6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 9:25 AM by the_wine_snob

music

mich1942

I have started a project when I inserted some music from the toolbar I cannot hear it play. I preview the music and it played. I also started a new project and I could hear the mucis. I checked the options and they were all set right. What could be the problem?

• 1. Re: music
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mich1942

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is this music that you are inserting from the "toolbar"....SmartSound music, Music Scores, or something else?

Where did you preview the music? If SmartSound, in the SmartSound area before music was sent to Premiere Elements workspace?

Are you saying that first project did not work, second project did work? If so, after that episode, has it worked consistently?

Answers are in details. So, looking forward to more details for us to help you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: music
            mich1942 Level 1

I am using Premiere element 12. I have a windows 7 machine driven by a quad 4 processor with 4 GB of video RAM. I am using the 64 bit version of Premiere element 12. I am using Smartsound which I brought. I preview the music first in the audio window. When I found the score that I liked I  added it to the soundtrack in Premiere Element 12. The score did not play on the soundtrack. I then preview the soundtrack again in the audio window and it played. I started a new project to test to see if the soundtrack would play in a new project setting. It did. Went back to my old project to play the score again. Same results. I checked the  preference setting to see if any setting were clicked off. They were the same as the setting for the test project. What do you think the problem could be? I have a lots of hours invested in my project and I don't want to start over. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• 3. Re: music
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mich1942

Are those SmartSound soundtracks in wav format or other? There are no signs of the SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro 5 soundtracks in version 12. Instead there are Music Scores which are in concept similar to the SmartSound approach to music arrangement with varying durations. But there is no SmartSound name associated with them.

But, that is neither here nor there, if you say that the issue is that the same SmartSound soundtrack plays in one project but not another.

How large was the project when you introduced the soundtrack into the project at the soundtrack level?

If you place non SmartSound music on the soundtrack, do you have this issue?

Also, if you put the SmartSound soundtrack on one of the Audio tracks or even the Narration Track, does the problem still exist? Are you working in the Expert workspace of Premiere Elements 12? If you are, switch temporarily to the Quick workspace and determine if the soundtrack plays in the soundtrack there.

We will be looking for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: music
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Mich1942,

First, ATR has posed some very good questions. Once you have been able to answer those, I would like to make this observation:

I am using Smartsound which I brought.

Though SmartSound seems to not be a part of PrE 12, at any level, SmartSound music can be used in PrE 12, but not in the same manner, as with PrE 11, or earlier versions.

For a bit of history, once SmartSound was available in PrE with the use of a plug-in, QuickTracks. However, there was another program from SmartSound, Sonicfire Pro, which was not a plug-in, but was a stand-alone SmartSound editing application. At a point, a version of SmartSound's Sonicfire Pro WAS released as a plug-in, and was incorporated into later versions of PrE, up until things changed with PrE 12. Then, Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks, was included in PrE. That Express Tracks version was free.

Some years before, a second, paid version of Sonicfire Pro was added - Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition. With the SmartSound Multi-Track music, that version (about US $115) allowed even more control, when editing. While it could also edit the non-Multi-Track SmartSound music, it did not offer its full power, as with the Multi-Track music. For some years, that Scoring Edition was ONLY available as a stand-alone. I used it often (actually on nearly every Project), but as it was not a plug-in, I had to incorporate a few additional steps into my workflow. First, I would edit my Timeline (both the Audio & Video), without any Soundtrack. When finished, I would output a "reference file," with all my editing done - again, both Audio & Video. I would Import that into Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition, then use the Maestro function in Sonicfire Pro, to select the SmartSound music and version, that I wanted. I would add that to my SmartSound Soundtrack in Sonicfire Pro, and edit as necessary. I could add different SmartSound music, for the full Duration of that reference file, altering my SmartSound, as needed, to say attenuate the music (or even change it up greatly, if it was Multi-Track music). When I had completed my scoring, I would just Export my full, scored music track to a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, to my HDD.

