22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 7:33 AM by Peter Spier

In Design Locked Up

DD Design Works Level 1

Program locked up when I tried to close without saving file.

• 1. Re: In Design Locked Up
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Is there a question here? How did you close the program? What version of ID? What OS? Normally ID will ask to save unsaved files on close, so pehaps the dialog is hidden and waiting for you to respond. Does pressing Esc or Enter do anything?

• 2. Re: In Design Locked Up
            DD Design Works Level 1

The question is - Why did it lock up when I tried to close program?  I downloaded from the Cloud.  Pulled up a file to test.  Did some things to see if it worked.  Then tried to close program.  The dialogue box came up asking if I wanted to save.  I tried to click on "No".  Nothing happened.  The only way I was able to close the program was to restart my computer.  When I reopened the dialogue box came up asking me if I wanted to recover my files, again I tried to say "No" but the program locked up.  I closed program from the task manager.

I am using Windows 7.  I am a member of the Cloud, but just started yesterday.  InDesign is the only program I have downloaded since it and Adobe Acrobat are the ones I use.  I have not downloaded Adobe Acrobat yet.

Can you help?

Sending You A Happy Smile From Fairhope,

Deedee

• 3. Re: In Design Locked Up

Is ID updated to 9.1? There are some font problems in 9.0 that could cause this.

• 4. Re: In Design Locked Up
                DD Design Works Level 1

I did the download from the Creative Cloud.  The icon on my desktop says InDesign CC 64 bit.  My computer is 64 bit.  This is very frustrating.  I was having problems with CS5.5.  After chatting with Adobe, I went to the Cloud apps.  I have work I need to do.  Do I just need to download the app again or call tech support?

Going for a bike ride and will check back with you in about 30 minutes.

Deedee

• 5. Re: In Design Locked Up

You need to check if the version you downloaded is 9.0 or 9.1, and install the 9.1 update if it isn't there already.  If you quite the CC Desktop app and restart it's supposed to offer you available updates, but I'm not convinced it always works properly.

• 6. Re: In Design Locked Up
                    DD Design Works Level 1

Thanks for your comments.  You cannot "quit" the program.  I have to restart the pc to close the program.  I would think that since I downloaded last night, it would be the "newest" version. 

I will try to talk to the tech people this afternoon.  Thanks for your comments.

Got to cook lunch now.

Deedee

• 7. Re: In Design Locked Up

You should be able to use the Windows Task Manager to force quit without a restart of the whole machine, but this really sounds like an off-screen dialog waiting for your response.

I'm not sure if they are posting the most current versions for download or not -- they certainly didn't previously -- so you should check.

• 8. Re: In Design Locked Up
                        DD Design Works Level 1

You are correct in that it is waiting for my respons.  However when I click on yes nothing happens.  The last few times I have closed using task manager. But when I reopen in design the same dialogue box is still there not responding to my click on yes.

Sent from DD's IPad

• 9. Re: In Design Locked Up

Have you tried closing the document before quitting? And you can safely empty the InDesign Recovery folder (should be in your user profile under AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 9.0\En-US[or other language, if you aren't using US English]\Caches) to stop the auto-recovery. Since you are actually seeing the dialog and trying to respond this could be some sort of permissions issue.

• 10. Re: In Design Locked Up
                            DD Design Works Level 1

Thanks Peter.  I'll try that, but it will be later today before I can do that.  I run my freelance design out of my home, so sometimes I am late in the evening working on stuff.  Got to do some house stuff before I can get back at trying to resolve the problems.

Is it OK if I contact you through email later?

Deedee

• 11. Re: In Design Locked Up

I tend to be online watching the forum until about 8 pm eastern time.

• 12. Re: In Design Locked Up
                                DD Design Works Level 1

Thanks.

Deedee

• 13. Re: In Design Locked Up
                                  DD Design Works Level 1

Peter,

Thank you for your help yesterday.  I was able late Tues evening to chat online with Adobe.  The guy had me move the en_US file to the desktop.  That made the dialogue box go away and then I was able to work in InDesign.

However, if I have a document I am working on and I am ready to close, the only dialogue box that seems to work is the "save as".  If you do "close" it locks up on the dialogue box.  Also, I wanted to check my pdf presets since I had downloaded the XI version of Acrobat.  After I reviewed those, clicking on "done" did not work.  I had to do "save as" to get out of that dialogue box.

