8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2013 7:33 PM by A.T. Romano

Publish to mp4 problem in Premier Elements 12

William LaMartin Level 1

The only way I see to publish to the best quality mp4 file is to choose to Publish+Share to Mobile Phones and Players and choose the Apple TV,iPad, iPhone4 - 1080p 29.97 presets.  That produces an mp4 file which plays perfectly in the Microsoft Windows Media Player that comes with Windows 7.  However when the video is finished, the Media Player produces the following message:

"windows media player encountered a problem while playing this file"

I can bring that mp4 file into a separate encoding program and re-encode it, and Windows Media Player does not produce that error at the end.  So it appears that Premier Elements is producing an MP4 file that Windows Media Player in Windows 7 is not completely happy with.

I should note that there is no problem using the Premier Elements produced mp4 file in the Media Player in Windows 8.  I would, however, like to sort this out for Windows 7.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Publish to mp4 problem in Premier Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

William LaMartin

I see that you are running Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit.

What is your video 1920 x 1080p30?

What results did you get using

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with the preset of MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30?

Please try that, if you have not already, as I try to recreate your results with the Windows Media Player and the Mobile Phones & Players route that you took to the .mp4 export.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Publish to mp4 problem in Premier Elements 12
            A.T. Romano Level 7

William LaMartin

Please check the Help Menu/About Windows Media Player to confirm the version that you are using on Windows 7 64 bit.

My Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit came with Windows Media Player version 12.

When I export my Premiere Elements Timeline to match the settings for the Mobile Phones and Players route that you took to the H.264.mp4 file, it played back without any messages from the player. So, cannot confirm your issue as a generalized Premiere Elements 12 issue.

When you re-encode what you suspect is a flawed video, what program are you using and what are the settings...are you producing a H.264.mp4 file with 29.97 progressive frames per second or something else?

Please check out the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD route to the H.264.mp4 and fill in the rest of the details.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Publish to mp4 problem in Premier Elements 12
              William LaMartin Level 1

I am running Premier Elements 12 on my Windows 7 desktop. 

The video I import into Premier Elements is a .MOV file crated with a Nikon D800 camera.  All I did to the video in Premier was to add a several seconds textual introduction and a several secolnds textual ending along with background music.  The .Mov file was 1920 x 1080 with 29 frames/sec.

I had chosen the Mobile Phones and Players route since in previously looking at the Computer route, I only noticed the Adobe Flash Video, which worked fine--but as you know many people now can't view Flash.  Now, however, you have, I believe, pointed me in the correct direction: Under Computer, choose MPEG.  I did that using the HD 720p 30 preset, and produced a video that did not have the error message at the end when viewed with Media Player. 

So, now I have something that works fine, and can use that.  However, I like the file size produced by the Mobile version that produces the error (which is only produce by Windows Media Player and not in Chrome or Firefox if I place the file on the web and link to it.)

• 4. Re: Publish to mp4 problem in Premier Elements 12
                A.T. Romano Level 7

William LaMartin

I had more in mind for you to use Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with the MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30 preset.

Did you not see it? Often users do not scroll down far enough in the list of choices to get to AVCHD there. That vertical bar to the right is the scroll bar for that. So very many miss it. Let us see if that can resolve your current question.

Keep in mind, project setting can be adjusted under the Advance Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of the preset selected.

Please check out the above to see if that resolves all. If not, I will offer some specific suggestions for the settings under the Advanced Button. Just define the details of the wanted properties.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Publish to mp4 problem in Premier Elements 12
                  William LaMartin Level 1

I have now used Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with the MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30 preset, and that produces a file for which there is no problem with Windows Media Player.

The only problem with that setting is that it makes a very large file to post on the web.  That is why I wanted to use the best quality and largest dimension available under the Mobile Phones and Players route, where I get the error at the end using Windows Media Player 12 in Win 7 (not in Win 8)

• 6. Re: Publish to mp4 problem in Premier Elements 12
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

William LaMartin

Not sure if you want to explore and experiment...you could see if you could find a good compromise between file size and bitrate by lowering the bitrate under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset.

If you are very pressed for file size restrictions, you might look at Windows Media.

Or can you get away with 1280 x 720p instead of 1920 x 1080p?

ATR

• 7. Re: Publish to mp4 problem in Premier Elements 12
                      William LaMartin Level 1

I will experiment to see what I can come up with. 

Thanks for your help in pointing me in the correct direction.

• 8. Re: Publish to mp4 problem in Premier Elements 12
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

William LaMartin

Thanks. Sounds like progress.

We will be watching for further developments when you get the time to post again.

ATR