5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2013 10:35 AM by eyerize

Please Help! with a data merge

eyerize

Iam trying to do a data merge for my client in Indesign this is a new challenge to me and have gone through many a tutorial and uTube video but still cant get it to work properly.

Iam hoping that someone can give me some advise.

I have 11 different images (product Labels) that need personalisation with a data merge. I have attached the data merge file preview and the txt file (tab delimited text. txt)

As you can see the data merge text, seems to overflow into all the other boxes. (The blank boxes hold white text) and the images dont appear at all. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

data merge.jpg

spreadsheet.jpg

• 1. Re: Please Help! with a data merge
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

the images dont appear at all

you must specify the path to graphics

can see the data merge text, seems to overflow into all the other boxes. (The blank boxes hold white text)

First make a frame to contain the elements, then put inside text frame, number text frame, name text frame, and graphic frame

• 2. Re: Please Help! with a data merge
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

While I'm a firm believer in using the full path, there are plenty of posts here that say if the images are loose inthe same folder as the data file and template .indd it should work.

@eyerize, can you show us a screen shot of the template doc before the merge? Is this a multiple records per page merge? Did you press the preview button (if you didn't, that's good, and don't do it now).

• 3. Re: Please Help! with a data merge
              eyerize Level 1

Sorry I was showing you a preview image before below is the file that the data merge was created in I have the name, Number, Name meaning and all the images are in the same folder as the data source file

label.jpg

• 4. Re: Please Help! with a data merge
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

So you did press the preview button...

First thing I see though, is the image tag is in a text frame, not an image frame, or at least that's the way it looks in the screen cap, but it does appear correct in the prvious version, so it might just be the way the frames are displayed.

But I suspect, too, that the file is now damaged. The preview button is buggy, and once you've pressed it and then done a merge the odds that the file will ever work correctly are small. Best thing is to rebuild the template in a new file and merge without pressing preview (just trust it will work). Copy/paste from the old file seems to be OK to do this.

• 5. Re: Please Help! with a data merge
                  eyerize Level 1

Thats good advise I will start again and try the merge data rather than the preview. I will check the image box am nearly sure I put it into a text box.