Then, back in PrE (or PrPro), I would Import that PCM/WAV, and drag it to my Timeline - done! For housekeeping, I would just Delete that reference file. Now, if I needed to change things in my edit, the process would need to be redone - a new reference file would be output, then Imported into Sonicfire Pro, replacing the previous one. Within Sonicfire Pro, I could use some of my old edits to the SmartSound score, but more often (depending on the re-edits), would just completely redo my score.

That was simplified, when Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition became a Premiere (or After Effects) plug-in, but worked fine for many years, and many Projects. That workflow could be utilized with PrE 12, and SmartSound music. Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks is still free, and Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition (paid version) are still available, and can be used as a stand-alone. Your investment in SmartSound music is safe, and can be used, but with PrE 12, it just needs to be used with the old workflow.

If one is not going the full route with "scoring" a Project, as I outline above, one could do a "quick" version, without the reference file, by just using the PrE Timeline's WAB (Work Area Bar), to measure the Duration needed for a segment of the Timeline, then go to Sonicfire Pro, to create the music (from SmartSound libraries), for that scene, or segment. This would be done for each scene or segment, with an Export of the SmartSound music to a PCM/WAV, to be Imported, and placed on the PrE Timeline.

As for the music in PrE 12, you and ATR need to exchange a bit more info, but take heart, your SmartSound music can still be used - just not in the way it was in PrE 11.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: music
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

As for the music in PrE 12, you and ATR need to exchange a bit more info, but take heart, your SmartSound music can still be used - just not in the way it was in PrE 11.

Since you are very involved with SmartSound soundtrack in the versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 12, I would ask "When you say "just not in the way it was in PrE 11, could you clarify?"

a. The SmartSound soundtrack "borrowed" from 11 and earlier...that needs to be in a .wav format???

b. Once the SmartSound soundtrack "borrowed" is used in 12 or earlier and is cut to specific duration, in .wav format, does it still retain its property to have its duration altered without impacting the music arrangement?

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: music
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Since you are very involved with SmartSound soundtrack in the versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 12, I would ask "When you say "just not in the way it was in PrE 11, could you clarify?"

Certainly. In PrE 11, one used the Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks plug-in. I do not believe that that will work in PrE 12, as it appears that Adobe has changed things in the newer version. Still, using the workflow that I outlined, the SmartSound music CAN be used, but not directly, as in earlier versions. Things will not be as seamless, as before, but any SmartSound music (purchased, or provided in either earlier versions of PrE, or several other NLE programs) can be used. One would just rely on the free download of Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks from SmartSound, using it as a stand-alone. The same would be for Sonicfire Pro Scorting Edition (paid version).

As for the two parts of the question:

a. The SmartSound soundtrack "borrowed" from 11 and earlier...that needs to be in a .wav format???

b. Once the SmartSound soundtrack "borrowed" is used in 12 or earlier and is cut to specific duration, in .wav format, does it still retain its property to have its duration altered without impacting the music arrangement?

My SmartSound library has the music in the SmartSound, proprietary format of .SDS. That, when used with the Sonicfire Pro plug-in, in Premiere (either version) or After Effects, would produce a PCM/WAV in the Project. In the old workflow, listed above, one needed to manually Export to a PCM/WAV file. Going back a bit, there was a limitation with the SmartSound files, created from the plug-in for Premiere - they could be shortened on the fly, with no problems. However, and unlike the SmartSound plug-in for a few other NLE's, such as Pinnacle's Studio and AVID's Liquid, they could not be lengthened on the fly. I do not know if the "Pinnacle method," was included with PrE 11's Sonicfire Pro plug-in, but should be able to check that out. This limitation was a difference in how Premiere handled Audio vs how Pinnacle/AVID handled it.

This is extremely important to me, as I have a vast library of SmartSound music. In my case, I just have to revert to an older workflow - one that I needed to use, before Sonicfire Pro became a plug-in.

Now, what I hope to explore in depth, is whether Sonicfire Pro CAN be "added" as a plug-in to PrE 12, sort of like, adding Neat Video's plug-in to PrE. That remains a question for now, and one that I have asked SmartSound's support team. Intend to have more soon.

Hope that helps,

Hunt