lot of creative opportunities in Premiere Elements that need to be explored and experimented with.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance. And, do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything written.

Thanks.

ATR