1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 11:28 AM by tedonamelia@bellsouth.net

Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

tedonamelia@bellsouth.net Level 1

I recently upgraded to Premier ELements 12 & Photoshop Elements 12. I purchased Classroom in a book for Premier Elements 12. I followed the instructions in the book to load Lesson 01, and now the organizer crashes every time I start it. I tried to rebbot my PC, then shut in down & restarted. Did not help. I have an I7 chip 2600 running at 3.4 gigs, 10 gigs of ram, 2 gigs of video ram, and 1.5 tb free on a 2 tb hard drive. Help!

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

tedonamelia

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

What is the focus of Premiere Elements Classroom in a book Lesson 01...Elements Organizer or something else?

What are you trying to do import files into the Elements Organizer 12?

If this is Elements Organizer related:

a. Open to Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace. As you hold down on the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys (altogether), click and hold that click on the Organizer Tab for about 15 seconds. At the end of that time, you should get a pop up requesting permission to delete the Elements Organizer  settings file. Click Yes.

If that does not help matters, then create a new catalog in the Elements Organizer, under File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager (provided you can get the Elements Organizer to stay open long enough. It should if these Book files are triggering the crashing episodes.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

It did not work. I opened Premier Elements 12 in the expert workspace. I

held down CtrlAltShift keys and held the Organizer Tab at the bottom

of the screen for about 25 - 30 seconds. I never got a pop up. I can't

open Elements Organizer, though I tried to get to the catalog that way.

The program crashes as the Catalog window opens.

I am using Windows 7

Lesson 01 starts by loading class material ( videos ) into the

organizer. There are 16 .mp4 files. They appear to be imported, but show

the sand timer on the clip as though the program was trying to access

the clips for their first frame.

Ted

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

tedonamedia

As you held down on the Ctrl+Alt+Shift, did you click - hold down on the click for 15 seconds or slightly more - and then release just the hold down click (still holding down on the Ctrl+Alt+Shift)?

If all that does not work, then let us try deleting the Elements Organizer settings file this way.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf that you can delete or disable. If you disable, then change the name of the psa.prf file from psa.prt to psa.prtOLD. When you open Premiere Elements 12.0 Elements Organizer 12, a new psa.prf will be generated.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the whole path.

Please keep the Book files out of the equation until we have established the stability of the Elements Organizer 12 itself.

If the stability of the Elements Organizer 12 is compromised by ONLY the Book files, then that is other matter that will be looked at from a different angle.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

What do you mean by "click"? Is that the left mouse button?

I held the CtrlAltShift and then held the left mouse button for over

15 seconds. Nothing happens.

I have been working with computers for over 20 years, but can't find the

file you mention. I can't find some of the folders you mention. I am

working on a PC using Microsoft 7.

Ted

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted

Is your PC Windows 7 64 bit?

Do you have a dot next to the Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives"?

Folder Options.JPG

About the Ctrl+Alt+Shift hold down in conjunction with the click hold click 15 seconds....

That is a left mouse click, the pop up shoud pop up when you release just the hold click after 15 seconds....not happening?

If not, the deletion or disabling of the psa.prf file should be the equivalent.

I do not have Premiere Elements 12 on the computer I am using now. So I am showing you the path to the psa.prf as it relates to version 11.

All is the same for 12 except the folder that you see in the screenshot is named 11.0 instead of 12.0.

psa.prf.JPG

Please let us know if any of the above helps.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

64 bit & there is a dot. Here are 2 screen shots to show that.

Ted

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted

Could you try again with the screenshots? They did not make it into the post. Did you use the camera icon above the Reply field to include them in the post?

Did you get anywhere near what my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit computer showed? I will wait for the screenshots and then we will compare details.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted

Thanks. 

Your Field Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives is in order.

The second screenshot shows your "System Information". It compares to what I have, exceptions include I have Windows 7 Professional SP2 64 bit, I have 8 GB installed RAM.

So, then I ask, "If you explore the Local Disk C" do you see something like what follows?

Local Disk C.JPG

Do we agree as far as to get to Users in the list? Were do we differ after that so that you do not get to:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

As said, what we are after, the psa.prf file, is in that Organizer Folder at the end of the path shown.

