1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 30, 2007 1:01 PM by peterent

Database, SQL, PHP, Flex 2, 3

thomo007
      Hi there all,
      I'm stumpted, I've beem searching the internet for, well what seems forever, I've come across lots of different methods to connect to a database, I'm aware that Flex builder 2 doesn't connect dirrectly to SQL, but Flex 3 apparently does. I've tried lots of different ways, AMFPHP, WDSL, Java, different add on programs, but to be honest, I haven't got a clue.
      I would like to connect to a database, say a multiuser login, and people can upload, do their own thing on their own page, but I don't know what is the best way to go about it, I have Flex 2 and now 3 so if somebody out there could other me an easy suggestion to do this, I would be extremely greatful.

James
        • 1. Re: Database, SQL, PHP, Flex 2, 3
          peterent Level 2
          Neither Flex 2 nor Flex 3 connect directly to a database. Adobe AIR has a built-in version of SQL Lite and you can use that if you are running in the AIR environment. But the database is local to the machine.

For a shared database, one that lives on a remote server, you need to use some middleware. For example, a Flex application can use RemoteObject to send ActionScript classes to Java code on a server and the Java code can deal with the database.