20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 9:14 AM by A.T. Romano

What does Initialzing user interface?

soccerman33

My project will not open.  It says initializing user interface.  It crashes multiple times before this.  Updated the program.  Multiple restarts and have tried to get the program open multiple ways. 

• 1. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

soccerman33

The message is self explanatory. It is working on triggering various processes so that you can import/edit/export.

What do you see in the progression bar beyond "initialing user interface" or does the progress stop there?

There is not enough information provided to get at the core of the issue.

1. What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running on?

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

3. Are you running the program as Run As Administrator or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

4. Is you video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the video card?

5. Is this issue specific to this particular project? Can you open a new project? How long have you been working with this program?

And is this a "it never worked before" or "it worked before but not now"?

6. Have you been moving the source media for this project around after you saved/closed the project?

Lots and lots more Q&A. Let us start here and rule in or out these factors before we progress to others.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
            soccerman33 Level 1

Nothing is happening in the progress bar. It just stops there. I left it overnight and it still said the same thing.

I have run it as a user and administrator.

This is like an hour video I previously had it opened and was working on it and exited out without saving changes on purpose and now I can't get back in.

I have no updates on my computer to update.

I am working with Premier elements nine. I have Windows 7 64bits

I haven't checked the video card driver.

I did try to right-click the troubleshooting and it comes up as an error I also tried to do that through the computer system and I can't get the troubleshooting to work anywhere

I can open up other programs and premier and run them

I also tried to go to the autosave from previous saves and try those and I can't get them open either.

I would really appreciate any help you can give this video is for my team I have 24 hours to make this work or if they're not going to video.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

soccerman33

Let us try to meet the time schedule....

1. If you have not installed the 9.0.1 Update, please do so.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4929

When you open a new project, if you go to Help Menu/About Adobe Premiere Elements..., do you see 9.0.1 at the beginning of the rolling credits?

2. Let us get this clear...is the problem only with the opening of this particular project or can you open a new project without issue? If the issue is just with this one project, then that puts a different angle on the troubleshooting. From what you wrote it sounds like you can open a new project in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1. Is that correct?

3. Although you have Windows 7 64 bit, your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is still a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system and as such has the limitations of 32 bit system, namely, maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3 GB or less of that is available? How large is this project that you are trying to open? And, have you moved or deleted any of the source media that you imported into it AFTER you closed/saved the project last?

4. If you go to the AutoSave Folder in Documents, can you open one of the saved snapshots of that project there by right clicking one of the AutoSaves, selecting Open With, and then Premiere Elements 9? Just asking since I was not sure how you opened AutoSaves in your troubleshooting.

5. Please review the following Adobe document on troubleshooting damaged projects to see if any of the systematic troubleshooting helps.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                soccerman33 Level 1

I have done the update

Only with this particular project.

I have tried other auto saves and they will not open.

I took it to work and I did get it to open

There off a flash drive but it was asking me for files. I guess I didn't bring all the video files. I do skip all and it did open with none of the video files.

I assume that there is a corrupt file somewhere then.

I am trying to move the file to a different location. Do I need to delete where it was originally?

Sent from my iPhone

• 5. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                  soccerman33 Level 1

This is a large video I have no idea how to tell how big but an hour in length over 4mb I would assume.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

soccerman33

Great news, sounds like major progress.

Round up all the media that went into the project so that you know exactly where it is on the hard drive.

Launch the project wherever it opens. You should be greeted by "Where is the file.....?" messages. Each message will name a specific file. From that message browse to where you know the file is and click Select. Then do that for each of the other "Where is the file....?" messages. At the end, you should be in the open project ready to go.

There is another way using the Replace Footage feature. But, try the "Where is the file....?" messages first.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

Make a copy of the file and work from the copy for now.

Please let me know how you do with the above suggestions. I can fine tune them even further if necessary.

Looking forward to your progress. You are doing a great job if you were able to open that project.

An important aspect of working with these projects is to realize that you cannot move or delete the source media that went into a project after you have saved closed the project.

Once you get this project taken to a successful completion, you might want to explore the Project Archiver/Archive or Copy option to avoid missing media situations.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

ATR

• 7. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                      soccerman33 Level 1

So when where is the file appears, will it be the edited version that I already did or is it going to replace all those files with the unedited ones?

Do I have to delete the original file location to Make it prompt where is the file?

Sent from my iPhone

• 8. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                        soccerman33 Level 1

I never moved or deleted any files when this happened. I was trying to improve a few slides and having trouble getting it to do what I wanted. I exited without saving on purpose. No files were ever deleted or moved during that time. When I tried to reopen to again make changed it would not open.