Knowing the details of just how far we both follow the same path may help us to decide why the difference and if there is any reason to suspect an incomplete install of some Elements Organizer components.

In the course of your Premiere Elements installation, did you ever encountered any Shared Technologies errors?

More later.

Looking forward to further exchange of information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

I found the file and renamed it. I tried to start the organizer and it still showed the files and crashed. So I rebooted the system and tried again. Same result.

Capture 2.JPGCapture 3.JPG

• 13. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

tedonamelia

Thanks for the additional information.

How many files do you have in the present Elements Organizer 12 catalog?

Can you keep the current Elements Organizer 12 catalog open long enough to get to the Elements Organizer 12 workspace File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager to create a new catalog?

ATR

• 14. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

I was able to access the catalog screen by Ctrl+Shift+C. I repaired it and optimized it, but it still crashes. It will not alow me to rename it as it is "being used by another program"

Capture 4.JPG

• 15. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

tedonamelia

If you can get into the Elements Organizer 12 long enough, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/MediaAnalysis and make sure all the AutoAnalyzer options there are turned off. For that matter everything there turned off. Then check out the Elements Organizer stability.

Depending on the above outcome, consider the new catalog as per the following....

See if this works.

Given the opened Catalog Manager shown in your screenshot in post 14.

Click on New in the dialog and fill in the name of your new catalog, perhaps Catalog 12.

Then click Open. If you have the Premiere Elements workspace opened at this time, the program will insist you close the Premiere Elements workspace in order to continue.

When you do, a new catalog should be in use. You have not deleted your previous one in doing this. Your previous one is just not the "current" one any longer.

How did you establish the Elements Organizer 12 catalog? Was it converted from a prior Premiere Elements version catalog or did you import media specifically into the Elements Organizer 12 when the version 12 was installed? Are those all Book files in the Organizer at this point?

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

I was able to create Catalog 12. I was able to deleat the old catalog. I turned off everything you asked, I think. I was able to load 3,530 files from my pictures folders. I tried 3 times to load video, and each & every time it got up to 150 - 200 files out of 748 and then it crashed.

Capture 5.JPG

Capture 6.JPGCapture 7.JPGCapture 8.JPG

• 17. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

Failed again. I posted new screen shots.

Ted

• 18. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

tedonamelia

Thanks again for continuing with the troubleshooting suggestions.

It might be the time to consider deactivation of the program, uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall.

a. In the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, go to Help Menu/Sign Out and do just that to deactivate the program.

b. Then uninstall the program via the usual Control Panel route.

c. Do a run through with ccleaner (cleaner and registry components)

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

d. Reinstall

I have run into the problem that you have described. But mine was remedied by the deleting the Elements Organizer settings file and/or creating a new catalog...be it on Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit.

Have you uninstalled version 12 previously? There are times when the uninstall/reinstall takes on a life of its own. Sometimes the Shared Technologies error needs to be worked through. Worst case when the program will not reinstall. We do not want to get into either of these situations, but sometimes we get hit when them.

If you are within 30 days of purchase, Adobe Chat may be able to offer some undocumented troubleshooting??

Let me know what you think about the deactivation/uninstall/ccleaner/reinstall idea?

Thanks.

ATR

• 19. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

Should I also do that for Photoshop Elements 12?

Ted

• 20. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

I have downloaded ccsetup407.exe. But I still can access Photoshop

Elements 12, both the catalog & the expert. Should I also sign out on

that program and uninstall both?

Ted

• 21. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted,

Let me ask this. If you leave Premiere Elements 12 closed, go to Photoshop Elements 12 and open the Elements Organizer 12 from there, do you have the same problem if you started on the Premiere Elements 12 side of things?

Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 are standalone programs. And, each comes with its own Elements Organizer 12. When these programs are on the same computer they share a common database.

Keeping all that in mind...

What is ccsetup407.exe? Whether I look at the online tryout download or my installation disc for Premiere Elements 12, this file is named setup.exe.

