17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2017 4:07 AM by Laubender

Name Case issue in Link Palette

John J David Level 1

I have imported couple of Links in InDesign CS6. All links are imported well. The issue is happened in case sensitive of links as described below.

1. I have imported the links with the naming convention as shown below.

001_FlowerX1.jpg

002_FlowerX2.jpg

003_FlowerX3.jpg

004_FlowerX4.jpg

005_FlowerX5.jpg

2. I have renamed the links after imported into InDesign as shown below.

001_flowerx1.jpg

002_flowerx2.jpg

003_flowerx3.jpg

004_flowerx4.jpg

005_flowerx5.jpg

Can you see the difference of the naming convention between points 1 & 2? There is a case sensitive difference.

InDesign Link palette does not show modified/missing links. The image status looks "OK" in the Link palette after change the original name in point 2.

I just wonder how InDesign does not show modified/missing links in the Links palette after changing the name. Attached screenshot of case sensitive difference in the links naming convention for your reference.

Anyone help on this issue to overcome and provide a solid solution of the same.

screenshot 135.jpg

• 1. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is your Mac set up to use case-sensitive file naming? I'm not a Mac person, but my recollection is you have to go to some pains to format the drive for case-sensitivity.

If, in fact, you simply change the case without moving the files and you are not formatted for case-sensitivity I would expect ID to continue to recognize the files at the old locations and to update automatically the next time you open the document. If you change the names in Finder whiel the document is open I would expect to see a file modifcation warning, but not a missing file. I don't know why ID isn't updating the spelling, though. Perhaps it's because it doesn't matter.

• 2. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I don't think InDesign will even install on a case sensitive volume.

• 3. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette
              John J David Level 1

Is this a Mac issue OR an application (InDesign) issue?

• 4. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In what sense are you asking that question? Are you asking about the installation on a case sensitive volume, or the names in the panel?

• 5. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette

My opinion? It's not an issue at all.

File names are not case sensitive. IMAGE 01.TIF is the same as image 01.tif.

• 6. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette
                    Doc Maik Level 4

Bob Levine wrote:

IMAGE 01.TIF is the same as image 01.tif.

On Windows, yes. On Linux, for example, no. MacOS is Unix based, so there might be case sensitivity.

• 7. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette
                      Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bob is correct. While a Mac can be set up to be case sensitive, it's not supported in the installation of Adobe products:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-case-sensitive-drives-supported.html

• 8. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette

There's no case sensitivity for file names on Mac or Windows.

• 9. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette

Yes, I should have expanded on my previous answer to Doc with the fact

that this is the case for Mac and Windows in the scope of this

discussion only.

• 10. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette
                            John J David Level 1

I am doing a script to match the physical file name (Image name) from the folder with the name available in the Link palette in InDesign. There is a mismatch while running the script. We can ignore the case sensitive option. But I just wanted to know how InDesign has differ file name from the physicial file.

As Bob said, 'IMAGE 01.TIF' and 'image 01.tif' both are same in terms of readability of the file with without using case sensitive. I should say it is different since it is not exact match interms of case sensitive.

Much appreciate if you can provide a right solution of the same.

• 11. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette
                              DBLjan Level 2

Hello guys,

i have to revive this thread, maybe someone has a script by now which can help me with this:

Ive linked 200 files in InDesign, a Logo-Lookbook. I used the function "dynamic label" to show the filename below.
                              Later I decided to massrename my filenames from e.g. _white_ to _White_.

Now I stumble over MacOS not making any difference between cases. Is there a way, to make InDesigns linklist refresh to actual filenames?

• 12. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette
                                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Jan,

interesting discussion.

Strategy 1:

How about using the package function of InDesign where the links should be updated?
                                And working on with the packaged InDesign document.

Hm. Tried that. Did not work…

Strategy 2:

Hide and relink from the Links panel.
                                Only working for the one link you have to point InDesign to that the automatic relinking process could kick in.

Strategy 3:

Scripting.

That in essence would mean place again and exchange old with new.

Or relinking from Object Link.

The snippet in ExtendScript (JavaScript) below seems to work.

Tested with InDesign CS6 on OSX 10.7.5.

var doc = app.documents[0];
                                var links = doc.links.everyItem().getElements();
                                var linksLength = links.length;

for(var n=0;n<linksLength;n++)
                                {
                                    var currentFile = File(links[n].filePath);
                                    links[n].relink(currentFile);
                                };

So I think using method relink() is the way to go.

Regards,
                                Uwe

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette
                                  DBLjan Level 2

Strategy 3 was solid gold! I fiddled around with InD link updateing, but that didnt work, nor did the packageing, which I tried first.
                                  Maybe I get more JS skills someday to create these scripts by myself with ease… 'cause there may be a work related change of position, which can drive me away from designing, to a more technical position, with making templates for priint:comet, which involves grep and scripts, i dont know yet.

• 14. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette

Hi Jan,

don't know if there are side effects using relink() with more complex stuff.
                                    Like on placed PSDs with LayerComps (should work) or placed AI-files or PDFs with more pages than one (maybe a problem).

So I would test that intensively.

If you find problem cases the script could be expanded.
                                    ( You could always hire a scripter. )

Below a before-after comparison with screenshots from my test document.

Simple JPEG relinked. Where initially JPEG was written "JPEG" in the file names and later was changed to "jpeg".

Before running the snippet:

1-Before-RelinkingByScript.png

After running the snippet:

2-After-RelinkingByScript.png

Regards,
                                    Uwe

• 15. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette

Just tested with a renamed PDF where 4 pages were placed.
                                      No problem when running the script using relink() :

Before:

1-Before-RelinkingByScript-PDF-4-pages-PLACED.png

After:

2-After-RelinkingByScript-PDF-4-pages-PLACED.png

I'm a bit relieved now…

Regards,
                                      Uwe

• 16. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette
                                        DBLjan Level 2

Yes, one has to be careful when it comes to specific file types with layers/pages/comps, but in my case, i just had Eps', and was fine with this quick and dirty attemp. So there is nothing to enhance right now.

Maybe you could secure it around some file types, but I guess the usecase is very limited – to MacOS not having a case in filename. But I see it as InD task to adopt the actual filename, eg to be consistent when it comes to dynamic labeling :-)

Uwe, you're a great guy always helping out. Thank you so much, for the past and in advance.

• 17. Re: Name Case issue in Link Palette

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+J+David  wrote

I am doing a script to match the physical file name (Image name) from the folder with the name available in the Link palette in InDesign. There is a mismatch while running the script. We can ignore the case sensitive option. But I just wanted to know how InDesign has differ file name from the physicial file.

As Bob said, 'IMAGE 01.TIF' and 'image 01.tif' both are same in terms of readability of the file with without using case sensitive. I should say it is different since it is not exact match interms of case sensitive.

Much appreciate if you can provide a right solution of the same.

Hi John,

hope you'll come back to this thread you started some years ago.

I'm not sure what you are saying in reply 10 : "There is a mismatch while running the script."

Did you solve your problem back then?

Also by using ExtendScript's method: Link.relink() ?
                                          Or did you experience any side effects when doing so?

Regards,

Uwe