12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 8:29 PM by A.T. Romano

Vocal volume on music video file too low.

felixbaron Level 1

I am having an issue with the Premiere elements 11. I am trying to edit a music video file; when I open the video file in the Premiere elements and watch and listen to the video, the sound of the musical instruments come out perfectly, but somehow, the vocalist voice sounds like it's coming out of the end of a tunnel. I have played the same media file in Windows media player and sound comes out perfectly, so Premier elements does something to this file when playing it. By the way, when I export the file and save it and then I play it in the Windows media player then the sound gets messed up. So again, Adobe does something to the audio of the file, messing it up. Any idea why?

• 1. Re: Vocal volume on music video file too low.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What are the full specs. of your Imported Audio file?

What is your PrE 11 Project Setting?

For reference, what OS version are you running PrE 11 on?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Vocal volume on music video file too low.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

felixbaron

Could you please include in your response

Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue? Is the issue confined to this particular file or to all of its kind?

What happens if you open a new project?

Do you have Windows Live Movie Maker? If the file imports into that, what do your voices sound like in that video editor?

Answers to all the questions will help in the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Vocal volume on music video file too low.
              felixbaron Level 1

What are the full specs of your Imported Audio file?
              It is actually an MPEG4 file, and I am not sure what you mean with the full specs of the audio file.

What is your PrE 11 Project Setting?
              I am actually using the defaults as I create the new project, no changes.

For reference, what OS version are you running PrE 11 on?
              I am running it on Windows 8, with an i7 processor.

• 4. Re: Vocal volume on music video file too low.
                felixbaron Level 1

Is this a "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before" issue? Is the issue confined to this particular file or to all of its kind?

This is the first time I am using this mpeg4 file.

What happens if you open a new project?

That's what I'm doing.

Do you have Windows Live Movie Maker? If the file imports into that, what do your voices sound like in that video editor?

Everthing comes out perfectly in Windows Movie maker, no audio issues.

• 6. Re: Vocal volume on music video file too low.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

felixbaron

Given that you have Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit, I am still not clear on the properties of your source media. If you are having this problem before you even get to export, then we need to focus on the properties of what you are importing. Could you get a video and audio properties readout for this file? Have you used MediaInfo before for this purpose? It is a free program but caution should be taken in the install to avoid bloat ware.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

From what you wrote, it would appear that you are accepting the project settings that the program selects. What are they? You can find out via Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and reading there topped by Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

The program sets the project settings based on the properties of the first drag to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it OK. Sometimes not. When it does not/has a conflict in doing this, it defaults to 1080i and not the closest it can come to what the settings should be. If that happens, then you set the project preset yourself before importing the source media.

Probably yes, but I will ask anyway...is a common sound system involved here? Is the Windows Movie Maker and your player for the export on the same computer as Premiere Elements?

ATR

• 7. Re: Vocal volume on music video file too low.
                    felixbaron Level 1

Media info does not provide any information that appears to help with the issue, what are you specifically looking for?

This is not a video issue rather an audio issue. I am not an audio expert on videos, but the way that it appears whats happening is that it sees the audio to be in 5.1 format (don't ask me how), and then when the vocalist's sound comes out, which is through the center speaker and it does not exist on my computer, it just plays how it's supposed to be on a 5.1 system (weak on other speakers and strong on center one), and not playing what is supposed to come out of the center speaker. But, it appears that all the other programs are able to deal with it, and still play the audio perfectly. And yes, all the programs that I've been testing with were on the same system.

• 8. Re: Vocal volume on music video file too low.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

MediaInfo should tell you that you have six channels of Audio, if that MP4 IS DD 5.1 SS.

Where did the file come from - what camera was used to record it?

If it IS DD 5.1 SS, then the dialog portion (if recorded properly) is heavily biased to the Center Channel, with but a little bit of phantom Right Front and Left Front - the majority IS located in the Center.

If the MP4 has DD 5.1 SS Audio, you will want to start with a Project Preset, that matches the Frame Size and Frame Rate of the Video, AND the Audio set to 5.1 SS Audio. That should then allow for a mixdown to 2-channel Stereo, when editing, and monitoring. That should work for you.

Another workflow, IF the Audio is DD 5.1 SS, would be to rip each channel's Audio to six discrete files - one for each channel. All six files, Saved as a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit would then be Imported into the Project, then placed onto the Timeline (all six of them). At that point, each file can be edited separately, as needed. Note: depending on the recording technique, one might not have any signal, or very little, in the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel. I do this in Adobe Audition, but believe that Audacity, and other audio-editing programs can do the same, so long as they allow for multi-channel editing.

In a professional 5.1 SS situation, the audio engineer would use 5 - 6 separate mics, to record each feed into separate files. Usually, only 5 mics would be used: LF, RF, Center, LS and RS. The LFE channel would be added in the editing phase, if required. That second workaround splits the DD 5.1 SS Audio Stream into those channels. Even if the professional's camera would allow for the recording of DD 5.1 SS (I cannot think of one that does - only consumer cameras), they would never use that method, and would opt, instead, for the seperate mics and separate Audio Streams.

