12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2013 5:09 PM by Peter Spier

Drawing an seamless arrow

bfcreativenyc1 Level 1

Hi,

How can I draw a seamless arrow so that you don't see how the lines on the end don't intersect perfectly (like in the attached.) To clarify I do not want it to look like it does in the attached. And I'm aware of using the arrow end feature of the stroke panel but even the simple wide feature is not wide enough for me. 

Thanks!

arrow.png

• 1. Re: Drawing an seamless arrow
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Shorten the stem of the arrow a bit.

• 2. Re: Drawing an seamless arrow
            bfcreativenyc1 Level 1

Thanks, but it never lines up perfectly.

• 3. Re: Drawing an seamless arrow
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I haven't had a chance to look at your attempted graphic, but to draw a

regular symmetrical arrow, draw the left half, set the proxy box to

anchor the right hand side, then click on the horizontal flip button

while pressing alt, to make a mirror image copy of the left half. Then,

with the white arrow, select the two anchor points on the top of the

arrow, and, in the pathfinder, select "join path". Do the same for the

two lower anchor points that you want to connect.

This should give you a perfect, closed arrow shape, if that's what

you're looking for.

• 4. Re: Drawing an seamless arrow
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If it had to be done in InDesign and I wasn't happy with the arrowhead presets, I'd draw it with the Pen tool, and edit it to look the way I liked.

But Illustrator gives you may more arrowhead templates and more control than InDesign. You could create it there and place it in InDesign.

• 5. Re: Drawing an seamless arrow

Drawn as two paths with the pen tool and aligned by eye:

Arrow.png

• 6. Re: Drawing an seamless arrow

By the way, that's zoomed to 4000% so the misalignment I was too lazy to corect will never show.

• 7. Re: Drawing an seamless arrow
                      Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's another idea. Illustrator gives you more varieties of arrowheads, plus you have controls for scaling them relative to stroke thickness, and how they align the the stroke end. Create your arrowhead in Illustrator:

Adobe Illustrator CC001.jpg

After you get it the way you like, choose Object > Expand Appearance:

Adobe Illustrator CC002.jpg

Copy into InDesign:

InDesign002.jpg

• 8. Re: Drawing an seamless arrow
                        bfcreativenyc1 Level 1

Thanks Peter. This is what I'm after. I can do the top half (The horizontal line and the diagnol one on top.) First, I draw a horizontal line. Then I add a point to the right end of that line and another point 45 degrees and however far I want the diagnol of the arrow to go. After that is when I run into the problem. If I try to add another point on the end of the horizontal line to draw the bottom diagnol, because there is already an anchor point at the right end of the horizontal line the pen tool becomes the pen minus tool and will delete the existing point if I do that. What is the way around that. I'm sure it's something very simple and silly but I just don't know what it is.

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Drawing an seamless arrow
                          bfcreativenyc1 Level 1

Thanks, but that's not the kind of arrow I want, they don't have it in the Illustrator library and I run into the same issue of drawing it in Illustrator as well: getting the bottom diagnol to connect seamlessly.

• 10. Re: Drawing an seamless arrow
                            bfcreativenyc1 Level 1

Thanks. What's the proxy box? By left half do you mean the horizontal line and the upper diagnol?

• 11. Re: Drawing an seamless arrow
                              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The proxy box is that box with nine little boxes at the left of the

screen. Click one of the little boxes to anchor your selection.

By left half I mean, well -- I'm thinking of an arrow that is pointing

directly upwards. A normal arrow is symmetrical along one axis, and I'm

suggesting to draw the shape on only one side of that axis, then

flip+copy along that axis to create the other side of the arrow, and

finally join up the anchor points as needed with the pathfinder panel.

• 12. Re: Drawing an seamless arrow

The point is one line, the shaft is the other. You can actually draw three lines withthe line tool, if you like, and use the pathfinder to join the two lines for the point, but leave the sahft separate. You can group it with the point when you have it where you want it.

And if you want real precision, select the apex of the point with the direct select tool and get it's coordinates. You can use those to set the postion on the shaft to the same y-coordinate if the orientation is horizontal or x-coordinate for vertical.