17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 11:11 AM by rfvind84

No Audio in AVI file

rfvind84

I can play an avi file in Media Player with no problems.  I can import it into APE7 with no problems. When import it into APE 12, I get no audio. Any help would be appreciated.  I have 64 bit Windows 7 on the machine

• 1. Re: No Audio in AVI file
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What is the Audio CODEC, Sample-Rate and Bit-Depth?

Are your two versions of PrE (7 & 12) are on the same computer?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: No Audio in AVI file
            rfvind84 Level 1

Their on different machines. How do I find the the Audio CODEC, Sample-Rate and Bit-Depth?

• 3. Re: No Audio in AVI file
              A.T. Romano Level 7

rfvind84

Two things you could look at

1. If the file is importing into Premiere Elements 7 or 12, right click the file in the media area, select Properties and get a reading for "Source Audio Format".

2. Download and Install the free gspot utility and read the audio information there.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Are both of your computers Windows 7 64 bit...which program is on which?

I understand that you are having an audio problem, nonetheless, please describe the problem clip video as well as audio. What is the video compression for this file, its file extension, as well as the audio properties you are going to get. Is your problem only with this particular clip or do you lose audio with anything video/audio that you bring into Premiere Elements 12?

ATR

• 4. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                rfvind84 Level 1

audio format 32,000hz 16 bit stereo

gspot gives the following

snow bride 001.aviC:\Users\Nancy\Videos\snow bride\snow bride 001.avi27,119,354,8801AVI(.AVI)

Multipart OpenDML AVI (5 parts),0Resize to 656 x 480 (Use +/- for other target sizes)Crop off any non-picture areas, if req'dResize to 360 x 480  ( w:[1/2]  h:[1/1] )Trim 4 from each side for 352 x 480No resize req'dNo cropping req'dResize to 480 x 480  ( w:[2/3]  h:[1/1] )No cropping req'dResize to 360 x 240  ( w:[1/2]  h:[1/2] )Trim 4 from each side for 352 x 240DVDNTSC
                5689DVC/DV VideoCodec(s) are Installeddvsd1.3332:05:2159.94022537729.970

Codec(s) are Installed

• 5. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                  rfvind84 Level 1

The problem occured with both avi files that I tried but not with a .mov file.

Version 7 is on a machine running 32 bit windows 7 and version 12 is on a machine with 64 bit windows 7

• 6. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The reason that I asked about the computers, is that it is possible that one has the necessary CODEC installed (in the OS), but the other does not.

As newer versions of PrE are released, the Audio handling is usually improved. While some features might go by the wayside, the Audio is seldom in that group. OTOH, an Audio CODEC/Format, like AIFF, might not work on one computer, but on another. If you have PCM/WAV for those files, then they SHOULD work, regardless of the Windows computer.

As for gathering the full Audio specifications, a file info utility, such as G-Spot, or MediaInfo, can give you the full specs.

The Audio CODEC is probably the most important, as PrE is pretty good with handling the Sample-Rate and Bit-Depth, but just in case, I asked for those too. For instance, that 32KHz 16-bit Audio, should not present an issue, unless it involves an odd CODEC.

Thanks for the info, and when you do have the CODEC data, please post that too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

rfvind84

Earlier I suggested that you use gspot utility to gather videoaudio properties information that would help to define and solve your issue.

I was not expecting the information in the format presented. What I was hoping for was something that looked like this:

gspot.jpg

The information contained in those fields would be a big help. Could you take another look at the gspot program, make sure you have the correct one as per the link provided

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                        rfvind84 Level 1

The codec is dvsd and gspot says that it is installed

• 9. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

rfvind84

What does it say for the audio?

The dvsd is the video codec (compression). What does it say for the audio...PCM or something else?

What does it say for frame size 720 x 480 or 720 x 576 pixels?

And where is say dar, is that 4:3 or 16:9?

Could you tell us what you are selecting as the project preset in Premiere Elements 12? Are you accepting what the program sets for you or are you setting it yourself? Go to the Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, and please tell us what is listed there for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size. That will give us direction in knowing what has been set for the project settings in 12.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                            rfvind84 Level 1

I am using the program defaults

Frame size = 1920x1080

Editing mode = hd1080i

time base = 29.97 fps

• 12. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

rfvind84

I think that your gspot readout has given us the answer to your problems with your .avi file and Premiere Elements.

You are working with DV AVI Standard video 4:3. This is a native format of Premiere Elements.

The big however is that DV AVI comes in two types, DV AVI Type 1 and DV AVI Type 2. Premiere Elements has problems with the DV AVI Type 1 kind. So the answer is to convert your DV AVI Type 1 into DV AVI Type 2.

You can do that easily with the free DVDate program.

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

Please check it out. If you have any problems, I will post a step by step if necessary.

Thanks for that great screenshot. Looking forward to your results.

ATR

Add On...Based on your video properties your project preset should be

NTSC

DV

Standard

If the program is not setting that for you automatically, then you will have to set the project preset yourself manual before you import your DV AVI Type 2. At this time your major problem is not the project settings, but rather the Type 1 type of DV AVI.

• 13. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                                rfvind84 Level 1

That seems to have fixed it.  Thanks very much.

• 14. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rfvind84

Thanks for the follow up.

Your screenshot of the file readout was the key.

We are very pleased with your success. Good job.

ATR

• 15. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                                    rfvind84 Level 1

DVdate converts from type 1 to type but as it converts, the sound and picture get out of sync about 90 minutes into the movie.  I have seen this on 4 or 5 files I've tried.  Do you any other software suggestions to make the conversion?

• 16. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

rfvind84

The only software that I have used for the DV AVI Type 1 to Type 2 has been the DVDate.

I did find the following online which mentions other possibilities for this conversion.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Canopus-DV-File-Converter

Please check it out as well as the alternatives software that the article suggests.

Have you made changes to the DV AVI Type 1 since it was captured?

We will be watching for your results.

ATR

• 17. Re: No Audio in AVI file
                                        rfvind84 Level 1

I have not changed the AVI file.  Tried the Canopus converter with high hopes since I am using Canopus hardward for the capturing.  Unfortunately the conversion stopped about 20% of the file was processed.  Tried it twice with the same results. Thanks for looking.