Knowing more about your MP4 will likely tell more of the story. MediaInfo's "Tree View" should give you that info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Vocal volume on music video file too low.
                        felixbaron Level 1

Thanks for your detailed response!...I have listed the file attributes using midiainfo below, but when I try to create a new project in Premiere, the project settings does not have much selection choices, I can't even change the audio settings, it only has a field for 'sample rate' that is grayed out not allowing you to touch it and another field 'Display format', it hardly even allows you to do anything to a new project. In  any case the following is the file infromation:

Video

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : Main@L3.0

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames

Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=24

Codec ID                                 : avc1

Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding

Duration                                 : 2h 6mn

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 2 168 Kbps

Maximum bit rate                         : 3 270 Kbps

Width                                    : 720 pixels

Height                                   : 404 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate mode                          : Constant

Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.249

Stream size                              : 1.92 GiB (83%)

Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-11-12 01:21:33

Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-11-12 01:34:55

Color primaries                          : BT.601 NTSC

Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709

Matrix coefficients                      : BT.601

Audio

ID                                       : 2

Format                                   : AAC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec

Format profile                           : LC

Codec ID                                 : 40

Duration                                 : 2h 6mn

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 448 Kbps

Maximum bit rate                         : 574 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 6 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Stream size                              : 405 MiB (17%)

Language                                 : English

Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-11-12 01:21:33

Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-11-12 01:34:55

• 10. Re: Vocal volume on music video file too low.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

felixbaron

Thanks for the information that I had requested earlier in the thread. Let us see if we can find relevance in the data.

As you have already discovered, Premiere Elements (any version) does not have a project preset to cover

AVCHD

720 x 404 16:9

@ 29.97 progressive frames per second

with AAC 5.1 Channel Audio

What did you end up using that results in the vocal wind tunnel voices?

Out of curiosity did you have any control over the settings that generated this particular file?

Be that as it may, this is what I would like you to consider as a troubleshooting test...

Open a new project

Go to File Menu/New/Project

and set the project preset to NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30 5.1 channel

In the Premiere Elements workspace, import this file using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you do the file to the Expert workspace Timeline.

Play back the Timeline content with and without rendering that Timeline content by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard.

Do the voices have the same problems?

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If any of the above gets us beyond the import stage of the project, I will give you information on how to export AAC 5.1 channel from Premiere Elements.

• 11. Re: Vocal volume on music video file too low.
                            felixbaron Level 1

Thanks for the information. The project setting process you suggested (NTSC AVCHD Full HD 1080i30 5.1 channel) did not help with the sound issue again.

Regarding your questions:

I am not sure what you mean with that; as I mentioned every other application I open this file with has no problems producing the vocal sound, only Premiere is the one that has the problem.

Out of curiosity did you have any control over the settings that generated this particular file?

I did not get into the detail at the time, but I used a DVD ripper to copy the file from DVD to disk, I just took the defaults (assuming, I would like the same quality replicated on disk).

Here is the good news: I figured out that I was able to use the DVD ripper software to copy the DVD with the 2 channel option (I have no idea how it is able to alter it, it's way beyond my A/V skills). And, I impoted that into Premier and the sound works just fine now. This really addresses my issue. But, I really would like Adobe deal with this problem (what if I had a file that I could not change the ripping setting), because it's not just when you import the file into premiere the sound goes bad, bad also after you render and export the file and try to play it anywhere else it is all messed up. Why are other applications (including Windows Movie Maker) dealing with this issue, and Adobe is not?  

• 12. Re: Vocal volume on music video file too low.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

felixbaron

Thanks for checking out the suggested project preset that did include 5.1 channel audio in its description if not the resolution of your video file.

Regarding

I am not sure what you mean with that; as I mentioned every other application I open this file with has no problems producing the vocal sound, only Premiere is the one that has the problem.

Since I was suggesting the use of a project preset with 5.1 channel in its description, I was wondering what you went with and had the voice issue. That was what was behind all that.

By the way, what was that DVD originally? From the properties that you gave for the ripped product, it does not have the description of ripping VOBs from DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Details such as those might help define what has to be dealt with and by whom.

Congratulations on your success. We are glad that you are moving forward with your projects.

Good news that you could control the DVD ripping software so that the replacement of 5.1 channel with 2 channel resulted in a file that was problem free in Premiere Elements.

About DVD ripping...did you try to rip files from the DVD by

a. putting the DVD disc in the DVD burner tray

b. using Premiere Elements's Add Media/DVD camera and Computer Drive/Video Importer

instead of this DVD ripper software that you have been using?

Maybe give that a try if you get a chance and let us know the result. Typically one thinks about that option in terms of ripping VOBs from DVD-VIDEO which obviously you do not have to bring into Premiere Elements. It is the ".....and Computer Drive" that makes that a possibility here.

Thanks.

ATR