6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 12:48 PM by SteveH59

Own DVD menu?

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

When I click on Publish+Share (Elements 11) and then 'Disk', a message pops-up reminding me that I do not have a menu associated with my
      project. If I click on 'Yes', I would like to include one, I am invited to choose from an attractive array of themes such as 'Pet's, 'Seasons', etc.

If, however, I preferred my own menu - consisting of just one still photo of my own at the very beginning on my very simple movie project - how would I go about that? I have placed a marker at the very beginning of my 20-minute movie and a 'stop marker' at the end AND before my slideshow
      begins, so my main menu (labelled on my single photo at the beginning) would actually only show:

Main

Slideshow

If the viewer clicks on 'Main' then the movie begins; if he clicks on 'Slideshow', he is taken to the beginning of the slideshow.

That's the idea, anyway!

• 1. Re: Own DVD menu?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

One CAN create their own Menu Sets for PrE, but there are many specific design and structural considerations that are not only important, but mandatory. If one is familiar with the PrE Menu Sets construction, and the naming conventions, then in Photoshop, they can create them. However, as those naming, and structural conventions are a bit complex, I find it easiest to either start with a Menu Set that is "about" what I want, or to have one of the Menu Set Templates open in Photoshop, as a reference.

Now, for what it sounds that you want, you CAN add your own Still Image to be the background. You can also Delete some of the Buttons, but take care there, as the authoring, and navigation in PrE are done semi-automatically, and certain attributes are expected by the program.

If you want to start with a "clean slate," then the blank Menu in this thread, might be of use to you? http://forums.adobe.com/message/5700288#5700288

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Own DVD menu?
            SteveH59 Level 1

Hello Hunt

It looks as if I have stepped into a bit of a minefield there: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5700288#5700288

I'll take a look at the menu sets again and see if one is 'about' what I want (as you put it!).

Thanks again.

Steve

• 3. Re: Own DVD menu?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Yes, creating PrE Menu Sets CAN be a "can of worms." This thread in the Ps Forum gives some tips, points out some pitfalls, and hopefully covers most bases: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2490846#2490846

Even having done the creation process, it's easy to make a mistake, or two, as evidenced by that other thread.

Starting with a Menu Set, which is "close," is my recommendation. Then, with careful modification, one can probably get about what they want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Own DVD menu?
                SteveH59 Level 1

Thanks again for that, Hunt.

I'll take a look at the Muvipix site for some ideas.

Cheers!

• 5. Re: Own DVD menu?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

SteveH59

We would be glad to help get you the menu that you need for your project.

Is this going to be DVD-VIDEO widescreen or standard on DVD disc?

What are the pixel dimensions of the photo insert that you want on the main menu?

Based on what you wrote, I am thinking about a one page menu with two buttons, for one continuous "Movie" and one "Slideshow".

On the Timeline, "Movie" would have a stop marker at its end, followed by few frames gap, followed by the slideshow which would have a main menu marker at its beginning.

Do you have a preference for the location of the Movie Title in contrast to the "Movie" and "Slideshow" buttons on the main menu page? Do you want audio in the background of the main menu as well as a still?

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Own DVD menu?
                    SteveH59 Level 1

Hello ATR

I've actually burnt the DVD now, ATR, but thanks anyway.

It's nice to know that, in theory at least, it can be done.

I think the menus contained in Elements 11 are attractive and professional but, of course, they are not specific. The wedding menu, for instance, looks great, but not if you intend to get married as Elvis and Pricilla. Then you would need to customise the menu - and considerably!

Thanks again.

Steve