Ordinarily I would say, deactivate, uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall involving Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12. But, my current experience in that makes me uneasy. My Premiere Elements 12 was working great on Windows 7 64 bit. But the Photoshop Elements 12 Full Editor suddenly could not be opened. I decided to uninstall both as described for you. The bad news was that afterward Photoshop Elements 12 reinstalled with the same issue. But, now I cannot reinstall Premiere Elements 12. I am in process of exhaustive troubleshooting on that.

It may be different for you in your particular situation.

Please let us know what is happening.

Appreciated the follow ups.

Thanks.

ATR

• 22. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted

I do not remember if I mentioned it previously.

In Premiere Elements 12 and Photoshop Elements 12, when you deactivate, you go to the opened project and Help Menu/Sign Off. Previously it was Help Menu/Deactivate.

ATR

• 23. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

I still have Photoshop Elements 10 & Premier Elements 10 loaded on my

PC. SO I went into Premier Elements 10 organizer and looked at that

catalog. It only contained photos. So I imported all of my video into

it. No problem. So then I started Premier Elements 12 organizer, and

converted that catalog. The conversion was "successful", so I selected

the converted catalog and tried to run the organizer. It crashed. I went

back into Premier Elements 10 and that catalog is fine. There must be a

problem with the organizer in 12. And while I appreciate you help, I am

starting to hate Adobe for its lack of support.

Ted

• 24. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted

Good troubleshooting strategy.

Have you passed these latest developments by Adobe via its Adobe Chat? It would be interesting to learn of its take on your troubleshooting results.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=using-my-product-or-se rvice

After that link opens, if you click on "I still need help.", the Adobe Chat pop up appears.

Please remind me, did you download the version 12 tryout from Adobe to determine if its Elements Organizer 12 behaves the same as your Elements Organizer 12?

Now that you have the converted Elements Organizer 10 in 12, please take a look at deleting or disabling that psa.prf file again.

Thanks for all the follow ups.

ATR

• 25. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

I haven't tried the chat as yet, and I didn't download the tryout version. It all started after I downloaded the lessons from Peachpit in their Adobe Premier Elements 12 Classroom in a Book. I have been using Elements off and on for years, but using Pinnacle Studio more often. This new interface intriged me. But after converting the Elements 10 catalog to Elements 12, it still crashes. I first tried to load all the video I need, about 400 files. I got up to 350 + before it crashed. So I then tried to load on group of files, under 150. It actualy made it to telling me there were a few bad files not imported. When I clicked OK, it crashed.

Capture 9.JPG

Capture 10.JPG

• 26. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted

Thanks for the update.

When you were doing the 10 to 12 catalog conversion, were the Book files out of the equation before and after.

That is, when the converted catalog crashed in 12, were the Book files not introduced yet?

ATR

• 27. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

I tried to update the catalog with video files twice. Once, with all of

my working files ( 400 + ), and then with a smaller subset of about 150.

The first time, using all the files, it crashed part way through. The

2nd time, it made it to the end, told me there were a few files that

were would not be imported, I clicked OK and the program crashed.

Ted

• 28. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted

At this time, are you able to pick up on which specific formats that the program is discarding as bad files?

For troubleshooting purposes only....

If you had a clean (empty) catalog and imported 400 jpg photos, would you end up with these same Elements Organizer 12 crashes?

ATR

• 29. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

I do not know which file or files it crashes on. I do not crash with

pictures in the catalog, jpg, bmp, etc.

I just converted my elements 10 catalog, and loaded it into Photoshop

Elements 12. It seemed to be stable. Over 2000 files in the catalog. So

I started Premier Elements 12. It opened the catalog, then a short time

later the program crashed. Now Photoshop Elements crashes too.

So I tried it again. I created a brand new catalog in elements 10 that

contained 3,728 picture & video files. But I did not include the

Peachpit lesson files. When I tried to load it into Photoshop Elements

12, it said it needed to be repaired. I started elements 10 again and

said repair. The program said it didn't need to, but I did it anyway. I

then converted it into Photoshop Elements 12. I was able to get into the

catalog in both  Photoshop and Premier Elements 12. I was able to edit a

picture and a video in both. I am not backing up the catalog and will

then load the peachpit video. Keep your fingers crossed.

