7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2013 10:17 PM by John T Smith

Adobe Elements 12 - Video quality of downloaded DVD in editing software

Beaver Dan

Why is the video quality imported from a 1.4 GB mini disc into the Premiere 12 software worse then when I just watch it directly on my computer?  It seems like there is a big step down in quality after I download it to edit in the software program.  Why is this?  Is there something I can do to maintain the quality of the original?

• 1. Re: Adobe Elements 12 - Video quality of downloaded DVD in editing software
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Beaver Dan

What are the properties of the video that you describe as from a 1.4 GB mini disc?

Video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, pixel aspect ratio, interlaced or progressive? What is the duration of this clip? Or is this a group of clips?

What are you or the program setting as the project preset? Does the project preset in use match the properties of the source media? See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to see what the project has set if you left that job up to the program. You may need to start a new project and set the project preset manually.

What do your computer resources look like? And, what is the computer that Premiere Elements 12 is running on?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

I am not sure if you have issues or whether you are facing the expectation factor of 1920 x 1080 or higher resolution of the source and the standard of the DVD-VIDEO format 720 x 480 NTSC or 720 x 576 PAL.

More later.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Elements 12 - Video quality of downloaded DVD in editing software
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Beaver Dan,

Welcome to the forum.

ATR's questions are VERY important, and should be addressed, as soon as you have time.

Another consideration would be that IF you have a mini-DVD, with files that have already been compressed to MPEG-2, to begin with, then Import and edit those, THEN output to another compressed format/CODEC, it will be a bit like a FAX of a FAX, with quality taking a hit with each compression.

Your answers to ATR will likely tell that tale.

Good luck, and please see each question posed.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Adobe Elements 12 - Video quality of downloaded DVD in editing software
              Beaver Dan Level 1

I guess the answer to your question is that I don't know.  I am a novice.  My normal routine has been to simply use my camcorder to record games on these mini DVD's and then hook them up to the computer or the TV and watch them.  Until now, I have never wanted to edit the video.  The original video has stops and starts in it.  I usually record the game, when there is a stop in play I stop recording and then resume.  I can typically get 1/2 of a game on a disc this way.  I tried looking in the original camcorder book, but could not locate the information you are suggesting.  As far as my computer goes, I have an HP Pavilion, probably a year or two old, it runs on Windows 7.  I think there is plenty of hard drive space.  The machine has been working fine.  I think it has something to do with what you said about the presets.  I did nothing and left it up to the program.  I guess I have not given you much to go on.  I'm a bit of a dinasour I guess.

• 4. Re: Adobe Elements 12 - Video quality of downloaded DVD in editing software
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Beaver Dan

Thanks for all the helpful details.

Here is what I would like you to do.

Open Premiere Elements 12.

Go to File Menu/New/Project and, in the new project dialog, set the project preset to either NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen (depends on if you recorded 4:3 or 16:9). Before you leave the new project dialog, put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Close out of there.

Back in the Premiere Elements 12 workspace, go to Add Media/"DVD camera or computer drive"/Video Importer. You will need to have you miniDVD in the drive tray. Will your burner tray accept the miniDVD for place in tray? Most do.

In the VIdeo Importer dialog that is opened, go to the Source: field at the top of the dialog and make sure that you DVD drive is selected there.

Your Video Importer should be populated with thumbnails. Uncheck all. Select the video files from the DVD-VIDEO. The names should be VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_02_1.VOB, and so on depending on how long this DVD-VIDEO is.

Make sure that you have the Save In: field set to a named folder for this batch of VOBs. If you want the VOBs on the Timeline of the project as well as saved to the hard drive, make sure you have a check mark next to Add to Timeline. Then hit Get Media to get your VOBs into the project.

Do the Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc export with the NTSC Dolby DVD or NTSC_Widescreen Dolby DVD preset.

Play back the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc using your computer and one of its players for that purpose as well as the TV and its DVD player. Let us know the results.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Adobe Elements 12 - Video quality of downloaded DVD in editing software
                  Beaver Dan Level 1

Thank you, this is very helpful.  I will see what happens with your recommendations.  I believe that the mini DVD format is 16:9, at least I got that much figured out.  LOL.  I'm not sure what the purpose of the timeline of the project is, but I guess I will get that figured out.  Thanks

• 6. Re: Adobe Elements 12 - Video quality of downloaded DVD in editing software
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Beaver Dan,

In Premiere Elements 12 there are two basic workspaces, Expert and Quick. Also, there are two other workspace opportunities for beginners...Guided Expert and Guided Quick.

Typically Quick is minus a few features that are available in Expert.

The Expert workspace has a Timeline where you assemble your photos and videos and other source media for the project. If you have set up the correct project preset (project preset matches properties of your source media), then what is on the Timeline will be reflected in a good fit in the Edit Mode monitor for your editing purposes.

If you work in Quick, a Filmstrip with scene spaces is the counterpart of the Expert Timeline. I prefer to work in the Expert Timeline workspace since I can see what is going on and thus have more control.

Explore and experiment. And, then let us know how you are progressing.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Adobe Elements 12 - Video quality of downloaded DVD in editing software
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>not sure what the purpose of...

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

Plus

Premiere Elements FAQ List (2 pages of FAQ as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq?view=all

Premiere Elements TIPS List (6 pages of Tips as of September 2013) http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips?view=all