3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2013 12:11 PM by Szalam

Mask Question

Mark8X Level 1

Hello all,

I've used the Mask feature to create clones of the same character model and placed all of them into the same footage. So far, all went good. Right now, my next goal is to make each clone as close to each other as possible but I'm having a difficulty.

My problem is that when one of the clones shoots with his weapon, the weapon causes an area of effect that will surpass the Mask's lines for this certain clone; resulting in an unrealistic result.

I may have an idea: set the opacity of the affected area lower so that the unaffected area from my blank footage will show up instead. But I'm not sure how to deal with something like that (opactity + mask + animation?). Or is there any other way?

Just in case you didn't understand my problem, here are two screenshots of my problem:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/524/9ckq.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/3755/963t.jpg

I'm still trying to learn AE.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Mask Question
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mark8X wrote:

I'm still trying to learn AE.

You're likely jumping too far ahead of yourself. Moving forward without getting a solid foundation is only going to cause frustration. You should start here to learn After Effects.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mask Question
            Mark8X Level 1

Um, excuse me? Did you need some quick feedback award or something?

Anyways, I've already figured it out. I completely missed the Mask's feather feature and it's the perfect remedy for my problem.

• 3. Re: Mask Question
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mark8X wrote:

Um, excuse me? Did you need some quick feedback award or something?

Anyways, I've already figured it out. I completely missed the Mask's feather feature and it's the perfect remedy for my problem.

Just trying to help you. The getting started resources I linked you to cover all of the simple basics, such as mask feathering. If you go through them, you will enjoy AE much more because you will understand it a lot more.