Ted

• 30. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

Well, I think it has something to do with the Peachpit files. I was able

to do everything until I imported the Lesson 01 files from Premier

Elements 12 Classroom In A Book. As soon as I did that, the catalog

became unstable. Unfortunately, I don't know the shortcut to get to load

the backup. I will have to go back to elements 10 to get another catalog

to load.

Ted

• 31. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

I reloaded all of the files into elements 10 except the lesson files,

made a backup of the catalog, then imported the catalog into elements

12. Everything is working fine, but the lesson files are not useable.

Ted

• 32. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                                                                  nealeh Level 5

I'd be inclined to report the issue to Peachpit. They had problem files with Classroom PRE10 files and issued replacements on their website. I've checked but there's no updates for PRE12 book yet.

Cheers,
                                                                  --
                                                                  Neale
                                                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 33. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted

There have been reoccuring forum reports about Book files and not being able to import them into the Elements Organizer of earlier versions. But, I do not recall those Book problems being so as intense as those problems encountered with your Elements Organizer 12 experience.

How are you getting these Book files? I went online to see what I could find out about them.

I found that the Adobe books are published by Peachpit a division of Pearson Education. According to a Book excerpt, one gets files online going to peachpit.com and entering a code that is at the back of the Book that you have. Did you do that to get these files?

When they are download, what are the file extensions on them? All .mts or other?

If this is the case, I am wondering if they could have been problems in the downloads, rather produced files in the first place. Did you download with anti-virus and firewalls off during the download and install?

Depending on how things go, look for contact information for the Book publisher and communicate this situation to the publisher.

We will watch for further developments. I would try to use your own files for the excerises until you define the issue with the downloaded files (if that is what you have).

ATR

• 34. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted,

Replying to your post 31.

I did not see nealeh's post until after I had posted (33).

Please review what I have written. If this all did start with a download from the Publisher, then one thought might be to try another download without anti-virus and without firewalls. But, after all you have done, it might be worthwhile to continue the lessons with your personal files, contact the publisher as soon as possible, and, when assured of success, then use the Book files again with caution.

Please let us know the outcome when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

• 35. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

The files are mp4 and jpg. I downloaded the first few lessons again with

Norton's turned off. The organizer for both Photoshop 12 & Elements 12

was working fine. I imported those files into the Organizer. Place

markers appeared in the organizers, and some of them turned into images.

Then the organizer crashed. I tried Photoshop 12 organizer, and that

stopped working too. I redid the catalog for Elements 10 to 12, and I am

now up and running again. The files are definitely the problem. I will

be contacting the publisher tomorrow. How does Adobe put their name on

such garbage.

Ted

• 36. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

I downloaded the first few lessons again with Norton's turned off. The

organizer for both Photoshop 12 & Elements 12 was working fine. I then

imported those files into the Organizer. Place markers appeared in the

organizer, and some of them turned into images. Then the organizer

crashed. I tried Photoshop 12 organizer, and that stopped working too. I

redid the catalog for Elements 10 to 12, and I am now up and running

again. The files are definitely the problem. I will be contacting the

publisher tomorrow. How does Adobe put their name on such garbage.

Ted

• 37. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted

Thanks for the update.

You have put a lot of troubleshooting into this issue, and we hope the rewards are that there is a ready explanation from the publisher along with appropriate corrections on what needs to corrected.

But, please continue with the lessons with your personal files in the meanwhile so that you keep on course with the Premiere Elements learning curve and planned personal projects.

ATR

• 38. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video

Thanks for all of your help. Without it, I would still be suffering. I

have been using video software for years, and only purchased this

training package because of the dramatic change in the editor interface.

I just wrote to Peachpit again. I contacted them 5 days ago, and have

yet to hear from them. I just posted a review on Amazon. If I don't hear

from Peachpit soon, I will return the book to Amazon for a refund and

purchase something else. I can't believe that Adobe would associate

their name with this product. Again, thank you very much.

Ted

• 39. Re: Premier Elements 12 organizer crashes with Lesson 01 video
                                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Ted

Thanks. Hope all turns out well for you.

Be sure to keep a copy of this thread and all documentation you have of the issue and your troubleshooting in case you get any static along the way. Hope not, but just in case.

Hoping for good news.

ATR

1 2 Previous Next