Sent from my iPhone

• 9. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                          soccerman33 Level 1

I tried it from other saved location. It says a serious error has occurred...

Sent from my iPhone

• 10. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                            soccerman33 Level 1

Now I get a runtime error

Sent from my iPhone

• 11. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

The only way to assure the edited version of what you had is with Replace Footage. But, I think that the "Where is the file...?" should do like wise. Please check it out.

I think you will do OK with edits with "Where is the file....?". If not, you can switch to Replace Footage.

What you would do there

1. Bypass all the Where is the file...? messages with Skip All in the first one of those that you encountered. Then do the Replace Footage as detailed in the blog post.

But let me backup, are you now getting the Where is the file...? messages or are you stuck again with a project that will not open?

Did you go through the whole list of systematic Adobe troubleshooting in the article that I posted a link to?

When you open the project you should be getting the "Where is the file...?" message. If for some reason, you are not, then do the Replace Footage in the open workspace with all the color full media offline displays.

Please check me out as I wrote to make sure that I am not misinterpreting any of your results.

ATR

• 12. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

soccerman33

What did you move to another location and got the serious error? And, runtime error? Where did you move it from and to?

Shutdown the computer and restart what you were doing?

We will be watching for your progress.

If necessary, post a recap to make sure that we are in sync on what you are doing and where.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                                  soccerman33 Level 1

I tried and I got a system error. The program would not open and prompt the where is the file on my home computer where I created it. I'm going to try on my work one tomorrow morning because that at least got to theta prompt.

I did go through the whole list if troubleshooting. From the link.

I have issues every year if some sort with this video and premier elements. I really think it can't handle a large program like this.

I still can't open the program. We will see what a different computer in the morning will make.

Hopefully I get the prompt and can replace footage from  there. I'm really afraid that it will do the unedited versions because that is how the file exist and the was edited In premiere.

Thanks for your links and suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone

• 14. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                                    soccerman33 Level 1

I moved the file to a different location on

My computer because that is what the troubleshooting said to do so it would prompt

Where is the file? When I then tried to open it front that other location it had the run time/ serious error. I will try to shut down and restart.

Sent from my iPhone

• 15. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

soccerman33

I am going to be signing off. Late here.

I will check your thread in the morning for your further developments.

Depending on how things are going, we might recap to start off the day.

Thanks for your follow ups and troubleshooting.

ATR

• 16. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                                        soccerman33 Level 1

Well I got to the point where it asked me for files put them in and then it crashed again and still didn't

Open.

I'm trying again to add the files again

To see what happens

Sent from my iPhone

• 17. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                                          soccerman33 Level 1

I have now put in the files 2 times and it stops responding and closes. It won't let me skip all and get to the replace footage part because it stops respondingans closes the program

Sent from my iPhone

• 18. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Soccerman33,

So when where is the file appears, will it be the edited version that I already did or is it going to replace all those files with the unedited ones?

In the case of Premiere Elements, and most NLE's (Non Linear Editors), the media files are not included in the PREL (the PrE Project file). Also, the original files are not actually edited, as PrE is a non-destructive editor. What the PREL contains is a series of Links to the original media. Then, the data from those original files is read. If, for instance, one has used only a part of that original media, and has set In & Out Points, ONLY that part of the data in the original media files is read. That is what is displayed on the Timeline. The original files remain, just as they were, prior to being Imported and edited. No changes are made - just a set of "instructions," in SML code is created.

When one outputs that Timeline, the program reads exactly what data is required, from those instructions, then it is read, and processed, again per the instructions, and a new file (the output file) is created from the data.

Bottom line is that your original files are untouched, other than having the data read for first display purposes, and then for the creation of the output file, reflecting the editing done in the Timeline.

This is just for background, so that you know what PrE is, and is not doing with your original files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                                              soccerman33 Level 1

Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my iPhone

• 20. Re: What does Initialzing user interface?
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

soccerman33

Continuing from your post 17....

Stay with the "Where is the file....?" for now unless there have been further developments since you posted in 17.

When you begin the message drill, does the program allow you to go through all the messages sequentially. It sounds like it is not. How many can you get done before the program becomes unresponsive?

Please clarify about Replace Footage and not being able to use Skip All. Does that happen only after you are into the "Where is the file...?" and you decide to Skip All? If so, have you tried to hit Skip All when you see the very first "Where is the file...?" message?

Are there any troubleshooting steps in the Adobe Damaged Project document that you have not gone through yet?

Let us start here and see what we can put together.

Thanks.

ATR