1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 12, 2013 7:44 PM by Mi_D

Script to batch export multiple Books (.indb) to PDF

isaac_t

I have multiple InDesign Book files that I would like to batch export to PDFs, respectively. (Not looking to combine multiple books into a single PDF. Just a 1 to 1 PDF export for each Book file.)

In googling for an answer, I found Peter Kahrel's script for doing just this for other InDesign files, but it does not work for Books. http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/batch_convert.html

Does anyone know of a solution (paid or otherwise) for this process?  Opening up each Book and exporting to PDF from the ID menu takes quite a bit of time when doing this for several dozen files.

Looking forward to any discussion to come up with a solution if one can be found... Mr. Kahrel's javascript file is a binary js file, so it can't be modified as is, and other solutions I've found around the web don't clearly state that they work with Book files or not.

• 1. Re: Script to batch export multiple Books (.indb) to PDF
          Mi_D Level 3

try below code

before run script close all indb file

var fileFilters = "InDesign:*.indb*";

var myFolder = Folder.selectDialog ("choose Folder", fileFilters, false);

var files = myFolder.getFiles("*.indb");

for(i = 0; i < files.length; i++)

{

var theDocument = app.open(File(files[i]), true);

with ( theDocument ) {

alert ( theDocument.name)

exportPdf(theDocument)

}

}

function exportPdf(theDocument)

{

myFilePath = myFolder + "/" +  theDocument.name + "_" + ".pdf";

myFile = new File(myFilePath);

theDocument.exportFile(ExportFormat.pdfType, myFile, false, app.pdfExportPresets.item('[Smallest File Size]'));

theDocument.close(SaveOptions.no)

}