11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 12:45 PM by Ryadia™

inDesign files (indd) are set to open using Acrobat XI Pro and I can't change that

Ryadia™ Level 1

Ive tried following various items of advise offered to people with similar problem here and no success.

I had a big hic-up in my Acrobat installation where someone no longer working here removed the default font used in context menus. Consequently Acrobat was seriously messed up. A Adobe Tech patiently walked me through fixing the problem but... Ever since all .indd files are set to open with acrobat and I can't set them to open with inDesign. The registry key has a couple of those monster number entries under indd that I can't identify or figure out what they represent.

This is starting to drive me nuts. Using the 'open with' has no effect. Acrobat still tries to open the file. The only way I can now open an indesign file is to firstly open inDesign and search for a file. Thankfully it will still open it this way. I've got a full house of CC on this workstation and I'm not thrilled at the likely hood of formatting the drive and starting all over again. Surely someone else had had and fixed this issue?

Thanks,

R

• 2. Re: inDesign files (indd) are set to open using Acrobat XI Pro and I can't change that
          Ryadia™ Level 1

Could you elaborate on that please? Like what ID? might b e a start.

• 4. Re: inDesign files (indd) are set to open using Acrobat XI Pro and I can't change that
            Ryadia™ Level 1

Seriously?

Re install the software?

What about the latest update that lists "Bug fixes" as its principal use? I installed that to no avail.

Every few weeks ID breaks down. I've reinstalled it 4 times since signing up for CC and each time  a few weeks later, some other (not necessarily an Adobe) program get to be the default and it can't be changed. Can't be 'opened with' and will not allow me to change the default program back to indesign.

Sorry Peter but this problem isn't being fixed by re-installing it.

Answering questions for the sake of getting numbers up without providing a constructive answer is no help at all. Somewhere in Windows Registry is a key that needs to be changed. Why ID has 2 additional numbered folders in its hive is most likely the key to whats happening. All I need to do is find someone who understands the registry more than me (or you it would seem) and the problem will be soon after fixed.

To continually re-install software in the hope it will fix a problem only further corrupts the registry and will result in either a throw away drive or a total re-format and re-installation of everything. Adobe is notorious for leaving dozens of Registry entries behind after using Windows 'add remove programs' .

Without knowing the cause of why Acrobat keeps making itself the default for inDesign, all re-installing ID will do is allow the problem to re-happen and start the whole circus over again. I think I'm better off lodging a support case for this. It was an Adobe technician who "fixed" the missing sergio font and "fixed" Acrobat. I suspect giving him free access to my PC might not have been a smart move.

R

• 5. Re: inDesign files (indd) are set to open using Acrobat XI Pro and I can't change that
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Wow. You sure do know how to thank someone for trying to help.

And in case you didn't get the sarcasm, let me spell it out for you....

Your attitude sucks!

• 6. Re: inDesign files (indd) are set to open using Acrobat XI Pro and I can't change that
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If the file association is wrong it indicates that the icon handler .dll file is damaged, and the way you fix that is to reinstall the software.

If you have an ongoing problem with this happening, it's something unique to your system. Other users do NOT have this problem. It would also have been hlepful to mention that in the first post, and that you have reinstalled already. I don't post to inflate numbers -- I couldn't care less about them, but I do have limited time and I prefer to spend it helping users who actually appreciate it.

• 7. Re: inDesign files (indd) are set to open using Acrobat XI Pro and I can't change that
                  aucom

Thanks for this succint answer, uninstalling and reinstalling (once) worked for me to fix this problem.

• 8. Re: inDesign files (indd) are set to open using Acrobat XI Pro and I can't change that
                    Ryadia™ Level 1

Peter...

The problem was a registry key in a hive with only numbers to identify it. Since someone at a forum over at Tom's hardware gave me a 90 second instruction on how to track it down, edit the key and re-boot the PC, there has been no further instances of it in over 6 months.

Your reply reminded me of the mechanic who said I'd cooked the engine in my Audi when the water pump failed. He quoted me $6000+ to fit a new engine. The 'real' mechanic I went to for a second opinion actually knew what he was doing and fixed the problem (including replacing the water pump in 2 days for $480. The cylinder heads were warped. Nothing at all wrong with the rest of the engine.

Same with my inDesign problem. Nothing at all wrong with inDesign, just a 0 where there should have been a 1 in a registry key. Maybe my attitude does suck but finding someone who didn't have the throw it away and start again attitude saved me a lot of wasted time. Thanks for your suggestion and commentary. I'll remember it for a long time.

• 9. Re: inDesign files (indd) are set to open using Acrobat XI Pro and I can't change that
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Uninstall/Reinstall is a proven method to repair this problem. You got lucky that it was a registry error. How long did it take you track down the key (including searching for where to find it)? Would that time have been well-spent if the key was set correctly? Clearly you feel comfortable editing the registry. Most users do not, even if they know what the registry is.

• 10. Re: inDesign files (indd) are set to open using Acrobat XI Pro and I can't change that
                        Frans van der Geest (ACP) Adobe Community Professional

I Never understand people complaining about this, maybe first learn how to use a computer as this is OS related. Second, if you have versions of the same software double clicking a file is not a smart way to open. Simply start your application, then go to the File menu of your application and choose Open. How difficult can that be?

• 11. Re: inDesign files (indd) are set to open using Acrobat XI Pro and I can't change that
                          Ryadia™ Level 1

Peter... I told you in my last post how long it took to fix...90 seconds. The fellow in Germany who told me how to find the hive was on my Google chat line. It was like he was beside me, telling me what to do. He also told me some relatively simple facts about how Windows uninstall works and why using it is a recipe for disaster if you plan on installing a new version of the software you remove. That was the beginning of the problem. Had I used a specialty uninstaller that tracks the registry entries left behind by Windows uninstaller, ($30 I might add) the problem would never have existed. 

Peter... I suggest that the only reason remove and reinstall is your proven method to fix the problem is because the simplest and fastest method (for someone knowledgeable of Windows) is to edit the registry in the way shown to me by a MS certified engineer. Frans van der Geest is absolutely correct in saying it is an OS problem and just like you, he gave no indication of how to fix it. Adobe's own installer is so inefficient at removing software, when I removed version 5.0 of ID using the Adobe uninstaller, it left traces of the program in the registry and in temp folders concealed under the 'user' file group.

Once I gained the knowledge I asked for here but had to go to a technologically oriented forum on Windows to get, the fix took less time than writing this reply took. Moreover... I now know how to avoid future events of this type and if needed, help others avoid the tedious task of uninstalling software that leaves traces of itself scattered around the hard drive waiting to repeat the problem (as it did to me) when a later version is installed.

I suggest that anyone who experiences this problem to get hold of a well known and reliable uninstaller app and use that to remove all traces of the rogue program before installing a later version of it. I'm undecided if leaving several versions of Adobe software on your system out of insecurity when you buy a subscription of CC is good or bad but provided you de-register the purchased software, you can always reinstall it if you opt out of CC... Reformatting the drive is probably the only way you'll ever totally rid your PC of CC but seeing as it is the way of the future, why bother removing it?