I think I still have a problem.  If you have some suggestions, I would be willing to try.  If not, I'll go back to the chat room tomorrow.

At least I can work on my files.

Deedee

• 14. Re: In Design Locked Up

It might be worth replacing the prefs (you did half of the job yesterday). See Replace Your Preferences

How many monitors do you have? Have you been able to verify if you have the 9.1 patch installed?

• 15. Re: In Design Locked Up
                                      DD Design Works Level 1

I read the replace your prefs info.  I can try that tomorrow.

In the chat room yesterday, the tech guy said I should have the most up-to-date version since my apps fold in The Cloud shows it is up-to-date.  I would assume the patch is in the version you download.  But I could be wrong.

The other thing I noticed when I went to my "all programs" I have InDesign CC (which if I open it, seems to work OK, but the tool bars and all are small).  I also have an InDesign CC (64 bit) which is the one that locks up.  And of course I still have my old InDesign CS5.5 on my hard drive.  CS5.5 is what I used today because the work I needed to do did not require me to change fonts, leading, point size, etc.  That is what is locked up in the CS5.5 version and why I even started this process with Adobe.  Since Adobe was not willing to support CS5.5, I went to the Cloud versions.  I downloaded the Acrobat XI today and it seems to be OK.

I am sure this will eventually get resolved, but at the moment I am frustrated.  Have to go fix supper, so I'll check back in with you tomorrow.

Thanks for listening and for your suggestions.

Deedee

• 16. Re: In Design Locked Up

Go to Program Files and find the InDesign.exe file (there's also one in the Program Files (x86) folder, but that's the 32 bit version). Right click and choose Properties and you chould be able to get the version number. I don't trust the CC app to tell the truth.

• 17. Re: In Design Locked Up
                                          DD Design Works Level 1

The version is 9.1.0.33.  Created 4-24-13.

I am tired of trying to deal tonight.  I am thinking I will just install everything and try starting all over again tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Deedee

• 18. Re: In Design Locked Up

OK, that's good. One more possibility down.

Do you use a font manager? Have you possibly got large fonts enabled as a customization in the Windows interface?

• 19. Re: In Design Locked Up
                                              DD Design Works Level 1

not sure about the large fonts enabled you refer to.  I do not use a font manager.  However, I do have some proprietary fonts that my customers need.  (Frutiger and Helevetic Neu).  I have these in my windows font folder.  I also have them in zip files because sometimes InDesign loses them and I have to reinstall again.

Again, you are great and patient.  I am signing off for the night. Tired Tired.

Deedee

• 20. Re: In Design Locked Up

The fonts you have installed (at least the two you mention) unless damaged should not be a problem withthe 9.1 patch installed.

But I was talking about the sise of the Windows interface fonts for things like labels on icons. You'd probably know if you changed that, but you may have forgotten. Right-click an empty spot on the desktop and choose Personalize, then click Dispaly in the lower left of the screen that comes up. If the radio button is set to Medium or Large, see InDesign tools and panels don't respond to mouse clicks (Windows 7/Vista). The symptoms can go beyond just mouse use. You fix it either by going back to the default font size, or using a Classic theme (that's waht I've done here). It's only the combination of Aero and large fonts that causes trouble.

• 21. Re: In Design Locked Up
                                                  DD Design Works Level 1

Well thank you Peter.  I had a custom desktop, but I changed it to the classic and everything works now in both the CC version of InDesign and fixed the problem I was having in CS5.5.  The closing files in CC and the adjusting leading/fonts in CS5.5 both work now.

Now I just have to decide whether to keep the CC version.  I have already downloaded the Acrobat XI which probably will be good for my work since I do a lot of forms work.  However, the CS5.5 was fine for my needs and now that it is working - not sure about the Cloud.  I do get access to a lot of software that I wanted to try, but just did not want to purchase.  The cost per month is $30 for all the apps and tech assistance.  Not too bad for a business expense.  And it seems that Microsoft and Adobe are both going to Cloud applications rather than disk.

I don't like the Classic look - miss my happy scenes, but I guess I will learn to live with it since it solves all my software technical issues.

Thanks for your patience and all your help.

Deedee

• 22. Re: In Design Locked Up

I've always used a plain gray desktop, but I'm pretty sure you can customize a classic theme to be nearly identical to what you see in Aero.